Mexican Monday just got easier thanks to Chicken Chimichangas in the crock pot. Flavorful and tender chicken is slow cooked to perfection making it super easy to make chimichangas any night of the week!
We are going to show you how to easily make the best chicken for these chicken chimichangas. The crock pot does all of the work and you will never make chimichangas any other way!
It is the perfect recipe when you are going to be busy and need to come home to dinner. Plus, the meat really is so flavorful from being slow cooked.
This recipe does not disappoint. It’s a game changer!
What to serve with chicken chimichangas?
We like this Delicious Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe. It is so easy and packed with flavor.
Another great idea is Crock Pot Refried Beans. They are so easy in the slow cooker and really tasty.
Black beans are also tasty. We have even added those with the slow cooker chicken breasts mixture to stretch the meat.
Tip: You can save even more time and learn how to freeze rice and you can make this meal even easier. I love to grab the rice from the freezer in the morning and when we come home it is all ready to enjoy.
It is much cheaper than those prepackaged servings of rice and so fast and quick. We do this all the time and it is the best time saver and great on the budget.
Make sure you have a good crock pot to make this chicken chimichanga recipe.
I have the Ninja cooking system and it is my absolute favorite. The nice thing about this is you can brown the meat in the same slow cooker.
It is nice to just have the one pan to clean and it is very handy. It has become of my favorite kitchen appliances.
If you are in the market for a new crockpot, this one is my favorite. I use this all the time and it’s great.
This is awesome for when you need to take the crockpot somewhere. I often use the slow cooker to take dishes to potluck events and this feature is amazing!
There are several others on sale here.
Another favorite is this programmable crock pot for when I am am not at home all day. I love coming home to a nice meal ready and waiting!
I also like to use crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These are worth every penny and save a ton of time.
If you don’t use the liners, I would use cooking spray.
Chicken chimichangas ingredients:
- boneless skinless chicken breasts
- salsa (we used picante)
- Tablespoons of Taco Seasoning (We like homemade taco seasoning.)
- 6-8 burrito size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
- ¼ cup butter, melted
Optional toppings, sour cream, pico, and cilantro
How to make chicken chimichangas:
Place all the ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours.
Shred chicken into bite size pieces and stir back in.
Next, place the flour tortilla on a work surface. Place chicken in the middle.
Top with ⅓ cup cheddar cheese. Fold in the sides and roll up.
Place on a baking sheet. Continue with all of them.
Brush the outside with melted butter with a basking brush.
Bake them in 425 oven for 20 minutes, flipping them halfway.
Serve with your favorite toppings such as sour cream, pico and cilantro.
Notes – you can “fry” them in an aiy air fryer at 400 degrees for 4-5 minutes flipping half way between the time.
More delicious topping ideas:
- shredded lettuce
- sour cream
- shredded cheese
- Quick Salsa Verde De Tomatillo Recipe
- Very Simple Guacamole Recipe
- The best pico de gallo recipe
- fresh lime juice
There are lots of tasty and easy options to try.
Try adding onions and peppers to the chicken mixture in the crock pot.
This is optional but adds a ton of flavor. Give it a try and see how delicious it is.
We keep diced onion and bell pepper in the freezer so it is easy to add to any recipe we like. Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop the onions.
If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them. They are such a time saver and you can get the veggies really fine if you have children that are picky.
I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need. It’s so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes.
This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Print this recipe for baked chicken chimichangas below:
Crock pot chicken chimichangas
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup salsa we used picante
- 1 Tablespoons Taco Seasoning
- 6-8 Burrito size flour tortillas
- 2 cups shredded Colby jack cheese
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- Optional toppings: sour cream, pico, and cilantro
- Place all the ingredients in the crock pot. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred chicken into bite size pieces and stir back in.
- Place the flour tortilla on a work surface. Place chicken in the middle.
- Top with ⅓ cup cheddar cheese.
- Fold in the sides and roll up.
- Place on a baking sheet.
- Continue with all of them.
- Brush the outside with melted butter with a basking brush.
- Bake them in 425 oven for 20 minutes, flipping them halfway.
- When serving top with sour cream, pico and cilantro.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other easy chicken recipes:
- Crock Pot Chicken Tostadas Recipe
- The Best Crockpot Chicken Tacos Recipe – only 3 ingredients
- Crockpot Chicken and Stuffing Recipe
- Slow Cooker Cashew Chicken Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
- Slow Cooker: Cilantro Lime Chicken Recipe
- Easy Crock pot Chicken Vegetable Soup