Everyone loves Sloppy Joes and this instant pot sloppy joes recipe is amazing! With only a handful of ingredients, dinner will be on the table fast thanks to the pressure cooker.
It’s so good and the entire family will enjoy it.
Instant pot sloppy joes
Dinner does not have to be complicated. This recipe is simple, easy and delicious! Plus, it’s very frugal friendly.
You will never buy pre-made sloppy joes again! This recipe can’t be beat and it’s just so easy.
The instant pot does all the work.
Prefer the slow cooker? Try Crock Pot Sloppy Joes.
- Lean ground beef – Ground turkey is also a great option.
- Brown Sugar – We used light brown sugar, but dark brown sugar will work too.
- Mustard – plain yellow mustard will also work.
- Ketchup – We used store bought ketchup, but our homemade ketchup recipe will work as well.
- Water – if you want even more flavor, use beef broth
- Hamburger Buns – you do not need anything fancy, but you can jazz up sloppy joes night by using a more expensive bun.
How to make instant pot sloppy joes
First, make sure the instant pot is on the saute setting. Then brown the ground beef until no longer pink. Drain any excess grease. You can then season with salt and pepper.
You might want to add diced onions to the meat for even more flavor. Sometimes, we add onions and it is really good.
Now go ahead and cancel the saute setting.
Next, add the mustard, brown sugar, ketchup and water. Stir this occasionally.
This is when we sometimes add Worcestershire sauce. It is totally optional but really good.
Stir everything together and be careful that it does not stick to the bottom of the pot. If this happens, add a little olive oil and that should do the trick.
Finally, put the lid on the top and make sure the lid is set to sealing. Set the pressure cooking time to high pressure for 5 minutes.
The last step is to do a quick release and turn the valve. When the pressure is released remove the lid, and use a wooden spoon to stir everything together.
If your sloppy joe mixture is too runny, change to the saute setting and allow the instant pot to cook over medium hight heat until the extra moisture is gone. Remember to stir continuously to avoid the mixture getting burned.
Serve on your favorite hamburger buns.
Do you have to brown the meat first?
If you are short on time, you do not have to brown the ground beef first. However, if you are doing this I suggest you only use extra lean ground beef.
I like to brown the ground beef first, because it will add more flavor to your sloppy joes. If you are short on time, it will still be delicious without any browning.
How do you thicken Sloppy Joes?
Once finished cooking, it is easy to thicken if you find the consistency to thin. Just make a simple cornstarch slurry.
You will not need much. Start with a teaspoon of cornstarch and 2 of tablespoons water. Stir it together in a separate bowl and add to the instant pot using the saute setting for about a minute.
Make sure to stir this constantly and you should see it began to thicken nicely.
Tips and Variation Ideas:
- If you don’t already have one, you will need an electric pressure cooker for this recipe. I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart if you prefer.
- Substitute the Ground Beef: Feel free to use ground turkey instead of ground beef.
- Add in Onions or Peppers: You can add diced onion and bell peppers to the ground beef mixture while cooking. It adds amazing flavor.
- Make Sliders: Try making sliders instead of regular size for parties or kiddos with smaller appetites. This size is great for small hands to hold.
- Add a slice of cheese: Top each sandwich with cheese if you prefer to make cheesy sloppy joes.
- Add a splash of Soy Sauce: You won’t need much soy sauce, but a quick splash will give it a tangy flavor.
- Add in Chili powder: Chili powder will give the sloppy joes a spicier flavor. consider adding in a teaspoon or 2 to your sloppy joes mixture the next time you make it.
Sloppy Joes Side dish ideas
- Oven Baked Sweet Potato Fries– Those are so good and everyone loves them.
- Lazy Day Crock Pot Baked Beans
- Corn on the Cob – another easy idea and also really good with Sloppy Joes.
- Potato Chips – Or any of your favorite chips.
- Find more side dishes for sloppy joes on our What to Serve with Sloppy Joes.
Super Easy sloppy joes in the instant pot!
It’s hard to believe just how simple this Sloppy Joes recipe is! I’m certain you will add this to your monthly rotation of meals.
It’s a hit with all ages and everyone will ask for seconds. You can make this in less time than going to get take out.
You will love pressure cooker sloppy joes.
Leftover Sloppy Joes ideas
If you actually have sloppy joes as leftovers you do have options to turn it into a second meal.
First, sloppy joes will stay good in the refrigerator in an air tight container for up to 5 days. Here are a few ideas to make a secondmeal with leftover sloppy joes.
- Sloppy Joes Quesadillas – Heat up the leftover sloppy joes. Place them in a tortilla with cheddar cheese and make a quesadilla.
- Sloppy Joes Macaroni – Heat up the sloppy joes mixture in a skillet. You may need to add a cup of water or broth. Stir in cooked macaroni and then handfuls of shredded cheddar cheese. This one pot dinner idea will please the entire family.
- Make Burritos – Heat up the sloppy joes in a skillet. Add in a tablespoon of taco seasoning. Stir in some beans, and cooked white rice.
Then spoon the mixture onto burrito sized tortillas with some salsa and cheese. Roll up the tortilla and enjoy burritos.
Print sloppy joes instant pot recipe below:
Instant Pot Sloppy Joes Recipe
- 3 lbs ground beef (or you can use ground turkey)
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup mustard
- 1 1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 cup water or beef broth
- 10 hamburger buns
- Place the instant pot on sauté setting. Brown the ground beef and drain any excess grease.
- Cancel the sauté setting. Add in the mustard, brown sugar, ketchup and water. Stir.
- Place the lid on the top and make sure the lid is set to sealing.
- Set the pressure to high for 5 minutes.
- After the cook time, do a quick release to release the pressure from the Instant Pot.
- Stir and serve on your favorite hamburger buns.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe