Have you ever wondered Can you Freeze Ham? We will show you how to freeze ham and ways to use your leftover ham. Easy steps to save your ham.
Can you Freeze Ham?
Yes, you can freeze ham. We cook ham often during the holidays, especially Christmas and Thanksgiving. But most of the time we end up with leftovers. We didn’t want it to go to waste, so we froze the ham.
Freezing ham makes sure that you don’t throw our perfectly good meat that can be used in other recipes. Ham that is cooked, fresh or sliced can be frozen and we have the steps to help you do that.
Leftover ham is also good in other recipes, such as soups, omelets and casseroles. Ham and scallop potatoes is one of our favorite meals. Save time and money and freeze your ham.
If you love this tip, make sure to check out all my favorite ways to save money on groceries.
Can you Freeze Cooked Ham?
Most hams that you buy at the grocery store are already cooked. You can easily place in the freezer as soon as you get it home, or within 2 days. If you place in the refrigerator you will need to cook within 2 days.
If you place ham in the freezer and then cook it in the crock pot, instant pot, or oven baked ham, you can freeze your leftovers again. Which means that your ham is cooked twice.
How to Freeze Ham?
If you have leftover ham, whether you have slice ham, whole ham or ham hock you can freeze it. These different types of ham can be store in the refrigerator. But it will only be good for up to 5 days. Take an extra 30 minute and prepare your freezer bags.
Since ham is cured meat, it freezes great. As long as you follow these steps to freezing your ham, it will be great for another meal. This sweet and savory meat can be enjoyed up to year when stored in the freezer.
The main thing to remember is to let it cool in the refrigerator before freezing.
How to Freeze the Whole Ham?
These are the steps to freeze the Whole Ham:
- Wrapping Ham – When wrapping ham make sure to use aluminum foil or freezer paper. I like to first wrap in plastic wrap.
- Place in freezer container – Once your ham is wrapped, place in a freezer air tight container or a freezer gallon size zip lock bag then seal.
- Label – Label the contents of the bag so you know what it contains and when you placed in the freezer. This is so you can keep track of how long the ham has been frozen.
- Freeze – Once ham is wrapped, sealed in a container and labeled, place in the freezer. It is best to enjoy within 6 months to a 1 year.
Can I Freeze Ham Slices?
Freezing sliced ham is a great way to freeze individual servings. This is a great way to take out smaller portions of your sliced cooked ham for when you want to sand which or a light dinner.
- Slice Ham – You can slice or dice ham to your preference of thickness or size. It will depend on how you will be using as your leftover.
- Separate Ham – Decide how much you want in each individual servings.
- Place in container – Place the ham in freeze safe container or zip lock freezer bags. Make sure you get all the air out.
- Label – Make sure to label the ham so you know what is the container and how long. This will help you to unthaw the right one.
How to Freeze the Ham Bone?
We love freezing the ham bone. Any meat that is attached to the ham bone, I place in a zip lock freezer bag and label it.
Ham bone is good for soups or beans. The Ham Bone gives your dish so much flavor.
How to Thaw Ham
When you are ready to thaw your ham, place in the refrigerator. It usually takes about 24 hours to defrost your ham. It all depends on the size of your ham.
To make sure you do not lose any moisture in the ham, make sure to wrap in foil. Since the ham is cooked, you can eat it straight from the fridge or heat. My family loves to have warm ham sandwiches.
Can you Refreeze Thawed Ham?
Ham is able to refreeze after you have thawed it. You might lose some of the moisture but these steps will help keep the ham fresh and juicy.
- Make sure you let the ham thaw in the refrigerator.
- If you have unthawed to much ham, make sure to refreeze within 3 days of thawing it.
- If you ham has been sitting out for over 2 hours at room temperature, it can not be frozen again.
- Make sure to follow the steps to freezing your ham. This helps to avoid freezer burn.
Uses for Cooked Ham:
Cooked Ham is great for many different ham recipes. These are our favorites.
- Ham and Cheese Omelets
- Ham and Bean Crock Pot Soup
- Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole
- The Best Ham and Cheese Sliders
How long is a Ham good in the Freezer?
It depends on if your ham is cooked or uncooked. Uncooked Ham is good in the freezer for up to 6 months. Cooked ham should be eaten within about 4 months.
Best Ham Recipes
Print Instructions on how to freezer ham here:
How to Freeze Ham
- Wrap the ham in foil or freezer paper.
- Place in a freezer container or freezer bag.
- Label the bag or container and freeze.
- Defrost out in the refrigerator for 24 hours, then reheat and it’s ready to enjoy.
Slice the ham based on your preference.
Separate the ham in individual serving sizes.
Then place these amount in freezer containers or bags.
Label the bag or container and then freeze.