This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Grilled BBQ chicken thighs recipe is so tender and loaded with flavor. From the BBQ sauce to the smoky grill flavor, this recipe does not disappoint.
Grilled BBQ chicken thighs recipe
I love cooking chicken thighs on the grill because they are so easy to cook, never seem to dry out and take minutes to prepare.
The dry seasoning combined with the barbecue sauce result in the absolute best grilled thigh recipe. Each bite from the inside all the way to the outer skin is loaded with flavor.
If you need a fast dinner, chicken thighs take very little time to cook. They can go from grill to table in less than 15 minutes. That is quicker than take out and I assure you much tastier!
- Bone-In, Skin On Chicken Thighs
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and pepper
- BBQ Sauce
With only a few ingredients, this recipe comes together fast for a flavor packed meal. The dry rub gives the meat so much flavor and the BBQ sauce brings it all together.
It is an amazing combination without much work.
How to grill BBQ chicken thighs:
- Mix together the dry seasonings. Use a small bowl and stir together all the seasonings. Rub this seasoning mixture onto the chicken thighs.
- Preheat the grill. Fire up the grill and preheat to 350 degrees F. Rub the grill grates with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Put the chicken on the grill. Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, skin side down.
- Cook the chicken. It needs to cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side.
- Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce. Flip the chicken and brush the opposite side with the BBQ sauce as well. Cook for 3 minutes. Flip the chicken again, brush with more BBQ sauce.
Cook the opposite side for 3-4 more minutes. The chicken needs to reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees F. Place the thermometer into the thickest portion of the chicken thigh to ensure accuracy.
Grilling bbq chicken thighs tips
- Cooking time will vary based on the size of the chicken. Make sure to use a meat thermometer to ensure that the chicken is cooked to the correct temperature. The internal temperature needs to be 165 degrees in the thickest part of the chicken.
- Start grilling the chicken thighs skin side down using direct heat. After a few minutes, flip the thighs and move the chicken to indirect heat. Continue to cook.
- Don’t skip the dry rub on the chicken. This gives the chicken amazing flavor when combined with BBQ sauce. The meat will be loaded with flavor in each bite.
- Smoked paprika can be substituted for regular paprika. It will give the spice rub even more smoky flavor.
- Generously coat each chicken thigh with the dry rub. I like to really rub it into each one to ensure they are well coated.
- You can use store bought barbecue sauce or homemade. Either works fine in this recipe. I actually use homemade because it takes just minutes to make.
How to store:
Store any leftover barbecued chicken in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 4 to 5 days.
Chicken thighs reheat great and make a delicious lunch or dinner later in the week. In fact, we often grill extra chicken just to have leftovers. It still tastes amazing and makes for a quick lunch or dinner idea without any extra effort.
You might want to make extra as well because chicken thighs are amazing. Everyone will fight over the leftovers!
How long do I BBQ chicken thighs on the grill?
Each side takes about 5 to 7 minutes to cool on the grill. This will vary base on the side of chicken thighs used.
It is important to use a meat thermometer to make sure the chicken is fully cooked. Always insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the thigh.
The internal temperature should be 165 degrees when fully cooked. I have an instant read digital meat thermometer and it is so handy and easy to use.
Overcooking will result in dry chicken on the inside and excessively crispy skin on the outside. It is not difficult to cook chicken thighs. However, you need to keep a close eye on them to prevent overcooking.
How do you keep chicken thighs from drying out on the grill?
- Allow the chicken thighs to rest at room temperature before grilling. I usually let them sit for about 20 minutes. Pat dry with a paper towel before adding the dry seasoning.
- Use an instant read thermometer during cooking to make sure they are not overcooked.
- Place the skin side down first. Then for the remaining cooking time, make sure the skin is facing up. This will help to prevent the outer skin from drying out and becoming too crispy.
What to serve with BBQ chicken thighs?
I love to cook the entire meal on the grill. You can cook these on the side of the grill and still have plenty of room for everything.
This is great for keeping the kitchen cool and clean. I love to watch the kids play while I grill the entire meal.
Chicken thighs are so easy to grill.
Whether you are using a charcoal grill or gas grill, barbecued chicken thighs are so easy to cook. The meat is so tender and flavorful.
Get ready to enjoy a fabulous meal. Chicken thighs are so tasty and your family will enjoy them.
They are also budget friendly and a tasty way to reduce your grocery budget. Chicken thighs are often under utilized but taste amazing. Make these today and start incorporating more chicken thighs into your menu plan.
Your friends and family will love this recipe. It is the best and so easy to cook. In just minutes, this amazing meal goes from grill to table.
Print Grilled BBQ chicken thighs recipe:
Grilled BBQ Chicken Thighs
- Stir together all the seasonings in a small bowl. Then rub this seasoning mixture onto the chicken thighs.
- Preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Brush the grill grates with oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Once the grill is hot, place the chicken on the grill, skin side down.
- Cook the chicken for 5-7 minutes on each side.
- Brush the chicken with the BBQ sauce. Flip the chicken and brush the opposite side with the BBQ sauce has well. Cook for 3 minutes. Flip the chicken again, brush with more BBQ sauce and cook the opposite side for 3-4 more minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe