Crockpot Cowboy Casserole Recipe has everything you need for a delicious meal in the slow cooker.
This crock pot recipe gives you the flavor of traditional casserole dishes without any baking. Packed with flavorful ground beef, hearty beans, hash browns, and cheese, this is one recipe your family is going to love.
Crockpot Cowboy Casserole Recipe
Your family is going to go crazy over this new recipe. Crock Pot Cowboy Casserole is comfort food in every single bite.
Layers of melted cheese and cream of mushroom soup blend together with the hash browns, ground beef and more for the absolute best casserole recipe.
No baking dish needed, because the slow cooker gives you that casserole flavor without ever having to watch the oven. It is bursting with flavor and so amazing.
We love one pot meals and it is even better if you can use the crockpot. This meal definitely is easy and has everything you need for a great meal.
It is budget friendly and can easily feed a crowd. If you have a large family like I do, this is the perfect meal to feed a bunch of hungry kiddos without ruining your budget.
Company coming? Toss in a few extra cans of beans and tomatoes and this meal can easily be stretched even more while still being so delicious.
Let’s make Slow Cooker Cowboy Casserole!
- ground beef- You will want to brown it over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain any fat.
- diced onion (I love to use frozen diced onion to save even more time)
- salt and pepper
- can of cream of mushroom soup (You can use our homemade cream of mushroom is so easy)
- frozen diced hash browns
- diced tomatoes with liquid
- frozen corn
- kidney beans- drained
- Shredded cheddar cheese – I recommend you buy the block cheddar cheese and then shred it by hand. The cheese will melt smoother that way.
How to make Crockpot cowboy casserole
First, place all of the ingredients except for the cheese in a 6 quart crockpot and stir well. It is that simple.
Next, just put the lid on and let the slow cooker do the work. I like to cover and cook it for 4 hours on high or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
Some recipes I do not like to cook on high but this cowboy casserole still tastes amazing eve when cooked on high.
Finally, remove the lid after it has finished cooking and add the shredded cheese. Put the lid back on and let this cook for another 30 minutes to allow the cheese to melt.
Top with your favorite toppings and enjoy!
Our favorite toppings include:
- shredded cheese (Try cheddar cheese, Colby, mozzarella and more.)
- sour cream
- diced onion
- hot sauce
- diced jalapeno peppers
I like to crumble the cornbread all over the casserole.
Just use what your family enjoys the most. It is so tasty however you decide to serve it!
Variations to crock pot cowboy casserole:
- Add pinto beans or black beans.
- Stir in a tablespoon of taco seasoning
- Substitute red potatoes instead of hash browns.
- Try other cheeses- Mozzarella, Colby Jack and more would be good.
- Add green bell pepper.
- Try cream of chicken soup or cream of celery soup.
- Add Rotel to give the tomatoes a little kick.
- Green chilis- toss in a can for extra kick.
- Toss in diced Jalapeno Peppers to the mixture.
- Add chili powder to the ground beef.
We love trying new thing and using what we have. Plus, my family thinks we are eating new recipes when really it is the same meal.
Try this one pot meal.
No need to fix side dishes and more when you have such an amazing meal. This is a huge time saver on busy weeknights when we are all just doing good to eat.
You truly can just come home to dinner ready and waiting and enjoy a nice family dinner. Your family can truly gather around the table and eat this fabulous meal even during busy seasons of life.
Now, we do love to put out several yummy toppings but that is super easy and does not take any time at all. Everyone can choose their favorites and it is fun and simple.
It is a family favorite and we all love this recipe.
Crockpot Cowboy Casserole is so easy!
If you are in the market for a new crockpot, I love this casserole crock pot. It is perfect for casserole style slow cooker recipes like this one.
If you prefer a traditional style crock pot, I recommend the Instant Pot Aura Mult-Cooker. I love this style of slow cooker because you can brown the meat in the same pot that you can slow cook in too.
It really cuts down on clean up and that is a plus for us busy moms. It is so nice just having the one pot to clean and not worrying about an extra pan to wash.
I also like to use crock pot liners to make clean up a breeze. These are worth every penny and save a ton of time.
Can you freeze slow cooker cowboy casserole?
Yes! You just need to brown the beef and then place it all the in a freezer bag and freeze. When you are ready to cook this meal, simply add it to the slow cooker and cook like normal.
Sometimes I double the recipe just so I can have extra to freeze for quick meals later. I am all about freezer meals around here.
It is a great freezer meal. Go ahead and make one for now and one to freeze.
You will be so glad you did.
Print Cheesy crockpot cowboy casserole recipe below:
Slow Cooker Cowboy Potato Casserole
- 1 lb ground beef browned and drained
- 1/4 cup diced onion I used frozen diced onion.
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 can of cream of mushroom soup
- 1 lb frozen diced hash browns
- 1 can of diced tomatoes with liquid
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1 can kidney beans drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Place all of the ingredients including beans beef etc with the exception of the cheese in a 6 quart crockpot and stir well.
- Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours.
- Uncover crock-pot and sprinkle shredded cheese over top and recover and let cook an additional 30 minutes.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe