This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
A shredded rotisserie chicken is a versatile and tasty option for a quick and easy dinner. But, there are situations when you may wish to store some for later and wonder, Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken?
Here, we’ll find out if and how well rotisserie chicken freezes.
Can You Freeze Rotisserie Chicken?
You may indeed freeze rotisserie chicken for later use. In fact, this cooked chicken can be frozen to maintain its quality and texture. To have a ready supply of protein for last-minute meals.
As rotisserie chicken is already cooked and seasoned, it can be used in a number of ways. With little additional preparation time and is hence a common choice for freezing.
However, correct freezing techniques are necessary to keep the quality of store bought rotisserie chicken preserved and prevent freezer burn. You can even freeze a whole rotisserie chicken.
Can You Freeze a Whole Cooked Rotisserie Chicken?
Yes, a whole-cooked rotisserie chicken is safe to be frozen. But some measures must be taken to guarantee that the frozen chicken will remain tasty and safe to eat.
No matter what, we always advise shred the chicken from the bones. Either cutting it into parts or leaving it whole. If you plan to freeze the chicken in portions, make sure to wrap each serving firmly. We recommend wrapping in aluminum foil or plastic wrap before putting it in a freezer bag.
How To Freeze a Rotisserie Chicken
Indeed, one of the best ways to extend the life of a rotisserie chicken is to freeze it. That said, instructions for how to freeze a rotisserie chicken are as follows:
- After cooking the raw chicken, it needs to cool down entirely. You should allow up to 30 minutes for this.
- Once the chicken has cooled, the meat can be easily removed from the bones. You can use your hands or a knife to accomplish this.
- Pack the chicken into a freezer-safe container or bag, pressing out as much air as you can.
- Write the current date and what’s inside the container’s label.
- Put the bag or container in the freezer, and you’re good to go. Freeze the cooked chicken for a delicious meal.
Freezing a whole chicken is at its peak freshness and flavor when utilized within three to four months of being frozen. After that period, it might still be edible, but the flavor might be compromised.
How To Thaw Rotisserie Chicken
Frozen Rotisserie chickens may be defrosted in a matter of hours. Here’s what you can do to thaw the chicken and the chicken broth:
Place the rotisserie chicken in the refrigerator after removing it from the freezer. The recommended thawing time is 24 hours in the fridge.
The rotisserie chicken can be thawed more quickly in the microwave if needed. Take the chicken out of its packing and set it on a plate suitable for microwaving. The chicken should be defrosted in the microwave for 7 to 10 minutes per pound.
The chicken can also be thawed by immersing it in cold water. Which can be added to a big bowl or pot. To keep the water cool, replace it every 30 minutes. With this procedure, the chicken should thaw for around 30 minutes per pound.
How To Reheat Rotisserie Chicken
It’s essential to reheat rotisserie chicken carefully so that it retains its flavor and tenderness and is eaten safely. Here are a few suggestions for warming up leftover rotisserie chicken:
- Turn on the oven and set the temperature to 350°F (175 degrees Celsius).
- Arrange the chicken in a baking dish and add a small amount of liquid, such as chicken stock or water.
- Wrap the dish in foil and bake for 20-30 minutes, checking the temperature every 5 minutes.
- After the last 5-10 minutes of baking, take the foil off for crispier skin.
- The chicken should be placed on a microwave-safe platter, then covered with a damp paper towel.
- For best results, heat in the microwave for 1-2 minutes on high.
- Don’t let the chicken get overcooked or it will dry out and become harsh.
- Add one to two tablespoons of oil or non-stick cooking spray to a skillet.
- Settle on medium-high for the burner. When the oil has reached a smoking point, add the chicken.
- Cook for 5 to 10 minutes, stirring regularly, or until cooked all the way through.
Air Fryer Method
- Turn on the air fryer and set the temperature to 350°F (175 degrees C).
- Cook the rotisserie chicken pieces in the air fryer basket for about 4-5 minutes.
- Take the chicken out of the air fryer and dig in.
All in all, reheating chicken safely while retaining its moisture and flavor is possible with just a few easy steps. We hope you’ll find these suggestions useful for reviving the flavor of your rotisserie chicken leftovers.
Ways to use leftover rotisserie chicken
We can all agree that rotisserie chicken is a convenient and quick alternative for dinner. But what do we do with the leftovers?
Here, we’ll go through several simple and tasty ways to repurpose your leftover rotisserie chicken:
If you give any of these recipes a shot, we hope you like them as much as we do. Nonetheless, you will never go out of choices with this wide variety of leftover rotisserie chicken recipes to choose from.