Skip the box mixes and make this delicious Scalloped potatoes recipe. It is so cheesy and the perfect side dish for dinner.
Scalloped potatoes recipe
Scalloped potatoes are so amazing. The creamy sauce and cheesy layers. Oh my!
Once you make these, you will never go back to store bought mixes. The flavor is richer and all around amazing!
My family loves these. We also have a stove top scalloped potatoes recipe, Potatoes Au Gratin Recipe, and Scalloped Corn Recipe if you are interested.
- Potatoes – thinly sliced and preferably Russet or Yukon Gold.
- Milk -2% or whole milk.
- Chicken Broth
- Salt and pepper
- minced garlic
- Sharp Cheddar Cheese- shredded
How to make scalloped potatoes
First, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. You will need a 9X13 baking pan and spray it with cooking spray.
Second, melt the butter in a small sauce pan. Once melted, add the flour and minced garlic and whisk together.
Then whisk in the chicken broth. Once this is combined, gradually add in the milk. Make sure to whisk constantly so that the sauce will be smooth.
You can also use heavy cream instead of the milk if you prefer.
Just add the salt and pepper.
Next, cook this sauce on low until it smooth and keep whisking constantly.
Finally, turn off the heat and add the shredded cheddar cheese. Combine this keep stirring until the cheese is melted.
Now get your baking dish and put half of the potatoes in it. Then carefully pour half of the cheese sauce on top of the potatoes you just put in the pan.
Do another layer of potatoes and cheese sauce. That is it!
Now just bake the scalloped potatoes uncovered for about 55 to 70 minutes or until the potatoes are fork tender.
During the last 3 to 5 minutes of cooking, switch the oven to the broil setting. Let the potatoes broil until the top starts to get slightly browned.
Once you take the potatoes out of the oven, let them sit at room temperature for about 15 to 20 minutes before you serve them.
Tips for easy scalloped potatoes
- It is best to shred your own cheese instead of using the pre-shredded cheese. It melts smoother and more evenly.
- Extra cheese – Sometimes I toss in an extra handful or so of cheese.
- Try other types of cheese. Sharp cheddar is amazing but so is mild cheddar, colby and even pepper jack!
How To Make Scalloped Potatoes Ahead of Time
It is very simple to make these potatoes ahead. Just prepare the potatoes as instructed but do not bake.
Cover and store the baking dish in the refrigerator. Then when you are ready to cook them, allow the potatoes to come to room temperature.
Bake based on the recipe. as normal.
What goes with easy scalloped potatoes?
- Slow Cooker Pork Tenderloin
- Air Fryer Fried Chicken
- Slow Cooker Traditional Meatloaf Recipe
- Mississippi Pot Roast
Honestly, these potatoes go with just about anything. These are just a few of our favorites.
Cheesy Scalloped potatoes taste amazing!
This dish is seriously the best comfort food. Everyone loves cheesy scalloped potatoes.
If you have never made homemade potatoes au gratin before, it is a must try. The flavor can’t be beat and each bite is rich and creamy.
This might just become your new favorite side dish. Try making them today.
You will not be disappointed as these are always a crowd pleaser.
Print this recipe for cheesy scalloped potatoes:
Cheesy Scalloped potatoes
- 3 lbs Potatoes thinly sliced (⅛ inch thick) (Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/4 cup Flour
- 2 cups Milk 2% or whole milk
- 1 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9X13 baking dish with a non stick cooking spray.
- Melt the butter in a small sauce pan and then whisk in the flour and the minced garlic.
- Whisk in the chicken broth and then gradually add in the milk and whisk constantly until well combined and smooth. Then stir in the salt and pepper.
- Cook on low until the sauce is smooth (whisking constantly).
- Turn the heat off and then stir in the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir until the cheese is melted and well combined.
- Then place half of the potatoes in the baking dish. Pour half of the cheese sauce on top of the layer of the potatoes in the pan. Repeat with the remaining potatoes and cheese sauce.
- Bake uncovered for 55-70 minutes at 350 degrees F until the potatoes are fork tender.
- Switch the oven to the broil setting and broil for 3-5 minutes until the top of the scalloped potatoes are browned slightly.
- Remove and let the potatoes set at room temperature for 15-20 minutes before serving.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
The easiest side dish and tastiest that I serve at get togethers and they are the RAGE !