This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Crock Pot Monterey Chicken Recipe has lots of cheese, barbecue sauce and crispy bacon for the best meal. Try this easy monterey chicken recipe that is a copy cat Chili’s recipe but is even easier thanks to the crock pot!
Crock Pot Monterey Chicken Recipe
No need to eat out when you are craving Monterey Chicken. You can easily make it at home and without any work thanks to this slow cooker dinner recipe.
We are all about easy around here and this recipe passed our test. Get dinner on the table easily when you make this amazing chicken dish.
Your house will smell amazing from this tasty chicken being slow cooked all day. The barbecue sauce and onion combine to give this chicken the best flavor and it is SO tender!
Not to mention all of that delicious cheese and bacon the chicken is topped with before serving. Yum!
What is Monterey chicken?
A super easy dish that consists of BBQ chicken toped with bacon and cheese. It is loaded with flavor and so amazing.
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper (you can also add in garlic powder)
- barbecue sauce (Try homemade BBQ sauce)
- Monterey cheese – pepper jack cheese is good too
- bacon – cook the bacon and crumble
- diced tomatoes
- green onions
How to make monterey chicken in the crock pot:
This easy recipe comes together so quickly! Simply put the onions in your crock pot and place the chicken on top.
You are going to love the flavor from this slowing cooking all day.
Next, top with the seasonings and BBQ Sauce and cook on low until the chicken is tender.
It is really that easy! 30 minutes before serving top with all of the yummy cheese and bacon.
This is the best part and really makes the dish. Add the lid so the cheese can melt.
What to Serve with Monterey Chicken
- Serve on the onions and top with diced tomatoes and green onions. Yum! The onions give the dish so much flavor.
- The chicken is really delicious with rice. I also like to pour the BBQ sauce and cheese mixture over the rice.
- You can save even more time and learn how to freeze rice and you can make this meal even easier. I love to grab the rice from the freezer in the morning and when we come home it is all ready to enjoy.
- We also like brown rice. Learn how to cook brown rice in the microwave for a quick side.
- Keep things simple and just add a simple side salad.
- You could also try Roasted Green Beans or learn how to steam broccoli in the microwave for a super easy veggie side dish.
Tips for Crockpot Monterey Chicken:
- You will need a good crock pot. If you are in the market for something new, I really love my Instant pot Aurora. You can brown the meat in the same slow cooker for recipes that call for that.
- I also like to use crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These are worth every penny and save a ton of time.
How to make slow cooker monterey chicken recipe keto?
Just eliminate the rice and enjoy the delicious chicken for a keto friendly meal. You also will want to be mindful of the type of bbq sauce you use as some have added sugars.
How to make Monterey chicken skillet recipe
This recipe is easy to make in a skillet if you would rather cook on the stove top. It is a great dish no matter how you make it and comes together quickly on medium heat.
If you prefer to cook this in the skillet, just cook the chicken on each side on medium high heat until no longer pink. Add the bbq sauce and let simmer.
Add the bacon and cheese right before serving. Cover with a lid to melt the cheese.
How to bake Monterey Chicken
You can also bake this easy chicken recipe in a baking dish. Place everything in the baking dish.
Bake in 400 degree preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Top with cheese and bacon. Allow it to bake until the cheese melts.
The chicken is so delicious once you top with cheese and green onions. Our entire family loves monterey chicken.
The seasoned chicken is so good!
Can you use chicken thighs?
Feel free to substitute boneless skinless chicken thighs for the chicken breasts in this recipe. It is just as tasty and a great way to save a little money.
Monterey Chicken Leftover Ideas
- Salad– Shred or dice the chicken and serve on your favorite salad.
- Make a Wrap – Add chicken, lettuce and your favorite toppings.
- Quesadillas – This chicken is delicious in a quesadilla. It is a favorite with the kiddos.
- Nachos – Shred the chicken and serve over nachos. Add cheese and any toppings if you prefer. Place in the oven to an easy chicken nacho idea.
Print this easy monterey chicken recipe:
Crock pot Monterey Chicken Recipe
- In a 6 quart crock pot place the onions on the bottom and the chicken on top.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour the BBQ on top.
- Cook on low for 6 hours or until the chicken is tender.
- 30 minutes before ready to serve top with the cheese and bacon.
- Serve on the onions and top with diced tomatoes and green onions.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More crock pot chicken recipes:
- Crockpot Pineapple Chicken Recipe
- Crock Pot Mango Salsa Chicken Recipe
- Crockpot Root Beer Chicken Sandwich
- Slow Cooker: Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
- Crock Pot French Onion Chicken
- Crock pot Chili Lime Drumsticks Recipe
- The Best Crockpot Chicken Tacos Recipe – only 3 ingredients
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe