This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
If you are looking for a delicious, comfort food meal make Cube Steak and Gravy. It is loaded with flavor and made easily in a cast iron skillet.
Easy Cube Steak and Gravy Recipe:
Cube Steak and Gravy is delicious and easy to make with simple ingredients. We love making this meal on a Sunday night with mashed potatoes and green beans. The steak cooks tender and then simmered in a delicious gravy.
This is one of my favorites dish to make. This cube steak cooks easily on the stovetop but you can also make in the slow cooker. Crockpot cube steaks cooks tender and delicious served over egg noodles.
If you are looking for an easy weeknight meal, make this tender Cube Steak and Gravy Recipe. Whether you make it in the crock pot, instant pot or in a skillet. It will turn out delicious and a family favorite.
What is Cube Steak?
Cube Steak is a type of meat that has already been tenderized and pounded with a meat mallet. The reason it is called cubed is because of the small indentations in the meat.
This cut of beef can also be breaded to make chicken fried steak. This recipe can also be made with top sirloin and just pounded out thin.
- Cube Steaks
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Butter (divided)
- Yellow Onion (sliced)
- All Purpose Flour (divided)
- Beef Broth
- Worcestershire Sauce
How to Make Cube Steak and Gravy:
- Step 1 – Season Cube Steak – Season the cube steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then lightly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour on both sides of the steaks.
- Step 2 – Add Seasoned Steaks to hot oil – Heat 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the steaks to the skillet.
- Step 3 – Cook on low heat – Cook the cube steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side until they are browned slightly. Remove the steaks from the skillet to a separate plate.
- Step 4 – Add Butter – Add the remaining butter to the pan. Heat until it’s melted.
- Step 5 – Add Flour Mixture – Whisk in the remaining flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Step 6 – Thicken Gravy – Whisk in the broth and Worcestershire sauce until creamy. Then stir in the onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes until onions are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Step 7 – Cover Steaks with Gravy – Add the steaks back to the skillet. Cover the steaks with the gravy.
- Step 8 – Simmer Gravy – Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the steak are cooked through.
- Step 9 – Serve and Enjoy – Remove from heat. Serve warm over mashed potatoes and enjoy.
Why is my Cube Steak Tough?
There a few things to prevent your cube steak from getting tough while cooking. Cube Steak is a budget friendly cut of meat. Most of the time you will find that it is marked that it has been tenderized.
- If your cube steak has not been pounded with a meat mallet, make sure to do this step.
- Since these steaks are thin, it doesn’t take long to cook them. Make sure to only cook them a few minutes on each side.
- Cooking the steaks in a gravy helps to keep them tenderized. Allow the steaks to simmer in the gravy a little longer. I have even placed the cast iron skillet in the oven to cook even longer.
Cube Steak Recipe Tips:
- Seasoning Steak – Feel free to combine the seasoning in a bowl and then add to your steaks. Make sure to season thoroughly for the best flavor.
- Gravy – Allow the butter and flour to heat together for at least a minute to make the roux for the gravy. Then pour in the additional ingredient and bring to a boil to thicken the gravy.
- Steaks – When adding the steaks back into the pan to cook with the gravy mix. Allow the steaks to simmer in the gravy. This keeps them tender and gives them so much flavor.
- Skillet – When making cube steak and gravy, we recommend using a cast iron skillet. It gives the steak the perfect texture and heats everything completely.
- Internal Temperature – We recommend checking the temperature of the steak so it doesn’t overcook. The temperature should be 145 degrees.
What to Serve with Cube Steak and Gravy:
This pan fried recipe is delicious with many different side dishes. These are some of our favorite.
- White Rice – I love making rice with this recipe as it so easy to make thanks to the slow cooker. It is budget friendly and you can easily make ahead of time. Perfect to place in the freezer to use for many different meals.
- Mashed Potatoes – Another easy crock pot side dish that goes great with this cube steak recipe. There is no need to dirty up multiple dishes when making mashed potatoes. You can make, mash and serve right in the slow cooker. It even will keep them warm for you.
- Roasted Vegetables – Make a delicious of roasted vegetables such as broccoli, asparagus or green beans. They are easy to make in the oven and make a quick and easy side.
- Additions – Feel free to add in some slice mushrooms when cooking the gravy. Mushrooms are a perfect addition to this recipe. You can also add in cream of mushroom soup for a creamier gravy.
- Gravy – I like to add in additional seasoning when making the gravy. Feel free to add in onion powder or onion soup mix packet. Make sure to taste the gravy as you may need to add in a teaspoon salt or two.
- Change the Meat – This recipe can be made with different cuts of meat. You can easily substitute the cube steak with chicken or pork.
- Creamier Gravy – If you prefer your gravy to be creamier, add in heavy cream or milk.
Can I Make Cube Steak and Gravy ahead of time?
Yes, if you like to meal prep for the week, you can easily prepare this meal. Follow the recipe as indicated and then allow it to cool. Place the cooked meal in an air tighter container and place in the fridge.
When you are ready to reheat, remove from the refrigerator and reheat in a skillet. Serve with your favorite sides for a quick and easy weeknight meal.
How to Store Leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also freeze this recipe by placing in a freezer safe container. It will stay fresh in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Thaw in the refrigerator overnight and reheat.
Print Recipe for Cube Steak and Gravy:
Cube Steak and Gravy
- Season the cube steaks with salt, pepper and garlic powder. Then lightly sprinkle 1 tablespoon of flour on both sides of the steaks.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of butter to a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the steaks to the skillet.
- Cook the cube steaks for 4-5 minutes on each side until they are browned slightly. Remove the steaks from the skillet to a separate plate.
- Add the remaining butter to the skillet. Heat until it’s melted.
- Whisk in the remaining flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in the broth and Worcestershire sauce until creamy. Then stir in the onions. Cook for 5-6 minutes until onions are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Add the steaks back to the skillet. Cover the steaks with the gravy.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 5-7 minutes until the steak are cooked through.
- Remove from heat. Serve warm over mashed potatoes and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Easy Skillet Beef Recipes:
- Skillet Beef Burrito Recipe with Rice and Beans
- Beef and Macaroni Skillet Dinner
- One Pot Cheesy Taco Pasta Recipe
- Garlic Butter Steak Bites