This delicious recipe for Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots is so amazing that even the kids will love it. They are buttery and sweet for a tasty and easy side dish. This side is great for a weeknight meal or at your holiday dinner.
If you have never had glazed carrots, it is such a sweet and delicious side dish. This recipe can be made quickly and easily during the week for an inexpensive vegetable to serve with your main dish.
The flavor is yummy and even my non carrot loving kiddos enjoy this dish. So, give it a try even if carrots aren’t your favorite.
The brown sugar and butter glaze make these taste fabulous. Your entire family will seriously love this!
This recipe is easy enough for busy weeknights but also perfect for holidays. We love to make this for Thanksgiving, Christmas and Easter. Our family goes crazy over it!
My family’s favorite side dish:
This has to be our family’s favorite side dish. Anything I can do to get my family to eat more vegetables, I will do it. Some of my kids are not big fans of raw carrots, but when I make this easy 5 ingredient glazed carrots everyone is so excited.
The flavors of the butter and brown sugar combined with the carrots make for the most amazing side dish. Plus it is very inexpensive to make so that makes me happy.
We love carrots and the glaze that coats the carrots.
Different Cooking Methods:
Not only can you make this recipe on your stove top but you can also put your other appliances to use.
- Make them in your slow cooker. Cook ingredients on high for about 2 hours.
- In the oven works great too. Place ingredients in a baking dish and cook at 350 degrees for about an hour.
- They can even be made in your Instant Pot. Place ingredients in your instant pot and cover. Set pot to sealing and press pressure cook. In about 3 minutes you will have an amazing side dish.
- Carrots- washed and peeled
- Brown Sugar
- Salt and Pepper
That is all you need to make this amazing side dish. You do not need much at all for this yummy recipe.
How to make glazed carrots
- First, wash and peel the carrots. Slice them into 1/2″ thick slices and add carrots to a large skillet on the stove top.
- Try to cut them as evenly as possible. This will help them all cook at the same time.
- Second, add the water to the skillet and cover. Cook on medium high heat until the carrots are simmering.
- Once the carrots start to simmer, cook them for about 8 to 10 minutes or until the carrots are tender. When they have finished cooking, drain the water.
- Finally, add the brown sugar, butter and salt. Combine this with the carrots so everything is coated well. Let this cook for another 4 to 5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken. The melted butter glaze is the best part!
The cooked carrots are best served warm. Enjoy!
Tips for Brown Sugar glazed carrots:
- Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 7 days. The sauce will thicken as it cools. When reheating, added water or broth to thin out the sauce as needed.
- We used regular carrots but you can use baby carrots if you prefer. Either leave the baby carrots whole or slice in half. Whichever type of carrot you use, they will still turn out so good.
- Did you know you can use canned carrots? Just adjust the cooking time as they will only need to be heated.
- It is best to use real butter and not margarine in the recipe.
- You can use dark brown sugar or light brown sugar in the carrots.
- Roasting carrots is another idea to try if you would rather roast the carrots first.
- Try adding cinnamon to the recipe. Yum!
- Substitute honey or maple syrup for the brown sugar. I often just use what I have on hand. Try about 2 or 3 tablespoons of honey or syrup based on preference.
- You can even added about ½ cup of walnuts or pecans to this recipe.
The same as Caramelized Carrots?
Yes, glazed carrots and candied carrots are the same as Caramelized Carrots. The brown sugar that is added makes it caramelized. So if you want it a little sweeter, just add more brown sugar.
What to serve with glazed carrots:
- Crockpot Whole Chicken
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken Recipe
- Simple Oven Baked Pork Chops
- Cranberry Orange Crock Pot Pork Tenderloin
All of these are easy recipes but truly just about anything would go great with these carrots. Just keep it simple for an easy weeknight meal.
This recipe is so delicious!
Candied carrots literally take only minutes but taste so amazing. Once you try sugar glazed carrots, you will be hooked.
The natural sweetness from the carrots combined with the butter and brown sugar result in a yummy side dish. Even the kids will love it and not complain about eating their veggies.
It is super easy and definitely going to be a crowd favorite. My kids were hesitant at first especially the ones that don’t like carrots but I insisted they at least try it.
However, after one bite, they were quickly a fan. I call that a win in my book.
Give this a try today for a great side dish the entire family will enjoy. I love recipes that are easy and frugal. It sure helps to keep dinner time stress free!
The butter and brown sugar turn carrots into something fabulous. It is a great comfort food dish. Everyone will be asking for more.
Print this easy glazed carrots recipe:
Brown Sugar Glazed Carrots
- 2 lbs Carrots washed and peeled
- 1/2 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 1/2 cup Water
- Slice the carrots into 1/2? thick slices and place them in a large skillet. Add the water to the skillet. Cover and medium high heat until the carrots are simmering.
- Continue to cook over medium heat for approximately 8-10 minutes or until the carrots are tender.
- Drain off any excess water.
- Then stir in the brown sugar, butter and salt. Stir to coat the carrots in the butter and seasoning.
- Cook for an additional 4-5 minutes until the sauce has formed and thickened some.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe