This Copycat chick fil a sandwich recipe is so easy and kid approved. The chicken is perfectly breaded and seasoned just like you would expect from a chick fil a sandwich. Save money and make this easy recipe at home.
Copycat chick fil a sandwich recipe
My kids beg all the time to go to Chick Fil. They really love it but the cost adds up quickly. I came up with the perfect solution with this simple Copycat Chick fil a sandwich recipe.
Everyone agreed it was really delicious. They were skeptical at first and had their doubts it would taste as good as the original. I think everyone was pleasantly surprised how tasty it turned out.
From now on, I will just make these at home and watch the savings add up. Since it is so simple, I can easily make these any night of the week.
It is a win for everyone. We all loved these fried chicken sandwiches and I see less fast food trips in our future.
My kids are fairly picky and very loyal to Chick fil a. So, if they declare this is a success, it definitely is.
- Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- Dill Pickle Juice. This is key to achieving the flavor similar to a Chic Fil a sandwich.
- All Purpose Flour
- Confectioners’ Sugar
- Paprika. Sometimes I also add garlic powder.
- Salt and Pepper
- Peanut Oil or Canola Oil for Frying
- Hamburger Buns
- Dill Pickles
How to make chick fil a sandwich
- First, filet the chicken breasts into 4 pieces of chicken. Make sure to trim off any excess fat on the chicken.
You may need to pound the chicken with a meat mallet if it is too thick. I normally make sure they are about 1/2″ thick.
- Second, combine the chicken and pickle juice in a medium size bowl. If your bowl has a lid, use that or you can use plastic wrap to cover it.
Put in the fridge to marinate the chicken in the pickle juice. I like to do this overnight but at least do it for 30 to 60 minutes. However, the longer the better.
- Then, remove the chicken from the refrigerator and drain off the pickle juice.
- Get out a small bowl and add the milk and egg. Whisk this together and pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Next, you will need a large ziplock bag. Add the flour, sugar, paprika, salt and pepper to the bag. Make sure the bag is sealed really good and shake to combine everything. This will give the chicken the perfect coating that everyone will love.
- Then drain the excess milk mixture off the chicken and put the chicken in the ziplock bag with the flour mixture. Once again seal the bag and shake to thoroughly coat the chicken pieces in the flour.
Get your oil hot.
- Heat the peanut oil or canola oil in a large pan using medium heat. You can also use a deep fryer.
- You will need to work in batches adding the chicken to the hot oil and cooking until the chicken is golden brown and crispy. It does not take long and usually about 3 to 5 minutes. When the chicken has finished cooking, put the chicken on a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up any excess oil.
- Go ahead and serve right away while they are warm on hamburger buns topped with the pickles.
- If you have a few extra minutes, you can butter the buns and lightly toast or warm them before putting the chicken on. It does not take much extra time and takes it up a level. Once you try it, you will see.
How to store leftovers:
These are definitely best served fresh but you can refrigerator any leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5-7 days.
Variation for copycat chick fil a sandwich:
- If you do not like pickle juice, you can reduce the pickle juice marinade to ½ cup and use ½ cup water with this juice.
For a Spicy Chick-fil-A Chicken Sandwich:
- You can add 1 to 2 teaspoons of cayenne pepper to the flour mixture. If you love the spicy chicken sandwich, this chicken recipe is going to be a hit. You can easily make a batch of both if you are cooking for family that prefers one or the other.
What Is The Best Oil For Fried Chicken:
Peanut oil or canola oil is best for frying chicken and have a neutral taste. These oils have a higher smoke point meaning they won’t brown too fast before the chicken has cooked through.
Also, using one of these oils will lessen the amount of smoke. Don’t use olive oil because it has a low smoke point and can’t handle the heat.
- Don’t skip the step soaking the chicken in the pickle juice. It gives the sandwich a lot of flavor. It also helps to make the chicken very tender and moist. The entire sandwich tastes better because of this step in the process.
- Once the chicken has been breaded. go ahead and fry it. If you wait, the chicken will be soggy and not the right texture.
- The chicken is best served right away while hot. It will taste the most authentic and be the most crispy.
Chick fil a sandwich recipe variations:
- Air Fryer. You can cook this chicken in the air fryer if you prefer. Preheat the air fryer to 370 degrees.
While the air fryer is heating up, spray the chicken with cooking spray. Just make sure to spray the chicken lightly.
The chicken needs to cook 10 to 14 minutes but can vary based on your air fryer. Make sure to flip half way through. I think you will love this air fried chicken.
- Baked. If you prefer to bake and not fry the chicken, it is pretty simple. Just preheat your oven to 450. Use a wire rack and place it on a baking sheet.
Put the chicken on the wire rack and bake for 25 to 30 minutes flipping half way through. The wire rack will help to make the chicken crispy even though it was baked. It is a game changer when baking chicken.
What to serve with Homemade chick fil a sandwich:
- Copycat Chic fil a sauce. With just a few simple ingredients you probably already have, this delicious sauce takes just minutes!
- Easy Homemade French Fries. These fries are perfectly golden and so crispy. In just minutes, you can enjoy easy homemade fries that make a great side dish.
- Baked Mac and Cheese is a favorite. It is so creamy and cheesy. Plus, the delicious bread crumb topping makes this Southern mac and cheese simply amazing.
- Copycat Chick fil a Lemonade. It is so refreshing and incredibly simple to make. Enjoy your favorite lemonade at home for a fraction of the price in just minutes.
My kids love when I make this to drink with the copycat sandwiches. They really feel like they are at Chick fil a.
Print this Copycat chick fil a sandwich recipe below:
Copycat chick fil a sandwich
- 2 Boneless skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 cup Dill Pickle Juice
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup Milk
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Confectioners’ Sugar
- 1 tsp Paprika
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1 tsp Salt
- Peanut Oil or Canola Oil for Frying
- 4 Hamburger Buns
- 16 Dill Pickles for serving
- Filet the chicken breasts into 4 pieces of chicken and trim off any excess fat.
- Combine the chicken and pickle juice in a medium size bowl. Cover and refrigerate to marinate the chicken in the pickle juice for 30-60 minutes (or overnight).
- Remove the chicken from the refrigerator and drain off the pickle juice.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk and egg. Then pour this mixture over the chicken.
- Then in a large ziplock bag, add the flour, sugar, paprika, salt and pepper. Seal the bag and shake to combine all the ingredients.
- Drain the excess milk mixture off the chicken and place the chicken in the ziplock bag with the flour mixture. Seal the bag and then shake to thoroughly coat the chicken pieces in the flour mixture.
- Then heat the peanut oil or canola oil in a large pan over medium heat or in a fryer.
- Working in batches, add the chicken to the hot oil and cook until the chicken is golden brown and crispy (approximately 3-5 minutes). Once cooked, move the chicken to a plate lined with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- Serve immediately while warm on the hamburger buns topped with the dill pickles and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More copycat chick fil a recipes to try:
- Copycat Chick fil a Sauce
- Copycat Chick Fil A Nuggets Recipe
- Easy Copy Cat Chick fil a Lemonade Recipe
- Copycat Chick fil a Grilled Chicken Nuggets