This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to freeze bananas for smoothies, banana bread and more. This is super easy and will save you time and money.
How to freeze bananas
I have gotten several questions about freezing bananas, so I wanted to take a minute to explain how easy it really is to freeze. There are several different ways you can do this depending on what you plan to do with it.
I like to flash freeze bananas to use later in smoothies. If I am freezing bananas to use in pancakes, I like to freeze mashed in a ziplock bag. Keep reading for all of my tips and tricks.
You are going to be so glad you started freezing bananas. In fact, we freeze all sorts of fruit and you can learn how to freeze fruit such as blueberries and strawberries too.
Can I freeze bananas?
Yes! It is super easy and takes hardly any time at all to do. Keep reading to see how we do it.
How to freeze bananas for smoothies:
Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Cut the bananas into approximately 1/2” inch slices and place them on the baking sheet.
Place in the freezer for 30 minutes until the bananas are frozen. Then remove the bananas from the baking sheet. Place them in a freezer bag, remove air, seal tightly and freeze for 3-6 months.
I like to also freeze banana slices to use for yogurt parfaits or to snack on. Flash freezing is the way to go and just pop them into baggies. If you are making smoothies, it is so easy to just take the amount of frozen bananas you need out of the bag.
The entire family loves Peanut Butter Banana Smoothies and this is so handy to have frozen bananas ready to go.
How to freeze bananas for banana bread:
I like to freeze bananas wholes for banana bread. I freeze 3-4 in a baggie.
You can also mash your bananas prior to freezing as another option. Just place them in the baggy and mash thoroughly. Once they were nice and mushy, I just smoothed it out flat and laid it in my freezer.
Since it is freezing flat, they thaw very quickly. You cans simply lay it in some hot water and they will thaw in no time. Or you can thaw it in your fridge or on your counter.
How to freeze bananas without turning brown:
The key is to making sure the freezer bag is air tight. If it is not, the bananas will turn brown.
How long does it take to freeze a banana:
Not very long. Typically, you can freeze a banana in about 2 hours. It really does not take long at all.
More tips and tricks:
Just make sure you clearly label your baggies nicely so you know how many bananas are mashed and ready to go. This definitely beats touching slimy bananas don’t you think? 😉
If you are freezing whole bananas, make sure to get as much air as possible out of the freezer bag. Seal tightly and freeze for 3-6 months.
For slices, don’t forget to flash freeze the slices first. You will thank me later. 🙂 This will prevent them from sticking together in one big mess.
You can easily grab what you need for smoothies and recipes. It is the best way to do it!
Simply place them on the baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes until the bananas are frozen.
Then remove from the baking sheet and place them in a freezer bag, remove air, seal tightly and freeze for 3-6 months. Easy!
I hope this helps and inspires you to fill up that freezer!
How to use frozen bananas:
- Homemade Pancakes
- Banana Bread
- Pumpkin Banana Bread
- Mini banana muffin recipe
- Moist Banana Bread Recipe
- Simple Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Bread Recipe
- Peanut Butter Bananas Smoothie
- Basic fruit smoothie recipe
See more great freezer tips here.
Print out the instructions below so you know how to freeze bananas:
How to freeze bananas
- 6 Bananas
- Peel the bananas.
- To Freeze Whole: Place the whole bananas in a freezer bag. Get as much air as possible out of the freezer bag, seal tightly and freeze for 3-6 months.
- To Freeze in Slices: Place a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet. Cut the bananas into approximately 1/2” inch slices and place them on the baking sheet. Place in the freezer for 30 minutes until the bananas are frozen. Then remove the bananas from the baking sheet and place them in a freezer bag, remove air, seal tightly and freeze for 3-6 months.
Try these easy freezer tips:
- how to freeze corn on the cob
- how to freeze cheese to save you money
- download our FREE Freezer cooking guide
- How to Freeze Lemons, Limes and Oranges
- How to freeze garlic bread
- 10 Easy Crock Pot Freezer Meals Ready in an Hour
- How to freeze chopped onions
- Learn how to freeze chopped peppers