Everyone loves a warm bowl of delicious chili and this Crock Pot Cowboy Chili Recipe does not disappoint. This family friendly meal is loaded with hearty beef, beans, zesty tomatoes and more.
Crock pot cowboy chili
Spice things up a bit with this easy to make Crock Pot Cowboy Chili Recipe. This is so easy to make and tastes delicious.
If you can throw things in a crock pot, you can make this. It is SO easy that you can put this together on busy mornings and come home to dinner waiting.
This chili has the perfect blend of seasonings with just enough heat to make it great but not so much that the kids can’t enjoy it. It is a great dinner idea for everyone.
You definitely want to give this chili a try. It is our of our favorite recipes to make on rainy or cooler days. There is just something about a warm bowl of chili that is the best comfort food.
Try it for Game day, family dinner or parties. If you want to make it even faster, try our Instant Pot Cowboy Chili Recipe .
- ground beef
- red bell pepper
- minced garlic
- salt and pepper
- beef broth
- crushed tomatoes
- stewed tomatoes
- kidney beans
- chili powder (See The Best Chili Powder Substitute)
- cayenne (optional – If you don’t like spicy check out our Best Cayenne Pepper Substitute)
- cheddar cheese for toppings
- Red onion for topping
How to make Cowboy Chili
First, brown your ground beef before you put it in the crock pot. Or if you have an Aura cooking system like I do, just brown it right in the same pot.
Next, add everything else and let the slow cooker do all of the work.
Just cover and cook. It is that easy.
Keep reading for the full recipe.
What to serve with cowboy chili
We like to keep things simple and serve with cornbread and top with shredded cheese and onions. Yum!
Some other favorite toppings include:
- sour cream
- green onion
- hot sauce
- diced jalapeno peppers
- saltine crackers
- corn chips
- tortilla chips
What’s the difference between chili and cowboy chili?
Cowboy chili is a little more hearty and calls for 2 pounds of ground beef. Traditional chili normally has just 1 pound.
You will also find beans in cowboy chili.
Cowboy chili variations:
We love to use the leftovers to turn into a casserole. The kids think they are eating something new when really it is just leftovers.
It is simple to make. Pour the leftover chili over tortilla chips and then top with cheese. Bake until cheese is melted and top with all of your favorite toppings.
Substitute ground turkey for ground beef. Turkey takes on the flavor of the other ingredients.
Try using pinto beans instead of kidney beans or mix them together.
Instead of red bell peppers, try using green or yellow. I bet a mix of all 3 would be yummy and look pretty too.
Add tomato sauce with the diced tomatoes. You can also add a can of cream of mushroom with the tomato sauce.
How to freeze:
Chili freezes well. Allow it to cool completely.
Then place in freezer bags or containers. I prefer to use bags because they can lay flat and stack together.
If you have plenty of freezer space, containers would be just fine.
Cowboy chili can be stored in the freezer up to 3 months. See Can You Freeze Chili to learn more.
How to reheat:
Reheat on the stove top using a dutch oven for 15 to 20 minutes until heated through. I use medium high heat stirring occasionally.
If frozen, allow to thaw in the fridge and then reheat as normal.
You may need to reheat for 30 minutes on medium heat if part of the chili is still frozen. Then reduce heat and simmer.
Crock pot Cowboy Chili recipe tips:
- You will need a good slow cooker. This programmable crock pot is handy when you are not at home during the day.
- Use crock pot liners to make clean so easy.
- Stretch your meat budget by reducing the meat to 1 pound and adding extra beans. You can also add extra diced tomatoes to bulk up the chili recipe.
- You can also make this recipe in the instant pot if you prefer.
The entire family will enjoy this.
This meal is perfect for busy school nights and requires very little effort. Serve it with your favorite toppings for a delicious dinner idea.
Print this crockpot cowboy chili recipe below:
Crock pot Cowboy Chili Recipe
- 2 lbs. ground beef
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 large red bell pepper chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 28 oz. can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz. can of stewed tomatoes
- 2 cans of drained kidney beans
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne optional
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 cups cheddar cheese for toppings
- Red onion diced for topping
- Brown the beef in a skillet. Drain the fat.
- Place in the crock pot.
- Add remaining ingredients except for the cheddar cheese and red onion.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 3-4 hours.
- Serve with cornbread, top with shredded cheese and onions.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy chili recipes
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Turkey Chili Crockpot Recipe
- One Pot Tex-Mex Chicken Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie Recipe
- Crock Pot Vegetable and Beef Chili Recipe
Check out 20 of our favorite beef chili recipes.
The recipe says 1/4 cup of chili powder, is that correct?
Is a 1/4 CUP of chili powder correct? That seems like a lot so I just want to make sure before making this recipe.
Yes, that’s correct. I hope you enjoy it!
This chili recipe is a must try! A family favorite for us.
This recipe is a must try! My husband gets so excited when I tell him it’s chili night and well so do I.
Fantastic chili recipe! Added the cayenne pepper, probably will half it next time. Will definitely make it again. It is so good and hearty. Perfect for cold days.