This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Dinner will be ready in only 30 minutes with this quick and easy Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup. Everything gets tossed into the pressure cooker for a meal sure to be a hit.
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
If you want a fool proof and budget friendly dinner idea, this Taco Chicken Soup recipe is a must try. With only 2 chicken breasts, this recipe is a great way to stretch your meat budget. You might also like Instant Pot Chicken Pot Pie Soup.
You literally cannot mess it up and this soup can easily feed a crowd. This soup recipe is always a hit when I make it.
My kids go crazy over this soup and ask for seconds. I love when all 8 of my kids enjoy a meal I cook and gobble it up.
It is the perfect meal for busy weeknights when you are running from various activities. You will save money eating at home and your family will get a great meal.
Let’s make Chicken taco soup instant pot recipe.
This is going to be a family favorite. Make this today and see how easy and delicious it is.
- boneless chicken breasts frozen
- great northern white beans
- diced tomatoes with green chili’s
- taco seasoning (We like homemade taco seasoning )
- Garlic salt
- salt and pepper
- chicken stock
- Optional for toppings: sour cream, shredded cheese, tortilla chips, and cilantro for topping
How to make instant pot Chicken taco soup:
- First, place the frozen chicken in the Instant pot. Then toss everything else in the instant pot on top of the chicken.
- It is that easy. Just add the lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing
- Then set the pressure for 30 minutes on manual high pressure.
- Finally, do a quick release to release the pressure after the cooking time has finished.
- Take the chicken out and shred it. Once shredded, put it back in the pressure cooker. Stir everything together after adding the chicken.
How do you quickly shred chicken?
I use a hand mixer to shred the chicken faster. It is so easy and one of my best time saving kitchen tips!
If you are not shredding your chicken this way, you are missing out. It can be done in a fraction of the time by doing it by hand.
Plus, I love the texture of the chicken when you use the hand mixer.
What to serve with chicken taco soup:
This soup is delicious with toppings.
- Crushed tortilla chips
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- green onion
- hot sauce
- fresh lime
Just use whatever you like.
- It is also tasty with cornbread. You can crumble it on top or serve it on the side.
- Salad. The lightness of the salad is perfect with the soup. The next time you want a soup and salad combo, try this soup.
- Taco seasoning. You can certainly use store bought taco seasoning but I prefer to make my own. It is so easy to make Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix and you will have it on hand for other recipes.
- Ranch seasoning. Add a few tablespoons with the taco seasoning to change the flavor. It is a tasty combination.
- Beans. You can also add black beans or pinto beans to the soup to stretch your meat even more.
- Tomatoes. If you don’t like green chili’s, substitute plain tomatoes. Either way will be delicious.
- Chicken. Substitute chicken thighs for the chicken breasts. It is simple to use what you have in the freezer or can get on sale.
- Meat free. Skip the meat and add an extra can or 2 of beans. Also, substitute vegetable broth for the chicken broth.
- Mash the beans. Now, my family loves the white beans in this soup. They are actually their favorite. But if you have children that are hesitant to eat beans, let me tell you a trick.
Simply smash them up before you put them in the soup. You will get the protein without anyone knowing they are in there. Everyone wins.
- Creamy soup. Do you like a creamy soup? Add a block of cream cheese when you add the shredded chicken.
Switch the instant pot to the sauté setting for 3 to 5 minutes until the cream cheese has melted. Stir to combine.
Slow Cooker options:
No worries if you do not have a pressure cooker yet, try making Easy Crockpot Chicken Taco Soup Recipe in your slow cooker.
It is also an easy toss and go recipe.
- Just reduce the amount of broth to 1 cup and dump all of the ingredients into the crock pot.
- Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours or high for 3 to 4 hours.
- Remove the chicken and shred. Add it back to the soup and stir.
You can find full instructions and details for Slow Cooker Chicken Taco Soup.
How to store leftovers:
If you have any leftover soup, put it inside an airtight container in the fridge. It will keep up to 5 days.
Past this, it will need to be frozen.
How to freeze:
Make sure is completely cool and place in a freezer bag or container. Put in the freezer up to 3 months.
Freezer bags are a good idea if you are short on storage space in your freezer. They can be frozen flat to take up less room.
You might want to freeze some of the soup in individual portions. This will be handy for single serve lunch or dinner portions. Sometimes the entire family isn’t eating and it is nice to have just a small container to grab from the freezer.
When you are ready to serve, allow the soup to thaw in the fridge overnight. You can reheat on the stove using low heat.
Another option is to place all the ingredients in a freezer baggy uncooked and place in freezer. Then you just dump the freezer bag into the instant pot and cook.
This recipe is a family favorite.
It is fun to put out a topping bar and let everyone grab what they want. This always works great for parties and everyone always seems to really enjoy it.
Plus, it is frugal and a great way to feed a large amount of people. It is a great dish to make for family dinner, Game Day or parties.
You can serve this without any fear of spending tons of time or money. It is a great meal to add to the permanent meal plan. We enjoy it year round.
Print chicken taco soup instant pot recipe:
Instant Pot Chicken Taco Soup
- Place chicken in the Instant pot. Place all the other ingredients in the instant pot.
- Add the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing
- Set the pressure for 25 minutes.
- Do a quick release to release the pressure.
- Remove chicken and shred. Place back in the Instant pot and stir to combine.
- Then serve topped with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe