One of our all time favorite recipe is this Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders easy recipe. The ham is baked perfectly in between the melted cheese and Hawaiian Roll. We love how quickly we can put these together anytime of the week.
Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders:
Are you ready for football season? We love football season at our house. We invite all of our friends over and serve amazing food. Football is fun and all, but eating all the delicious football food is what we really like.
At least in my family it is and these Hawaiian Ham and Cheese sliders are perfect for eating on game day.
Hawaiian Rolls are the best!
Hawaiian rolls are our favorite rolls. They are perfect for sliders, but we also get them as a side for our holiday meals.
The texture of the rolls are so soft and buttery. They just melt in your mouth. Can you tell we just love them? But we have made these sliders with just regular rolls and they were just as good.
Ingredients for Ham and Cheese Party Sliders Recipe:
You only need a few ingredients to create this delicious ham sliders recipe.
- Melted Butter – We like using unsalted butter.
- Dijon Mustard – This is our favorite, but you can use horse radish sauce instead.
- Worcestershire Sauce – This gives it a little kick to the buttery mixture.
- Brown Sugar – Combines with the Worcestershire sauce so well and adds a nice sweetness.
- Poppy Seed – Just the perfect touch to these sliders
- Dried Minced Onion, or onion powder – We love adding onion to just about anything.
- King’s Hawaiian Dinner Rolls – The best rolls, but you can use what you have.
- Ham – If you don’t like ham, try turkey instead or roast beef would work too.
- Swiss Cheese – Swiss Cheese makes these sliders extra cheesy. But provolone or cheddar are good options too.
What cheese goes with ham?
For this recipe, I like to use Swiss cheese. It goes great with ham and the seasonings in this recipe.
However, I have also used provolone or cheddar on these ham and cheese sandwiches and both of these were delicious as well. Use whichever one of these you have on hand and I know it’ll still be delicious!
Easy to make Hawaiian Roll Ham and Cheese Sliders:
- First preheat oven to 350. Then grease a 9×13-inch baking dish by spraying it with a non stick cooking spray.
- Next combine butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, poppy seeds, and dried onions.
- Then slice the rolls to make sandwiches. Remove tops and set aside.
- After this place the bottom pieces into the prepared baking dish.
- Next layer the thinly sliced ham onto the rolls. Top the bottom part of the rolls with the sliced ham.
- Then top the ham with the sliced Swiss Cheese.
- Place the tops of the rolls onto the sandwiches. Brush or pour the butter mixture evenly over the rolls. I like to brush the butter sauce on to make sure it is evenly distributed.
- Then bake 15 minutes – 20 minutes or until the rolls are lightly browned and cheese has melted.
Once they are done, separate into individual sandwiches to serve and enjoy! The cheese will be perfectly melted and pull apart so easy. They really are not hard to create and I promise that everyone will devour them in amount the same amount of time that they took to make.
How do you keep sandwiches warm at a party?
After these are done cooking, I cover them with foil over the baking dish to keep these sliders warm and perfect during any party or during the entire game.
Also, these are so good that they also taste delicious if they are slightly cool as well.
What side do you serve?
These sliders are perfect for your next game day party or movie night with your family. When I make them for family night, I usually serve a side of roasted broccoli, chips and dip, and fruit. These sliders are really filling so they complete any meal.
For game a day party, a nice vegetable and fruit tray is the perfect side for your next get together. See What to Serve with Sliders for more ideas.
Money saving tip:
Stock up on the Sliced Swiss cheese and the Hawaiian rolls when you find them on sale. They both freeze great.
Also, since you are baking this sandwich you can also freeze ham when it is cheap. Deli meat tends to be “wetter” when it is thawed, so I would pat dry it before placing in the rolls.
However, they will cook up nicely in this hot ham and cheese sliders recipe.
What substitutions can you make?
As you you probably know, I am not a HUGE ham fan. My entire family loves ham, but my lunch meat of choice is turkey. I’ve made this exact recipe with turkey and I love it even more.
So if you are more of a turkey girl like me, make sure you still give this recipe a try. It taste as amazing as the ham sliders.
Ham and Cheese Slider Topping:
The topping on these sandwiches add a ton of flavor to this recipe and easily can be modified to your preference. You can make Hawaiian ham and cheese sliders without mustard and without poppy seed and add a small amount of horse radish to the sauce instead.
Also, if you love garlic as much as I do, you can create sliders with garlic by adding a small amount of garlic salt or garlic powder to the topping.
There are tons of options to change up the topping to make these sliders perfect for your family.
Tips for the Best Hawaiian Roll Sliders:
- Slice Rolls – You can slice the rolls with a knife or tear them apart with your hands. We recommend slicing with a knife for an even cut.
- Melted Butter – For the melted butter on top of the rolls, you can use salted or unsalted. We like the salted to give it a hint of salty flavor.
- Foil – If the tops of the rolls get a little too brown before everything is heated, you can top the pan with a piece of foil.
How to Make ahead of Time:
To make these sliders ahead of time, just prepare as indicated without the topping and place in the refrigerator. Then when you are ready to serve, top with the melted butter mixture and bake.
Can you Freeze Ham and Cheese Sliders?
You can freeze these ham and cheese sliders but we do not recommend it. They do not hold up well when thawing.
Print the Sliders Recipe below:
Hawaiian Ham and Cheese Sliders recipe
- 3/4 cup melted Butter
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1 tbsp Poppy Seeds
- 2 tsp Dried Minced Onion
- 12 King’s Hawaiian Dinner Rolls
- 9 oz thin sliced Deli Ham
- 8 oz thin sliced Swiss Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Combine butter, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, poppy seeds, and dried onion?.
