This Skillet Chicken and Rice Burrito Recipe comes together with very little time or effort. Budget friendly and easy to feed a crowd, this is the best chicken burrito recipe.
Shredded Chicken Burrito Recipe:
This shredded chicken and rice one-pan burrito recipe is very easy to make. This meal is full of juicy chopped chicken, salsa, easy spices and rice. Then you roll all the ingredients in a flour tortilla for an easy weeknight meal.
What I love about this recipe is that you can eat the chicken in many different ways. Make taco, have burrito bowls or make it a low carb night and top with cheese.
We can eat chicken made with salsa and Mexican spices anytime of the week. This is a great way to jazz up your chicken for an easy one-pan meal.
Easy Weeknight Meal:
My family is busy with work, school and sports. One-pan meals have saved me so much time and money. Plus this recipes combines all my family favorites together in one pan.
You start by cooking the chicken in the pan and then adding in the salsa and the seasoning. Once that is made, we keep the rice and beans separate but you could heat everything together if you prefer.
That is why I love this meal, as there is so many different ways of making it.
The best way to shred the chicken:
I use a hand mixer to shred the chicken faster. It is so easy and one of my best time saving kitchen tips!
If you are not shredding your chicken this way, you are missing out. It can be done in a fraction of the time by doing it by hand. Plus, I love the texture of the chicken when you use the hand mixer.
Can I use Taco Seasoning instead?
Yes, you can use taco seasoning instead of the individual seasoning. The packet taco seasoning is an easy choice, but did you know you can make your own Homemade Taco Seasoning.
It taste so much better than the packet seasoning that you by at the store and it is really easy to make. I love making a big batch of seasoning and it will usually last me all month.
Ingredients for Skillet Chicken and Rice Burrito Recipe:
- Chicken Breasts
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt
- Chili Powder
- Diced Tomatoes
- Refried Beans
- Burrito Size Flour Tortillas
- Mexican Rice
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
How do you make Chicken and Rice burritos?
- Prepare Skillet for Cooking Chicken – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and diced onion. Sauté the chicken with the onion for 3-5 minutes until the chicken is browned. I like to season the chicken with salt and pepper.
- Stir in Ingredients – Then stir in the salsa, diced tomatoes, seasoning and water. You can also use chicken broth instead of water. Cover and bring to a boil for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Prepare the Beans and Rice – Heat the refried beans and Spanish rice in separate bowls.
- Heat the Tortillas – You can heat the tortillas for 30-45 seconds in the microwave so that they are pliable.
- Start Making your Burritos – Place 1 of the tortillas in a flat surface. Spread 1-2 tablespoon of the refried beans on the center of the tortilla. Then top with 1/4-⅓ cup of the Spanish rice.
- Top with Chicken – Then place approximately ¼ cup of the chicken mixture in each burrito and top it with the shredded cheese.
- Heat Skillet – Heat a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Brown Burrito in a Skillet – Wrap the burrito filling and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until brown slightly.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve with your favorite taco toppings and enjoy!
Tips for the best Skillet Chicken Burritos:
- Cook in Iron Skillet – We love cooking in our iron skillet. We recommend using an iron skillet when making this skillet chicken burritos.
- Top over Rice – Instead of serving in burrito serve over white rice for burrito bowls.
- Mix beans in Skillet – Add your beans to the chicken, salsa mixture. We prefer to use black beans but you can also use pinto beans.
- Cut chicken – When preparing your chicken, make sure to cut in bite size piece so that it cooks evenly. It is also to easier to top your tortilla so that it is easier to eat.
- Spice it up – If you prefer to have it a little bit spicier you can use a can of rotel instead of diced tomatoes. I have even tossed in some cayenne pepper with the salsa to make it a bit spicier. You can start with a teaspoon and add more if needed.
- Use Cooked Chicken – If you already have cooked chicken, then you can skip the step to cook the chicken. Just toss all the ingredients at once and make sure your chicken gets heated.
Can I make this recipe in the slow cooker?
Yes, you can. This would be a great recipe to place in the crock pot and have it ready when you get home. Place the chicken, seasoning, onions and garlic, and salsa in the crock pot.
Cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-6 hours. Once chicken is cook, shred the chicken.
You can still build your burrito with the rice and beans and then top with the shredded chicken mixture.
Variation for Skillet Chicken and Rice:
This is the perfect meal to cook one and eat twice. So many different options to use your leftover chicken. I love to double the recipe so I can use for another meal.
- Flour or Corn Tortillas
- Taco Shells
- Taco Salad
- Burrito Bowl
- The options are endless.
Topping Ideas for Chicken Burrito Skillet:
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Green Onion
You can also try Baked Chicken Burrito recipe.
We love to switch things up to enjoy the same meal many different ways. It keeps the kids enjoying this recipe and they think they are eating a new meal idea.
We have even tried adding pinto beans, black beans or using cilantro lime rice instead of the plain white rice.
If you need to stretch the meat even further, bulk up the filling with beans. This is a great way to stretch your budget or feed surprise dinner guests.
How to store and reheat:
You are going to love having this leftover. It is great for a second meal for the family or for lunch the next day. I like to place in individual containers for my husbands lunch the next day.
You can also freeze this yummy recipe. Make sure to freeze in a airtight container to enjoy later.
To reheat this recipe, place in microwave safe dish and heat in one minute intervals until heated thoroughly.
Try Chicken and Rice Burrito for a meal that is frugal and easy!
This recipe only calls 2 chicken breasts. The rice really stretches the chicken to make a tasty meal.
Not only is it delicious but so frugal. If you are looking to make your meat go further, this is a great recipe to try and everyone will love it.
Learn how to freeze rice and you can make this meal even easier. I love to grab the rice from the freezer in the morning and when we come home it is all ready to made burritos.
We do this for lots of meals and it helps put together a quick meal. If you are not freezing rice, you should be.
Print this Chicken and Rice Burrito Recipe below:
Skillet Chicken and Rice Burritos
- 3 chicken breasts (cut into bite size pieces)
- 2 Tbsp Olive oil (divided)
- 1/2 Onion (diced)
- 2 tsp garlic salt
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz can)
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1 cup Refried Beans
- 2 cups Mexican Rice
- 6 burrito size flour tortillas
- 1 1/2 cup cheddar cheese shredded
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the chicken and diced onion. Sauté the chicken with the onion for 3-5 minutes until the chicken is browned.
- Then stir in the salsa, diced tomatoes, seasoning and water. Cover and simmer for 7-10 minutes until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- Heat the refried beans and Spanish rice in separate bowls.
- Heat the tortillas for 30-45 seconds so that they are pliable.
- Place 1 of the tortillas in a flat surface. Spread 1-2 Tbsp of the refried beans on the center of the tortilla. Then top with 1/4-⅓ cup of the Spanish rice.
- Then place approximately ¼ cup of the chicken mixture in each burrito and top it with the shredded cheese.
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Wrap and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side until brown slightly.
- Serve with your favorite burrito toppings and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe