Slow cooker beef bourguignon sounds fancy and tastes amazing but the recipe is so easy to make. The beef is tender and the broth is savory from being slow cooked with mushrooms, onions and more.
What is Bourguignon?
Bourguignon is a type of cooking that is found in a the French region of Bourgogne. This is also called Burgundy so you may hear some people refer to this recipe as Beef Burgundy instead of Beef Bourguignon. They both mean the same thing.
What cut of beef is best for beef bourguignon?
- We used a chuck roast but you can use other cuts of beef.
- Other cuts of beef include: round steak, stew meat and sirloin.
- Some people even use brisket.
- Tip: Use what is on sale. It will be tender and amazing either way because it was slow cooked all day!
- Chuck Roast, – cut this into small pieces. I usually do about 1 inch slices.
- Carrots, peeled and cut into large pieces
- White Onion, diced
- Sliced Mushrooms
- Minced Garlic – minced is best but garlic powder will work in a pinch.
- salt and pepper
- Red Wine or Cooking Wine
- Beef Broth
- tomato Paste
- Dried Thyme
- Bay Leaves
- Fresh Parsley, chopped
How to make slow cooker beef bourguignon:
- 1. First, saute the bacon using a large skillet. Cook until the bacon is crispy and remove from the pan. Make sure to leave the bacon grease in the skillet because this will give the dish so much flavor.
- 2. Second, dredge the beef in flour and put in the skillet directly in the bacon grease. Saute just long enough on each side to brown the beef. This does not take long since you are only slighly browning the meat. Usually about 5 minutes. Once brown, move the beef and put with the bacon you set aside earlier.
- Next, chop the bacon so it is in small pieces.
- Now it is time to add the beef, bacon, onions, carrots, red wine, thyme, mushrooms and bay leaves to your crock pot. I used a 6 quart crock pot.
- Next, get a medium bowl and whisk the tomato paste into the beef broth and pour this mixture over everything in the crock pot.
- Finally, cook everything on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours. I prefer to cook this on low because the meat gets even more tender and the broth has more time to simmer together.
- Take the bay leaves out and serve! We top with fresh parsley but that is optional.
How to thicken:
- Remove a cup of the broth and add 1 to 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Whisk together and pour back into the crock pot. Gently stir everything together and you should have a thicker broth now.
- Just make sure to do this at the end right before serving. You don’t want it to get too thick so never do this at the beginning of the cooking process. It is best to wait and see what is needed.
What to serve with crock pot beef bourguignon recipe:
- Enjoy plain just as you would a stew.
- You can also serve over egg noodles or any type of pasta. Rice is also good and we also like mashed potatoes.
- If you want to add a green veggie, try Delicious Roasted Green Beans for something really easy but tasty.
- Crusty Bread is always a good idea to dip into that amazing broth. Yum! We love this Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe but you can also grab something from the bakery.
- Crockpot – I like this programmable crock pot if I am going to be away all day. I also really love my Ninja cooker because you can brown the beef right in the same pan. This is nice to not dirty up a bunch of dishes. You can brown the beef and bacon and not use a skillet.
- Crock pot liners –clean up is super easy with these and you will appreciate the time saved during busy weeks.
Try this delicious recipe.
We love using the slow cooker because it is so nice to come home to dinner waiting. You can also make this in a dutch oven but the crock pot is my preferred method. It’s so easy and turns out perfectly every time.
Make this for your family and see how delicious it is.
Print this slow cooker beef bourguignon recipe below:
Slow cooker beef bourguignon sounds fancy and tastes amazing but the recipe is so easy to make. The beef is tender and the broth is savory.
- 3 lbs Chuck Roast cut into 1 inch pieces
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 large Carrots peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1/2 White Onion diced
- 8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
- 2 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Flour
- 3 cups Red Wine or Cooking Wine
- 2 cups Beef Broth
- 2 Tbsp tomato Paste
- 1/2 tsp Dried Thyme
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley chopped
Sauté the bacon in a large skillet over medium heat until the bacon is cooked through and crispy. Remove the bacon from the skillet to a separate dish and leave the bacon grease in the skillet.
Coat the beef in the flour and then add the beef to the skillet and sauté on medium high heat to brown the beef (cook approximately 5 minutes). Note: You may have to cook in batches based on the size of your skillet. Once the beef is browned, remove the beef to the same dish as the bacon.
Chop the bacon into smaller pieces. Add the beef, bacon, onions, carrots, red wine, thyme, mushrooms and bay leaves to a 6 quart crock pot. Whisk the tomato paste into the beef broth and pour this mixture over the ingredients in the crock pot.
Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
Remove the bay leaves and serve topped with the fresh parsley and enjoy!