- Slice the rolls to make sandwiches. Remove tops and set aside.
- Place the bottom pieces into the prepared baking dish.
- Layer the ham onto the rolls. Top the ham with the Swiss cheese.
- Place the tops of the rolls onto the sandwiches. Brush or pour the liquid mixture evenly over the rolls.
- Bake 20 minutes or until the rolls are lightly browned and cheese has melted.
- Separate into individual sandwiches to serve.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
I cheated and used a onion poppy seed salad dressing and they were still awesome .
Great idea Gwen!
I found your recipe on pinterest and it is amazing! Thank you! I want to eat it all the time. So delicious!
We do too Victoria
I used apricot jam under the ham and omitted the brown sugar!
Made these tonight for Superbowl. I used a white cheddar horseradish cheese instead of swiss for a bit of a kick. They were a huge hit. Will definitely make again!!!
Oh that sounds amazing! I love that idea of using a spicy cheese.
Can I prep them ahead with all the trimmings then bake later? Or will it get soggy?
I think they will get soggy.
Do you bake these covered or uncovered? Also, do you let them cool awhile before serving?
Bake uncovered, but really you can do either way. I do let them cool about 10 minutes before serving.
These look yummy! you know I’ve never thought about freezing cheese. Such a great way to save money.
Great recipe. Love your Money Saving Tips.
Could sliced turkey breast be used also for the sliders?
Made these tonight… a definite hit! Next time will cut the sauce/spread in half as I thought it was too much!
I’m going to make these Christmas Day. I’m thinking I will assemble the sandwiches ahead of time, make the sauce and put it together right before baking. Has anyone tried honey mustard in place of the Dijon?
I just use the butter, worchestershire sauce, & onion powder. And I usually have shredded cheddar on hand. Still quick, easy, & good
Have you ever frozen them for baking later?
I haven’t tried that before. Thank you.
I’m a homecook, and I plan the monthly menu for our church community dinner’ s. I’m always looking for recipes to feed up to 120 people. I love the idea of making sliders, but what would I serve with them to round out the meal? Penny from N.C.
Penny – I love serving sliders with a large salad and then chips or french fries. It makes for a quick and easy dinner. Thank you.
Could you assemble in crockpot, pour sauce over right before lunch and then warm?
I used onion powder instead of fresh onion and it turned out great! I have had little luck with enjoying Pinterest recipes I have made, and am not a huge ham fan in general, but loved it on these!
Is there anything you can use instead of poppy seeds?
Sesame seeds would be delicious or just leave them off. Thanks.
We make ours with leftover steak. They are so good!
That sounds delicious!
I have these in the oven and they look delicious!
The only comment I have is that I can’t imagine using 3/4 cup of butter for these. I used 1/4 cup because I knew I wouldn’t want so much butter on them, and I still didn’t even use half of the mixture I made (and they were still dripping with butter). Next time around I will use 2 tbsp so I’m not wasteful.
LOVE your recipes! Love the easy quick recipes and the seasonings you put together to make them so flavorful. Thank You!
Thank you so much!
I love deli turkey and my husband loves deli ham. So, when I make these I think I will either make a batch of each or divide the recipe in half.
Yes, I love that idea! I love making a variety for everyone in the family!
Ez & delicious!
These are on our dinner rotation menu! Perfect for anytime of the year. I love that they can be cooked in the toaster oven!
We tried these for dinner and they were really good! We only used about half of the butter mixture though. Easy, quick and delicious!
After I buttered the top (I used a lot less butter than called for), I sprinkled “Everything Bagel” seasoning on the top. Delish!
I’ve had these at a friends house and I’ve made them too. We love them! Easy to make. Good every time! Thanks for the recipe!
These are Delish!!!! They are good for a party or just an easy night dinner. We have even done this & taken then to the beach. Every time my daughter’s friends either have a bridal shower or birthday get to they the always ask her to bring these. We have made these with smokes turkey too.
My kids are always begging me to make these. They also make a good “on the go” meal.
These are one of our go-to sandwich recipes. Served them at a baby shower. They were a huge hit! I want to try making them on “50-cent” size rolls (for a smaller, cuter size) and maybe using less sauce so they won’t get soggy. If I ever get around to trying it, I will have to let you know how they turn out. Would highly recommended this recipe to anyone.
I love this recipe! It tastes really good, and is quick and easy to make! Huge hit with my family and friends!
This recipe is delicious! It is always a big hit when I make it! You can freeze it and cook it later.
We use “Everything Bagel” topping on the sliders….EXCELLENT!
That sounds delicious! I’m so glad you enjoyed this recipe!
So glad I came across your recipe ! I was served these 40 years ago and I still remember how much I loved them and still do! Although this is the first time with brown sugar – amazing! WinWin!!!
Love to keep these in the freezer! Defrost then pop in the oven. Never any leftover!
Very good sandwiches .we have made them twice. …. but te butter omg. Did one stick the first time. Half a stick the second. Will reduce again when we make them again.
Very delicious, I used everything bagel seasoning instead of poppy seeds.
Made these sliders for a get together, everyone loved them!!! And they were so easy to make!!!, definitely a recipe that I will repeat time and time again!!! Thanks so much for this recipe!!!!
Made this for my hubby and in-laws tonight. It was a hit. Will make it again and try with turkey leftovers too.
I’m so glad you loved it.
This and turkey slider on Hawaiian sweet rolls yum in our home.
Family favorite and never any complaints!