Instant Pot Cowboy Chili Recipe is thick and delicious for hearty appetites. It has the best flavor combination full of ground beef, tomatoes, beans and more. Get dinner on the table fast with this easy pressure cooker recipe.
Instant pot cowboy chili
Sometimes you just want a hearty bowl of chili. This recipe satisfies that craving in minutes. Family and friends can enjoy delicious comfort food in less than 20 minutes thanks to the instant pot.
Pressure cooking is so convenient for busy weeknights.
What is cowboy chili?
It is a delicious recipe that combines ground beef, crushed and stewed tomatoes, kidney beans, veggies and more. This comes together for a delicious chili.
If you are wondering how Cowboy chili got this name, it originates from all the hearty ground beef in the chili. Due to this, the original recipe did not have beans but only extra meat. Cowboys like hearty food.
However, meat became limited back then so cowboys started to combine chili with beans together to stretch the chili. Now you have Cowboy chili.
- ground beef
- large red bell pepper
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- beef broth
- crushed tomatoes
- stewed tomatoes
- kidney beans
- chili powder
- cayenne optional (omit this if you do not like spicy or check out Best Cayenne Pepper Substitute)
- cheddar cheese for toppings
- Red onion diced for topping
How to make instant pot cowboy chili:
- First, turn the pressure cooker to the sauté setting. Then brown the ground beef in the Instant Pot until brown. Drain the grease after the meat has browned.
- Next, add all the other ingredients to the Instant Pot except for the cheddar cheese and red onion. You won’t use those until later.
- Then stir all of the ingredients together.
- Finally, seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes with a quick release to release the pressure. The cooking time is minimum and gets dinner on the table fast.
- It is that quick and easy. Serve topped with the shredded cheese and red onion.
What to sere with chili:
- Cornbread. I like to crumble it right into the bowl of chili.
- Baked Potatoes. Pour chili on top of the potato. Top with cheese and you have the best meal.
- Grilled Cheese. This is always a hit and a popular choice with the kids.
For even more ideas, learn what to serve with chili for a delicious meal.
Topping ideas for chili:
- sour cream. Add a dollop of sour cream for creaminess. I always add extra.
- green onion. Chop green onion to garnish. It looks pretty and adds more flavor.
- hot sauce. This is a great way to add extra heat for those that like it spicy.
- diced jalapeno peppers. Top chili with jalapeno peppers for even more heat.
- saltine crackers. You can’t go wrong with simple saltine crackers. Crush them and put into chili.
- corn chips. This is a favorite with the kids.
- tortilla chips. You can use these for dipping or crumble them into your bowl.
- onion. The more onion the better in my opinion. I love to add diced onion on top.
- cheese. Use your favorite type of shredded cheese. It is so tasty.
How to store leftovers:
Refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 to 7 days.
How to freeze:
Allow the chili to cool completely.
Then place in freezer bags or containers. I prefer to use bags because they can lay flat and stack together.
If you have plenty of freezer space, containers would be just fine. You might want to freeze a few individual portions for quick lunches. This is also handy when you need dinner and the entire family isn’t eating.
Store in the freezer up to 3 months.
How to reheat cowboy chili:
Reheat on the stove top using a dutch oven for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through. I use medium high heat stirring occasionally.
If frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge and then reheat as normal.
Finally, reheat for 30 minutes on medium heat. Reduce heat and simmer. Also see Leftover Chili Recipes.
- Ground turkey. Substitute ground turkey for ground beef. Turkey takes on the flavor of the other ingredients.
- Beans. Try using pinto beans instead of kidney beans or mix them together.
- Veggies. Instead of red bell peppers, try using green or yellow. You can also mix of all 3 and it would be yummy and look pretty too.
- Tomatoes. Add tomato sauce with the diced tomatoes. You can also add a can of cream of mushroom with the tomato sauce.
- First, brown your ground beef before you put it in the crock pot.
- Next, add everything else to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.
However, if you don’t have an instant pot or prefer to slow cook this recipe, try Crockpot Chili. You can get full recipe details.
Either way, you will love this recipe.
Give this a try.
This recipe is a family favorite. It is quick and easy to prepare while being budget friendly.
You can feed a crowd with this hearty and filling recipe. Feel free to adjust the ingredients based on what you have on hand.
Anyone can make this. Just toss and go. I think everyone will realy enjoy it.
The flavor is amazing. Friends and family will love a warm bowl of chili.
Print instant pot cowboy chili recipe:
Instant Pot Cowboy Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (28 oz.)
- 1 can stewed tomatoes (14.5 oz.)
- 2 cans of drained kidney beans
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cups cheddar cheese for toppings
- Red onion diced for topping
- Turn the Instant Pot to the sauté. Brown the ground beef in the Instant Pot on the sauté setting until brown. Drain off the excess grease.
- Add all the other ingredients to the Instant Pot except for the cheddar cheese and red onion. Stir until all the ingredients are well combined.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 10 minutes with a quick release.
- Serve topped with the shredded cheese and red onion. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe