You don’t need take out with this simple Instant Pot Pepper Steak. This easy pepper steak recipe is bursting with flavor and is incredibly quick and simple in the pressure cooker!
What is Chinese pepper steak made of?
This delicious pepper steak with onion chinese recipe is a family favorite around here! It’s made with tender beef strips that have the best flavor with all the soy sauce and brown sugar!
The green peppers and onion come together to really give it an amazing flavor that everyone will love.
No one even asks for take out anymore! We all just love this Instant Pot Chinese Pepper Steak Recipe so much!
You will need an electric pressure cooker for this recipe.
If you prefer to slow cook this, try Crockpot Pepper Steak.
Let’s make Instant pot pepper steak.
- Beef strips (I used thinly sliced round steaks and sliced them into strips)
- Green bell pepper, sliced thick
- Red bell pepper, sliced thick
- Onion, sliced thick
- Garlic powder
- Beef Broth
- Ground Ginger
- Soy sauce
- Black pepper
- Brown sugar
How to make instant pot pepper steak:
First, add the beef to the electric pressure cooker.
You can saute the beef in a tablespoon of vegetable oil on the saute setting over medium high heat. This is optional.
Second, add the seasonings, brown sugar, and soy sauce on top of the beef.
Then, pour the beef stock into the Instant pot. Stir everything together to combine.
Next, add the lid and make sure it is set to sealing. The pressure needs to be set on high for 10 minutes.
When it has finished, do a quick release to release the pressure. If you prefer it extra tender and want the steak to fall apart, do a natural release).
Now, add the peppers and onions. Seal the pressure cooker and cook on high pressure for 1 minute with a quick release.
You could even use yellow bell peppers for a change! Just use what you have on hand. It’s so yummy.
Take the lid off and hit the cancel button. Next, change the pressure cooker to the sauté mode.
Finally, get a separate small bowl and add the water and cornstarch together. Whisk until the cornstarch is mixed in.
Stir this into the pepper steak mixture in the pressure cooker.
It will thicken everything nicely. Now, bring to a boil for 3 to 5 minutes.
Once the sauce begins to thicken, turn off and serve over white rice.
Get all the flavors of chinese restaurant but at home.
What kind of steak to use?
- Round steak or flank steak work great in this recipe.
- You can even use stew meat.
How to serve Chinese pepper steak
- We like to serve this dish with rice. I even cook the rice in the Instant pot and it’s very simple! You can use brown rice or white rice depending on what your family likes.
- Cauliflower Rice Recipe
- Easy fried Rice
- Did you know you can also freeze rice to make dinner time even easier? Such a time saver.
- Homemade Egg Rolls– That would be something fun to try if you have a little extra time.
- This dish is also good with a simple side salad or steamed broccoli in the microwave. We like to keep it simple around here!
Pressure cooker pepper steak is the fast.
Even on the nights I forget to take meat out of the freezer, my instant pot comes to the rescue! I used to run around like crazy all day and then at dinner time my meat was still frozen.
Now, I just put everything into the instant pot and dinner is ready. No more take out for us or running around trying to hit the drive thru when I can have dinner ready in 30 minutes.
This dinner is so simple and delicious that it will be on your menu plan rotation frequently. It will definitely be a family favorite.
The beef is so tender that you can literally cut it with your fork. I just love how the soy sauce and brown sugar marinate this meat. It’s SO good.
I pour extra sauce over my rice because it has the best flavor. Your entire family will love this Easy Pepper Steak Recipe. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser.
Print instant pot pepper steak recipe:
Instant Pot Chinese Pepper Steak recipe
- 1.5 lbs Round Steak (cut into strips)
- 1 green bell pepper (sliced thick)
- 1 red bell pepper (sliced thick)
- 1/2 onion (sliced thick)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbp cornstarch
- Place the beef in the Instant Pot.
- Add the seasonings, brown sugar, and soy sauce over the beef.
- Pour the beef broth in the Instant pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Add the lid and make sure it is set to sealing position. Set the pressure to high for 10 minutes.
- Once finished to a quick release (or if you want the steak to fall apart, do a natural release).
- Then add in the peppers and onions. Seal the Instant Pot and cook on high pressure for 1 minutes with a quick release.
- Remove the lid and hit the cancel button. Then change the pressure cooker to the sauté mode.
- In a small separate bowl mix ¼ cup of cold water with a tablespoon of cornstarch together. Then stir into the pepper steak mixture in the Instant pot.
- Bring to a boil for 3-5 minutes until the sauce begins to thicken.
- Turn off and serve over a bed of white rice.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe