Ground beef taco dip has lots of delicious layers for the best party dip. This is always a crowd pleaser and so easy to make.
What is taco dip made of?
This taco dip has amazing layers of ground beef, cream cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomatoes and more. You can easily change things up and add or omit based on your preference.
We make a similar Taco Dip that does not have the ground beef.
Let’s make taco dip with ground beef!
- Ground Beef
- Taco Seasoning (I use our easy Homemade Taco Seasoning)
- Sour Cream
- Cream Cheese
- shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Tomatoes – diced
- Sliced Olives
How to make ground beef taco dip:
First, brown the ground beef. I used a large skillet over medium high heat.
Once the ground beef has finished cooking, drain off the excess grease.
Second, stir in 1 Tablespoon of the taco seasoning or ½ a packet if using store bought) with the salsa and water. Cook uncovered for a few minutes. It normally takes between 2 to 4 minutes.
Next, in a separate large bowl, add together the cream cheese, sour cream and the remaining taco seasoning and beat with a hand held mixer.
Finally, spread the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a 8X8 or 9X9 pan. You might need to use a spatula to smooth out the cream cheese mixture.
Once the cream cheese mixture is smooth, top with the ground beef, shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and sliced olives.
What to serve with Taco dip with ground beef?
- tortilla chips
- corn chips
- pita chips
- veggies- carrot and cucumber sticks work great.
Why is my taco dip runny?
Often the extra juices from the salsa or vegetables can add liquid to the dip and make it runny. We recommend assembling the dip an hour before serving.
To save time, try making the individual dip layers ahead of time but do not assemble until you are ready to serve. This will prevent the veggies from getting too soft and the dip from getting runny from excess liquid.
We do this often because it is a great solution. You can still prep part of the dish to save time and it will be super easy to put the layers together the day of.
More topping ideas:
- Onion- red, Vidalia or green onions are delicious.
- Jalapenos- If you like extra heat, add some of these to the top.
- Lime- Sometimes, I will take a lime wedge and squeeze a little on top.
- Sour cream- You can add a few dollops on the dish or use the squeeze containers to make a pretty design.
- Guacamole – I love love this! We have an easy homemade guacamole recipe.
- Black beans- Sprinkle a handful of black beans on top.
Variations to try:
- Add a layer of refried beans to the dip. Sometimes I add this and it is so delicious. Just put the refried beans in the baking dish first and put the cream cheese layer on top of the beans.
- Omit the meat! Skip the ground beef layer and add refried beans or just enjoy with the cream cheese layer alone. I have tried all of these options and they are all amazing.
- Use ground turkey. You can easily substitute ground turkey for ground beef. It blends with the taco seasoning and other flavors. No one will even notice!
Print this ground beef taco dip recipe:
Ground beef taco dip
- 1 lb Ground Beef
- 2 Tbsp Taco Seasoning Divided (or 1 packet)
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1/2 cup Salsa
- 16 oz Sour Cream
- 8 oz Cream Cheese softened
- 2 cups shredded Iceberg Lettuce
- 1 cup Shredded Cheddar Cheese
- 2 medium Tomatoes diced
- 1/4 cup Slice Olives
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet over medium high heat. Drain off the excess grease. Then stir in 1 Tbsp of the taco seasoning (or ½ a packet), the salsa and water into the heat. Cook uncovered for 2-4 minutes.
- In a separate large bowl, beat together the cream cheese, sour cream and the remaining taco seasoning with a hand held mixer.
- Then spread the cream cheese mixture in the bottom of a 8X8 or 9X9 pan. Top with the ground beef, shredded lettuce, cheese, tomatoes and sliced olives.
- Serve with chips and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe