This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
With only a few simple ingredients, you can have this Easy Instant Pot Steak and Potatoes on the table fast. You will be amazed at how tender this steak is and the flavor is the best.
This pressure cooker steak cooks with the best flavor. It is an easy instant pot recipe that the whole family will love. If you are following a gluten free, keto or low carb diet, then this recipe is for you.
Pressure cooking has been a game changer for my family. You must try this Instant Pot Steak Bites Recipe for another easy meal idea.
Table of Contents
What Kinds of Steak to Use?
We love beef recipes. There are many different kinds of steak you can use. We tend to go with the cheaper steak but have tried these others:
- Tenderloin – Filet Mignon
- NY Strip Steak – Top Loin, Top Sirloin
- Porterhouse – T-bone Steak
- Flank Steak
- Skirt Steak
Check out these instant pot beef recipes for other delicious meal ideas.
- Round steaks (or any cut of beef )
- Red wine vinegar (see The Best Red Wine Vinegar Substitutes)
- A-1 Sauce
- Onion sliced – You can slice or dice the onions.
- Steak Seasoning – You can use store bought or Homemade Steak Seasoning
- Beef stock (you can also use 1 cup of water) or Beef Broth
- Red potatoes
- Minced Garlic
Scroll to the bottom of the post for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Potatoes – Red Potatoes are our favorite – But you can use Russet Potatoes or Yellow Gold.
- Vegetables – For a complete meal idea, add in other types of vegetables such as carrots.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – First, put the sliced onions in the instant pot
Step 2 – Second, add the round steaks, ribeye steak or any cheap cut of meat on top of the onions.
- Step 3 – Next, you need a small bowl. Whisk together the vinegar and A-1 and pour over steaks. This helps steaks from being dry.
Step 4 – Now, it is time to season with steak seasoning. Make sure is covered with the seasoning.
Step 5 – Finally, pour in the beef stock and remaining ingredients over the steaks.
- Step 6 – Get out a piece of heavy duty foil. Set aside and dice the potatoes. Try make sure that the potatoes are diced the same size so they cook evenly. Place potatoes on the foil.
- Step 7 – Add the seasoning to the minced garlic, salt, and pepper. Top the potatoes with butter and the garlic mixture.
- Step 8 – Make sure to fold up the sides of the foil so that you make a foil pack. Put this on top of the steaks in the instant pot.
- Step 9 – Once everything is situated, add the lid and set the valve to sealing. Use the manual release button and set to high pressure for 20 minutes.
- Step 10 – After the cooking time has finished, do a quick natural release for the pressure. Please be careful of the steam while you are doing the pressure release.
- Step 11 – Take the foil pack potatoes out of the pressure cooker and toss to make sure the potatoes are coated in the butter and seasonings. You can use the sauté function for this if you prefer.
- Step 12 – Remove the cook steak from the instant pot and serve with the potatoes and your sides. Your family will be excited to have steak during the week.
- Instant Pot Recommendation – I am using an 8 quart Instant pot but you can use a 6 quart if you prefer. Since purchasing an instant pot, it truly has changed meal time around here. I can pull together dinner in little to no time.
- Crock Pot Option – No worries if you don’t have an instant pot, you can try our yummy Tangy Crock pot Steak Recipe.
- Foil – I recommend using heavy duty foil for the potatoes. It is much sturdier than regular. If you don’t have heavy duty, double the regular foil.
- Steak Selection – Feel free to substitute the round steak for any type of steak you can get on sale. We have used sirloin steaks before and it was yummy.
- Sear Steak – If you want to you can sear you steak with extra virgin olive oil on the sauté setting in the instant pot. If you do this, deglaze pot after you are done. By scraping bottom of the pot to remove browned bits.
- Slice Steak – If you prefer you can also slice steak into strips and cook it that way. Cut the strips about 1 inch thick and then cook.
There are so many different sides you can serve with this Instant Pot Steak recipe. The potatoes can be mashed or served as butter potatoes. We have even served with egg noodles.
Make sure you serve with some homemade rolls for dipping into the gravy and your meal is complete. Here are some of our favorite sides:
Frequently Asked Questions
Store instant pot sirloin steak leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 days. This makes a great meal to meal prep with. We think it taste even better the next day.
Place the steak in a freezer safe container and freeze for up to 3 months.
When you are ready to serve, thaw steak overnight in the fridge. Then reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop for best results.
More easy steak recipes
More easy Instant pot recipes
If you make this Instant Pot Steak and Potatoes Recipe, please leave us a comment. We love hearing from you.
Instant pot Steak and Potatoes
- Place the sliced onions in the bottom of the pressure cooker.
- Top with the steaks.
- In a small bowl wisk together the vinegar and A-1. Pour over steaks.
- Season with steak seasoning.
- Pour in the beef stock.
- Dice up your red potatoes and place on a 12×12 sheet of foil.
- Season with the minced garlic, salt, and pepper. top with butter.
- Fold up the sides of the foil to make a foil pack.
- Place on top of the steaks.
- Add the lid and make sure the valve is set to sealing.
- Press the manual button and set pressure for 20 minutes.
- Once finished do a quick release to release the steam.
- Remove the foil pack potatoes and toss to coat the potatoes in the butter and seasonings.
- Serve with your favorite green side dish and top with the delicious onions (our favorite part)
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe