This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Nothing says crisp fall morning better then the smell of Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls baking in the oven. Enjoy this delicious treat for a tasty and delicious breakfast.
I have to be honest, I am not a huge pumpkin fan, but I have been on quite the pumpkin kick lately. I have learned that you don’t have to add a lot of pumpkin to get that little hint of something different.
I have really enjoyed experimenting with different cinnamon roll recipes to turn them into something tasty and delicious for fall. These pumpkin cinnamon rolls do involve yeast and rising of dough, but they are very easy to make.
Cinnamon Rolls are the perfect breakfast recipe. We love to make them for a holiday breakfast or for a weekend breakfast. Check out these other cinnamon roll recipes – Bacon Cinnamon Rolls or Mini Cinnamon Rolls.
Table of Contents
- Why You Will Love these Cinnamon Rolls:
- Equipment Needed:
- Step by Step Instructions:
- Expert Tips:
- Which Yeast is Best for Cinnamon Rolls?
- How to Measure Flour:
- What to Serve with Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls:
- Frequently Asked Questions:
- More Easy Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe
Why You Will Love these Cinnamon Rolls:
- Simple Ingredients – If you love to bake, you probably already have the ingredients to make these cinnamon rolls.
- Soft Texture – You will love the soft and fluffy texture after these pumpkin spice cinnamon rolls are baked.
- Flavorful – The warm spices and the pumpkin flavor makes these cinnamon rolls perfect to serve during the fall season.
- Warm Water
- Active Dry Yeast
- Pumpkin Puree – Make sure you also see how to make pumpkin puree easily to save you money.
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- All Purpose Flour
- Pumpkin Pie Spice
- Pumpkin Puree – See how to make pumpkin puree.
- Vanilla Extract
- Brown Sugar
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- Unsalted Butter
- Cream Cheese
- Powdered Sugar
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom of the post for the recipe card.
- Milk – Feel free to use any type of milk to make this recipe. You can use whole milk, almond milk or low fat milk.
- Brown Sugar – Light brown sugar or dark brown sugar works in this recipe. The dark brown sugar enhances deeper flavors.
- Vegan Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls – If you prefer to make these vegan, omit the egg and add in more pumpkin puree. Make sure to also choose a vegan butter or a vegan cream cheese.
- Stand Mixer – We recommend using a stand mixer with a dough hook to combine the ingredients. You can also knead the dough by hand.
- Wooden Spoon – For best results, we recommend combining the dough mixture with a wooden spoon.
- Rolling Pin – To flatten the dough to prepare to add cinnamon mixture, we recommend using a rolling pin.
- Serrated Knife – To cut the dough into slices, we recommend using a knife of dental floss.
- Baking Dish – This cinnamon roll recipes makes enough to fit the cinnamon rolls in a 9×13 baking pan.
Step by Step Instructions:
- Step 1 – Mix together the ¼ cup warm water and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes. You will see the yeast activate – tiny bubbles will form at the surface and the liquid will thicken slightly.
- Step 2 – In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, slowly combine yeast mixture. Combine with the remainder of the dry ingredients, milk through flour in a bowl of an electric mixer.
- Step 3 – Place the dough in a well greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap.
- Step 4 – Allow to rise until about double in size – about an hour to an hour and a half.
Step 5 – Remove dough from bowl and knead for 1-2 minutes. Adding flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands or the counter top.
Step 6 – Roll out into large rectangle. Mix together filling ingredients. Then spread over the top of your rolled out rectangle. Mix together ½ cup brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of your rectangle.
Step 7 – Roll up the dough, starting at the short end. Now, you’ll need to slice your long roll into individual pumpkin cinnamon rolls.
Step 8 – Slice your long roll into individual pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Cut a long piece of dental floss and place it under your roll. Cross the floss on top of your roll and pull in opposite directions. Repeat slicing until you have about 15-18 pieces.
Step 9 – Place sliced rolls in your glass casserole dish (sprayed with cooking spray). Make sure they are nice and snug. Cover with plastic wrap and let rolls rise for another 30-60 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
Step 10 – Bake in 375 F oven for 15 minutes to 25 minutes or until nice and golden brown. Mix together icing ingredients. Place icing on cinnamon rolls and serve warm.
- Making the Dough – Allow enough time for you yeast to form with the water. Then when it is time to combine the other ingredients with the yeast mixture, we recommend using a stand mixer. This ensures that the ingredients are thoroughly combined.
- Rise Dough – You want to make sure you dough rises and doubles in size before making the cinnamon rolls. This process will take about 1 to 2 hours. Make sure to cover with plastic wrap and place in a grease bowl.
- Kneading Dough – To prevent the dough from sticking to your hands while kneading, add flour to them. The dough will be sticky and adding flour helps to manager it better.
- Serving Cinnamon Rolls – We think these cinnamon rolls are best served warm.
- Room Temperature Butter – Before combining the ingredients we recommend the butter be softened and not melted butter.
Which Yeast is Best for Cinnamon Rolls?
When making homemade bread or cinnamon rolls, we often use yeast. There are two types of yeast to choose from. Here is the breakdown so you know the right one to choose.
- Active Dry Yeast – We used active dry yeast in this recipe. This option has to be mixed with a liquid to activate the yeast.
- Instant Yeast – Instant yeas can be used in this recipe, but it can just be added to the other ingredients. There is no waiting to allow the yeast to activate. It immediately works as it combines. You still need to mix with liquid to allow to combine correctly.
How to Measure Flour:
When measuring the flour to add to the mixing bowl, we recommend using a kitchen scale. If you do not have one, that is not a problem. Simply take your measuring cup and scoop it in the flour dispenser.
There is no need to shake or pack the flour once it is in the measuring cup. This allows there to be air in the flour. After scooping flour, take a knife and scrape across the top of the flour.
This allows it to have a level cup and no worries of adding extra to the mixture.
What to Serve with Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls:
These cinnamon rolls are perfect to serve with any occasion. I love to make them for a weekend breakfast or Thanksgiving morning brunch. Make some Air Fryer Bacon Recipe, breakfast sausage, and Fruit Salad Recipe for a complete meal idea.
These cinnamon rolls go perfectly with a Starbucks Pumpkin Spice Latte.
We love the cream cheese icing recipe above. It is amazing and the cream cheese goes perfectly with the pumpkin.
You can also use vanilla icing or even just powdered sugar on top. The kids have also put whipped cream on the pumpkin cinnamon rolls.
Frequently Asked Questions:
If you want to make these the night before, follow the directions for steps 1 through 8. Place them in the refrigerator overnight. In the morning, let them sit at room temperature for 30-60 minutes and then bake as per the directions in step 9.
These cinnamon rolls are okay left at room temperature for up to 2 days. After that, place in an airtight container and store in the fridge.
They will stay good for up to 5 days. When you ready to serve, reheating in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Cinnamon rolls can be frozen for a delicious treat all winter long. Bake the cinnamon rolls and let them cool to room temperature.
We recommend waiting to frost until you are ready to serve. Wrap the pan in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and place in the freezer.
They will stay fresh up to 3 months.
When you are ready to serve your frozen cinnamon rolls.
Allow them to thaw at room temperature. Then warm them in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes.
You can also reheat in the microwave in 15 second intervals.
More Easy Pumpkin Recipes:
- Pumpkin Muffin Recipe
- Easy Pumpkin Chocolate Chocolate Chip Bars
- Starbucks Pumpkin Scones Recipe
- Pumpkin Cookies
- Easy Crock Pot Pumpkin Cinnamon Roll Casserole Recipe
- Delicious Pumpkin Granola
We love hearing from you. If you make this Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls Recipe, make sure to leave a comment or a star review.
Pumpkin Cinnamon Rolls
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree – See how to make pumpkin puree.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 3 – 3 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/4 cup pumpkin puree – You can also easily make homemade canned pumpkin too.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon milk
- Mix together the warm water and yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes. You will see the yeast activate – tiny bubbles will form at the surface and the liquid will thicken slightly.
- In a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, slowly combine yeast mixture with the remainder of the dough ingredients, milk through flour.
- Place the dough in a well greased bowl and turn to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Allow to rise until about double in size – about an hour to an hour and a half.
- Remove dough from bowl and knead for 1-2 minutes, adding flour so it doesn’t stick to your hands or the countertop. Roll out into large rectangle.
- Mix together filling ingredients – pumpkin pie spice through vanilla. Spread over the top of your rolled out rectangle. Mix together brown sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle on top of your rectangle.
- Roll up the dough, starting at the short end.
- Slice your long roll into individual pumpkin cinnamon rolls. Cut a long piece of dental floss and place it under your roll. Cross the floss on top of your roll and pull in opposite directions. You will get nice clean cut slices every time. 😉
- Repeat slicing until you have about 15-18 pieces. Place sliced rolls in your glass casserole dish (sprayed with cooking spray). Make sure they are nice and snug. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise for another 30-60 minutes, or until almost doubled in size.
- Bake in 375 F oven for 20-25 minutes or until nice and golden brown.
- Mix together icing ingredients. Place icing on cinnamon rolls and serve warm.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe