This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Learn how to make this Homemade Brownies recipe for a quick dessert any day of the week. This fudgy brownie recipe is so yummy and budget friendly.
Easy Homemade Brownies from Scratch:
These brownies are melt in your mouth delicious. You will love how easy they are to make and how amazing they taste. This recipe is simple and easy that anyone can quickly make these tasty chocolate flavor brownies.
The kids love to help and we have the best time in the kitchen baking together. These homemade brownies have a rich chocolate flavor and cooked with a crispy texture and chewy on the inside.
Making brownies from scratch taste better than boxed mixes. Boxed brownies have added ingredients but these brownies are made with simple ingredients. The perfect brownies for any occasion.
- Sugar (you can also use brown sugar)
- Vanilla Extract
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- All-purpose Flour
- Salt and Baking Powder
Once you start making these easy brownies at home, you will see how simple and delicious they are. They are inexpensive to make and so easy.
How to Make Homemade Brownies:
- Step 1 – Heat Oven and Prepare Pan – Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan. (you can flour it too, but I don’t)
- Step 2 – Combine sugar, eggs, vanilla and butter – First, stir the granulated sugar, eggs and vanilla into the melted butter. I usually melt the butter quickly on the stove top or microwave.
- Step 3 – Mix Dry Ingredients Together – Add in the cocoa, flour, salt and other dry ingredients in the mixing bowl.
- Step 4 – Combine Ingredients – Now, just mix all the ingredients together. Do not over mix the batter. This will give you a more dense cake-like brownies.
- Step 5 – Spread in Pan – Finally, spread the batter into the prepared baking pan.
- Step 6 – Bake Brownies – Then bake in the preheated oven the brownies for 30 minutes. You will know it is done when you see crackly tops and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
How to Cut Brownies Cleanly:
- First make sure the brownies are completely cooled.
- Use a plastic knife to cut your brownies rather than a knife with a metal blade.
- Plastic knives are naturally non-stick so the brownies will not stick and break apart the brownies as you are cutting.
- Be sure to wipe off the plastic knife after each cut. Having a clean knife will help.
What Size Pan to Use for Homemade Brownies:
This recipe is for an 8×8 pan, but you could also use a 9×9 pan.
Now you can easily convert this recipe into a 9×13 pan if you need to feed a crowd. Just double the recipe.
Should you use a Metal or Glass Pan?
Either can be used but I prefer to use metal. They cook more evenly which helps the brownies not to become too brown.
I also like to use parchment paper when I bake. It helps make clean up easy.
How to Keep Brownies Fresh:
Keep any leftover brownies inside an airtight container. You can keep them on the counter or in the refrigerator. For the freshest taste, they are best eaten within 2 days.
How to Freeze Brownies:
You can easily freeze cut brownies. Tightly wrap the brownies into individual servings. Then place the brownies in the freezer bag.
They will stay fresh for up to 3 months. You can thaw them on the counter or place them in the microwave for that fresh baked taste.
Can you make Brownies without Butter or Oil?
You can try substituting apple sauce for the butter or oil in this recipe. The brownies will be healthier and the apple sauce makes the recipe moist and yummy.
The apple sauce blends well with the Dutch processed cocoa powder and turns out wonderful.
Seriously, this recipe is the best and you can’t go wrong however you make it!
Can I use Brown Sugar instead of White Sugar?
Yes, you can brown sugar as a substitute for white sugar. You can also mix the two as long as it equals to one cup.
Easy Brownie Recipe Variations:
- Add ½ cups semi sweet chocolate chip to the brownie batter.
- Make Peanut Butter Chocolate Brownies by adding peanut butter morsels.
- Make Cheesecake Brownies.
- Top the brownies with chocolate frosting or this delicious Vanilla Buttercream frosting.
- Make Mini Brownies with this Mini Muffin Brownies Recipe – these are delicious and perfect for lunch boxes. Oh and they freeze great.
- Sprinkle powdered sugar on top of the brownies.
- Add nuts to this brownie recipe. I like to get a bag of these dry walnuts or you can use peanuts, pecans or whatever you prefer.
- Consider adding in dark chocolate chunks into the brownie batter.
This is a wonderful base recipe for brownies that taste pretty awesome just as they are. However, try adding some of these ideas for even more fabulous brownie ideas.
How to Store:
Store leftover brownies on the counter for up to 2 to 3 days. You can also place in the fridge to allow them to stay fresh for about a week. Make sure the brownies are covered with plastic wrap while storing.
How Long will Brownies Last:
If the homemade brownies are stored properly, they will last up to 4 days. They never last that long in my family.
Tips for the Best Brownies:
- Room Temperature Ingredients – For the best brownie texture, combine room temperature ingredients.
- Prepare Pan – Make sure to prepare the pan by spraying with cooking spray. You can also line with parchment paper. This will allow you to remove the entire of batch of brownies to easily cut them.
- Don’t overbake – Brownies continue to cook in the pan once removed from the oven. Use a toothpick to check for doneness. If the toothpick comes out clean, then the brownies are done.
- Mixing Brownie – Don’t over mix the brownie batter. Just mix until the brownie mix is combined.
- Cool Completely – Before slicing the homemade brownies, we recommend cooling completely. You may even need to place in the refrigerator. This will help to get a clean cut for the homemade brownies.
What to serve with Homemade Brownies
- Homemade Cookies and Cream Ice Cream – There is nothing better than homemade ice cream and brownies. Top with chocolate syrup and whipped cream.
- Whipped Cream – Serve with a top of whipped cream and sprinkles for a fun dessert.
- Powdered Sugar – You can easily dust the tops of the homemade brownies with powdered sugar. We love the way they look and adds an extra level of sweetness.
This Easy Brownie recipe is Frugal:
Brownie mixes can really add up, but now you can make this Homemade brownie recipe for less. I can make up a batch of these brownies for under $.50. Making brownies from scratch, you know what exactly the ingredients you are adding.
These ingredients are simple and I usually always have them on hand. These brownies are perfect to place on cookie trays and we love making these brownies for many occasions. They are perfect for the holidays, cookie exchange parties and even on your holiday dessert trays.
There are many different variations on how you can make these homemade brownies. Add in chocolate chips or nuts for flavor and texture. Making these brownies takes less than 15 minutes, so they are perfect for any day of the week.
Print Recipe here for Homemade Brownies:
Homemade Brownie Recipe
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch square pan. (you can flour it too, but I don’t)
- Stir sugar, eggs, and 1 teaspoon vanilla in the melted butter. Beat in ? cup cocoa, ½ cup flour, salt, and baking powder by hand.
- Spread batter into pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes before cutting.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these easy dessert recipes:
- Strawberry Pinch Cookies
- Homemade Twix Bars Cupcakes
- Fruity Pebbles Bars Recipe
- Sugar Cookie Fruit Pizza Recipe