This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
This Crockpot Lava Cake Recipe is out of this world. The chocolate is so decadent. The lava topping is amazing with chocolate chips and chocolate pudding. Top it all off with vanilla ice cream and it is SO delicious.
This lava cake is so easy to make. You just dump in all the ingredients in and let the slow cooker do the work. It’s packed with lots of yummy chocolate. The topping is ooey and gooey and can’t be beat.
Table of Contents
What is a Lava Cake?
Slow cooker chocolate lava cake makes the best dessert. This dessert gets its name because of the molten center. The pudding and chocolate chips makes for a soft center when combined together.
This recipe satisfies any sweet tooth and perfect to feed a crowd.
- Super Moist Chocolate Fudge Cake mix
- Vegetable Oil
- Instant Chocolate Pudding Mix
- Milk Chocolate Chips
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
We love recipes that have variations to them. Here are some ways to customize this cake recipe:
- You can make it gluten free with a gluten free cake mix. The Jell-O pudding mix should be gluten free but check ingredients.
- Make it dairy free switch to a dairy free milk option.
- Add different types of chocolate chips. You can add in caramel chips, mini butterscotch chips, the options are endless.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Beat together cake mix, oil, eggs, and milk with an electric mixer for a few minutes until batter is smooth in a large bowl.
Step 2 – Spray slow cooker with nonstick cooking spray so the cake won’t stick. Pour cake batter into the slow cooker and smooth over the bottom.
Step 3 – In a mixing bowl, beat together the 2 cups milk and pudding and pour over the top. Do not stir. Then sprinkle chocolate chips over top without stirring.
Step 4 – Cover and cook on high for 2 and ½ hours.
- Slow Cooker – We recommend spraying the crockpot with cooking spray. This helps for cleanup and to easily serve the cake.
- Cooking Time – Your cook time will vary based on the size and shape of your slow cooker. For instance, original recipe said 2.5 hours on high with a wider slow cooker, but if you have a taller slow cooker, it may take longer. Check the cake when close to cooking time so that the cake does not burn.
- Done Cooking – You’ll know when it is done when the outsides and top set up like a sponge- the middle will be gooey. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
This chocolate cake is great served warm right out of the crock pot. You can enjoy the chocolate cake just as it was cooked or serve with your favorite toppings. Here are some of ours:
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream
- Drizzle the cake with hot fudge or caramel sauce
- Make sure you have some sprinkles to put on top
- Chop some pecans or peanuts to give it that extra crunch
- We love to add some whipped cream and cherry on top for a complete dessert.
We love making a topping bar when we have friends over for dessert. It is easy to do and a budget friendly dessert idea.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, we keep the lava cake in the slow cooker. Make sure to turn off the slow cooker while serving so the cake does not burn. The cake will stay warm while serving for a rich and decadent dessert.
We recommend using a oval crock pot for this recipe. The 6 quart or 8 quart work great. This will allow the chocolate lava cake to cook evenly.
If you have any leftovers, be sure to place in the refrigerator. It will last about 2-3 days if stored properly.
We love this cake served warm, so you can simply heat up a serving in the microwave and it will taste as if it was just baked.
Yes, you can reheat lava cake. Simply place a serving in the microwave on a microwave safe dish. Heat up in 20-30 seconds intervals.
Top with your favorite topping and your cake will taste as if you just baked it.
Try more Slow Cooker Desserts
- Slow Cooker Better Than Sex Cake
- Crock Pot Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Crock Pot Fudge
- See more Crock Pot Desserts Recipes
We love to hear from you. If you make this crockpot chocolate cake recipe, please leave us a comment or a star review.
Crockpot Lava Cake
- Beat together cake mix, oil, eggs, and milk with an electric mixer for a few minutes until batter is smooth.
- Spray slow cooker with nonstick spray so the cake won’t stick.
- Pour cake mixture into the slow cooker and smooth over the bottom.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the 2 cups milk and pudding and pour over the top. Do not stir.
- Then sprinkle chocolate chips over top without stirring.
- Cover and cook on high for 2 and ½ hours.
- You’ll know when it is done when the outsides and top set up like a sponge- the middle will be gooey. Serve with vanilla ice cream if desired.
- Serves 12. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe