This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe is so easy in the slow cooker. Serve this tender chicken and flavorful curry sauce over rice for an easy meal that your family will love.
Chicken Tikka Masala Crockpot Recipe sounds fancy but it is actually quite simple thanks to this slow cooker recipe. The chicken is so amazingly tender that it falls apart and the sauce is even richer from being slow cooked all day.
We love chicken but needed a new way to serve it. This tikka masala recipe was amazing and perfect for jazzing up plain chicken. If you love this recipe, then you will love Slow Cooker Creamy Sun Dried Tomato Chicken Recipe and Crock Pot Marry Me Chicken Recipe.
Table of Contents
What is Chicken Tikka Masala?
You don’t have to go to Indian restaurants to enjoy this dish. Crock Pot Tikka Masala cook your chicken in a tomato based sauce for a delicious meal idea.
Make this easy slow cooker chicken tikka masala dish and enjoy Indian food at home.
- Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs
- Garam Marsala
- Cumin (check out Best Substitute for Cumin)
- Salt and Black Pepper
- Yellow Onion
- Minced Garlic
- Fresh Ginger
- Tomato Sauce or Tomato Puree
- Heavy Cream
- Cooked Rice
- Fresh Cilantro
Scroll to the bottom for the full list of ingredients and recipe in the recipe card.
- Coconut Cream – If you prefer a dairy free option, you can use coconut cream instead of heavy cream.
- Change Chicken – You can make this recipe with boneless skinless chicken breasts if you prefer.
- Sauce Seasoning – Feel free to change the flavors of the sauce by adding in different types of seasoning. Substitute the minced garlic for cloves garlic. We have even added in a teaspoon of cayenne pepper for a kick to the sauce.
- Marinade – If you prefer, you can also marinade the chicken in a yogurt based marinade. We recommend using a full fat greek yogurt for best results.
Step by Step Instructions:
Step 1 – Place the chicken in the crock pot.
Step 2 – Combine the seasoning in a bowl. Then sprinkle the mixture over the top of the chicken thighs. Make sure to thoroughly coat them.
Step 3 – Top chicken and seasoning with diced onions.
Step 4 – Combine the tomato sauce, garlic, and ginger in a small bowl.
Step 5 – Pour sauce over the top of the chicken.
Step 6 – Cover and Cook on high for 3 hours or cook on low for 6 hours.
Step 7 – When done, the chicken should be fall-apart tender. Break apart the chicken into big chunks in the creamy sauce.
Step 8 – Turn the slow cooker off and add in the heavy cream. Stir gently to combine the cream with the sauce. Serve over rice and topped fresh cilantro.
- Seasoning – Combine the seasoning in a bowl prior to adding to the slow cooker. Make sure the seasoning covers the chicken for the best flavor.
- Diced Onions – This recipe is delicious with the addition of the onions. You can even sauté them in a skillet before adding to the slow cooker.
- Shredding Chicken – With all the sauce ingredients, the chicken will be fork tender. Shred the chicken with two forks or you can shred with a mixer.
- Heavy Cream – Wait to add the heavy whipping cream after cooking the chicken in sauce. Stir the cream in after turning over the slow cooker and then serve. It make a delicious creamy base sauce.
- Thicker Sauce – If the sauce is to thin, you can make a cornstarch slurry to help thicken the sauce. Make with 2 tablespoons of water and 2 tablespoons of cornstarch.
Can you Put Coconut Milk in Crockpot?
Now this recipe calls for heavy cream instead of full fat coconut milk. However, both are fine to put in the crock pot.
The trick is waiting until everything has cooked. You just want to turn off the crock pot before adding the cream.
What to Serve with Chicken Tikka Masala?
To complete the meal adding a side of air fryer broccoli is always a great idea.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. They leftovers will last about 3 days. We think they are even better the next days as the sauce and seasoning really marinate into the chicken.
Yes, you can also freeze this masala chicken. Place the leftovers in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to serve, thaw in the fridge overnight.
More Crock Pot Chicken Recipes
- Slow Cooker Chicken Curry Recipe
- Crock Pot Chicken Curry Rice Bowls Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make this Crockpot Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe, please leave a comment or a star review.
Slow Cooker Chicken Tikka Masala Recipe
- Place the chicken in the crock pot.
- Season with the garam masala, cumin, turmeric, paprika, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle the spice mix over both sides of the chicken thighs, coating them liberally.
- Place the onion on top.
- In a small bowl combine the tomato sauce, garlic, and ginger.
- Pour on top.
- place the lid on top, and turn the slow cooker on. Cook on high for 3 hours or low for 6 hours.
- When done, the chicken should be fall-apart tender.Break apart the chicken into big chunks.
- Turn the slow cooker off, then add the heavy cream. Stir gently to combine the cream with the tomato sauce. Taste the sauce and add salt if needed.
- To serve, spoon the chicken and tomato sauce over cooked rice and top with fresh cilantro.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe