This Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken Tacos Recipe is a fun twist to a traditional taco recipe. The chipotle peppers and adobo sauce add an amazing flavor to this recipe.
Crock Pot Chicken Chipotle Tacos Recipe:
You’ll love serving this recipe on Taco Tuesday instead of your usual options. The taste combination is unique but tastes absolutely delicious once it’s all combined together.
You can control the spiciness level by how many chipotle peppers are added to this recipe. Therefore, this recipe can easily be modified to suit anyone’s taste preference. Chicken Adobo Tacos have become a family favorite and they are easy to make.
Once you combine the seasoning, everything is poured in the crock pot. The seasoning give the chicken so much flavor. The chicken is then shredded to be used in many different ways.
What is Adobo?
Adobo means a few different things. But for this recipe we are referring to the adobo sauce with chipotle peppers in a can. Some refer to this sauce as a marinade for the chipotle peppers.
The sauce is a darker red color. It is generally made from a combination of chili powder, vinegar, sugar, garlic and herbs. Since the chipotle peppers are soaking in this sauce, this provides the sauce with a smoky flavor as well.
- White Onion
- Minced Garlic or garlic powder
- Adobe Sauce from a Small Can of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
- Chipotle Peppers from a Small Can of Chipotles in Adobo Sauce
- Ancho Chili Powder
- Olive Oil
- Dried Oregano
- Fresh Lime
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts
- Avocado (Optional)
- Corn Tortillas
How to Make Adobo Chicken Tacos:
- Mix together Adobo Sauce Ingredients – Combine the adobe sauce, chipotle peppers, and ancho chili powder.
- Blend until smooth – Then add in olive oil, cumin, dried oregano, fresh lime juice, onion and garlic in a food processor. Then blend until these ingredients are smooth.
- Add everything to Crock Pot – After that, put the chicken and the chipotle sauce you just created in the crock pot.
- Cook on low or high – Cook on low for 8-10 hours. However, you can also cook it for 4 hours on high if you need it to be ready quicker.
- Shred the Chicken – After it has slow cooked, remove the chicken and shred with 2 forks.
- Mix the Shredded Chicken and Sauce together – Then return the shredded chicken to the crock pot and mix with the sauce.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve on the corn tortillas or flour tortillas topped with the chopped cilantro and avocados.
Is Adobo Sauce Spicy?
The Adobo Sauce is a combination of chipotle peppers and chili powder this sauce can be spicy. The adobo sauce also has vinegar, garlic and fresh herbs that help to balance out the spicy flavors.
We think it gives just right amount of heat to these tacos making this dish family friendly.
Adobo Taco Tips:
- Make Salad – If you are looking for a low carb option, you can top this chicken recipe on a salad.
- Serve over Rice – This is the perfect chicken serve over white rice.
- Avocado – If you like to add avocado in with your tacos, smash them into your tortilla before adding your toppings. This keeps all the ingredients together in your taco.
- Meal Prep –Add this to your meal prep rotation. We love to have different types of meats prepared for an easy dinner or lunch idea.
- Chicken Thighs – We used Chicken Breast in this recipe, but you can easily chicken thighs.
- Instant Pot – Follow the same recipe and place the ingredients in the Pressure Cooker. Cook for about 25 minutes for an easy dinner idea.
- Chicken Broth – You can add in some chicken broth in with the chipotle sauce for added flavor.
What to Serve with Chipotle Chicken Tacos in the Crock Pot:
- Rice – I love serving these delicious tacos with the easiest Spanish rice or this delicious cilantro lime rice. It’s so simple to make but is also packed with great flavor.
- Beans – Crock Pot beans is an easy side dish to serve with these Chipotle Tacos.
- Find more of our What to Serve with Tacos recipes
These tacos will also taste good with any of the following toppings:
- Shredded Cheese
- Pico de Gallo
- Sour Cream
- Salsa Verde
- Sautéd Red Peppers and Onions
- Avocado Slices
- Red Onion
How to Store Leftovers:
Place your leftovers in an air tight container and place in the refrigerator. The chipotle chicken will last about 3 to 5 days if stored properly.
Print this Slow Cooker Chipotle Chicken Tacos Recipe below:
Crock Pot Chipotle Chicken Tacos
- 1/2 white onion
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce from small can of chipotle peppers
- 1 chipotle peppers from small can of chipotle peppers
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oile
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 fresh lime juiced
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 avocado optional
- 12-20 corn tortillas
- Combine everything but the chicken, tortillas, cilantro, avocado in a food processor or blender. Blend until smooth.
- Place the chicken and the sauce in slow cooker.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours or until chicken is tender.
- Shred the chicken and stir in the crock pot.
- Serve on warm corn tortillas.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe