Pimento cheese dip is creamy and delicious with only a few ingredients. It’s the perfect snack, party food or appetizer for any occasion.
Pimento cheese dip
Did you grow up eating pimento cheese sandwiches? It is a delicious Southern favorite full of cheesy goodness. We love to enjoy it as a dip for snacking and it’s super fun and easy!
While store bought pimento cheese works in a pinch, it does not compare to homemade. The secret to good pimento cheese is to use really sharp cheddar. You also don’t want to use so much mayonnaise that it’s overpowering or runny. The cheese is the star of the show!
This recipe is the perfect combination and sure to be a hit!
Let’s get started making this delicious dip. Once you try it, you will see why pimento cheese is a classic Southern recipe that everyone enjoys.
- Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese -shredded
- Cream Cheese- this needs to be softened.
- Pimento Peppers – drained and chopped
- Mayonnaise- I like Duke’s or Hellman’s mayo.
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne Pepper – this is optional. Add if you want a little heat.
What are pimento peppers?
They are a mild sweet pepper that is red. They are not spicy at all and typically are small peppers.
How to make pimento cheese dip?
First, place all of the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Second, mix together all of the ingredients. You can use a hand held mixture or a sturdy spoon by hand. Just make sure everything is well combined.
Finally, scoop the pimento dip into a small serving bowl.
How to Serve Pimento Cheese?
Use your favorite dippers!
- Veggies: We love celery sticks. carrot sticks and sliced green and red bell peppers.
- Crackers, tortilla chips and pita chips are all tasty options for dipping.
This is optional but pimento cheese dip is really good topped with hot tomato jam. The sweet jam and savory dip combine for a great snack. Just put a small dollop on top of the dip.
More ideas for serving:
This is so delicious that you will be looking for ways to serve this. It is the best!
- I love it on burgers. Add it to your bun to make your burger creation amazing!
- Grilled Cheese Sandwiches. Take this traditional sandwich to the next level when you make a grilled cheese with this.
- Biscuits. Serve the dip warm and load your biscuit with it. I like it with just pimento cheese but you could also add bacon.
- BLT- Jazz up your next bacon lettuce and tomato sandwich with a scoop of pimento cheese. Yum!
How to store:
The dip can be stored in an air tight container for up to 5 days in the refrigerator. If you love it as much as we do, you might want to make a double batch. It is perfect for a quick snack or lunch.
Tips and tricks:
- Try to hand grate the cheese instead of using pre shredded cheese. Shredded cheese has additives that can change the consistency.
- Use sharp or extra sharp cheddar. This gives it the best flavor.
- Pimento Peppers- Make sure to drain really well before mixing into the dip. You don’t want any extra liquid or it will be runny.
- The cream cheese needs to be full fat. While you can certainly use reduced fat, it does not have the rich flavor pimento cheese is known for.
- Mayo- You don’t need much but make sure it is a good brand. Use what your family prefers if you are brand loyal.
Print this Easy Pimento cheese recipe below:
Pimento cheese dip is creamy and delicious with only a few ingredients. It's the perfect snack, party food or appetizer for any occasion.
- 2 cups Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 8 oz Cream Cheese Softened at room temperature and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 4 oz Pimento Peppers drained and chopped
- 2 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 1/4 tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 tsp Cayenne Pepper Optional
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
Place all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Mix together with a hand held mixer or by hand with a sturdy spoon until the mixture is thoroughly combined.
Serve immediately and enjoy with your favorite dippers!