Crock Pot Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole has all the flavors of enchiladas in an easy to make casserole. It is the perfect meal to make during busy weeks because it is so simple and everyone will love it.
Crockpot Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole:
Mexican Monday is even easier thanks to this delicious crock pot beef enchilada casserole recipe. If you loved our Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas Recipe, you will love this shredded beef casserole.
Tons of melted cheese, tender beef and enchilada sauce make this the best meal ever. Not to mention, the crock pot does all the work. This is a simple recipe requires easy ingredients.
This is one of our favorite meals and I make it often because it is so easy. In just minutes, you can put this together and come home to dinner ready and waiting.
Use Leftover Roast to make this recipe:
I love cooking once and eating twice. Anytime I make a roast, I use the leftovers to make these amazing shredded beef enchiladas.
Enchilada Recipe Shredded Beef is mixed with simple seasoning and then layered in a slow cooker for a delicious enchilada recipe.
What is Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole?
Shredded Beef Enchilada Recipe is made with rump roast and homemade enchilada sauce. The ingredients are layered in a crock pot with corn tortillas and topped with cheese.
All the ingredients are cook together to create a delicious, cheesy enchilada casserole. It makes it easy to assemble the enchiladas to make a casserole in the slow cooker.
Ingredients you need:
- Beef Rump Roast
- Red Enchilada Sauce – Try our Homemade Red Enchilada Sauce Recipe
- Green Chilies
- Minced Garlic
- Chili Powder
- Beef Broth
- Corn Tortillas
- Colby Jack Cheese
How to Make Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole in a Crockpot:
- Step 1 – Layer the Ingredients – Put the beef seam side down in the crock pot. Then pour the enchilada sauce over the beef. Add the salsa, green chilies and seasonings on top.
- Step 2 – Slow Cook the Casserole – Cover and cook all day on low. Shred the cook beef once everything is ready.
- Step 3 – Stir in the Meat – Stir the shredded meat back in the crock pot. Now, it is time to add the cheese and corn tortillas.
- Step 4 – Top of the Enchilada – Top with remaining cheese. This is enchilada casserole is yummy.
- Step 5 – Melt Cheese – Cover and cook for a few more minutes so that the cheese can melt.
What to Top on Shredded Beef Enchiladas:
We love a good topping bar and the kids love customizing their enchiladas. Just use what your family loves.
Some of our favorite toppings include:
- Diced Tomatoes
- Green Onion
- Red Onion
- Hot Sauce
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese
- Fresh Lime
- Diced Jalapeno Peppers
- Salsa Verde (try homemade Salsa Verde de Tomatillo Recipe)
What to Serve with Beef Enchiladas Recipe:
It really is delicious served alone. You can add a simple side salad if you prefer. Here are some easy side dishes ideas.
- Delicious Cilantro Lime Rice Recipe
- Instant Pot Homemade Refried Beans
- Black Bean Corn Salsa recipe
- Find more side dish ideas in our What to Serve with Enchiladas.
- Instant Pot – You can use the instant pot if you prefer to make this recipe.
- Enchilada Sauce – We used canned enchilada sauce, but you can easily make your own with easy ingredients.
- Roast – After cooking the roast in the sauce and seasoning then shred easily the roast. Mix the roast back into with the sauce for added flavor. You can shred the roast with forks or with a stand mixer.
- Casserole Dish – Feel free to make this shredded beef casserole can be made in a baking dish. This would be a great option if you have leftover roast. Bake the enchilada in the oven for about 30 minutes.
Substitutions and Additions:
- Creamy Enchilada’s – Mix cream cheese into the beef mixture for a creamier enchilada. Cut into cubes and allow to melt with the cooked mixture.
- Green Sauce – You can use different sauces for this recipes. Try it with green sauce or use a hot sauce if your family can handle it.
- Low Carb Option – If you are following a low carb diet, you can use low carb tortillas. They really have improved the test and I am sure your family won’t be able to tell the difference.
- Tortilla – We used corn tortillas in this casserole, but you can use flour tortilla.
- Change the Cheese – You can mix the cheese if you prefer. Add pepper jack cheese to your cheddar cheese mix for a little heat to the enchiladas.
- Green Chiles – Add green chiles to the beef mixture for added flavor.
- Taco Seasoning – You can easily use this taco seasoning instead of the seasoning listed. Make your own taco seasoning or use the packet seasoning.
- Roast – We used rump roast but you can use a chuck roast if you prefer.
How to Store Leftovers:
Storing leftovers is easy to do with this recipe. I like to place the leftovers in individual containers in the refrigerator. If stored properly these enchiladas will last about 4 days.
To reheat, place on a microwave save dish and reheat in 1 minute intervals. If you have leftover sauce you may need to add to keep from drying out.
Why we Love Ground Beef Enchilada Casserole:
- Easy Recipe – We love to change things up when we make enchiladas. This is an easy way to make them and even my kids can help.
- Simple Ingredients – This recipe only requires a few ingredients which gives it so much flavor.
- Easy Slow Cooker Recipe – I love that the slow cooker does all the work.
- Meal Prep – My husband loves these enchilada leftover. They reheat up well and the flavor is amazing even several days of being in the refrigerator. This is the perfect meal to prepare at the beginning of the week and eat for lunch.
Print this Crock Pot Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole Recipe below:
Crock Pot Shredded Beef Enchilada Casserole
- 2 lb beef rump roast cut into pieces
- 10 oz can red enchilada sauce
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 oz green chilies
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup beef broth
- 10 corn tortillas cut into quarters
- 3 cups colby jack cheese
- Place the beef in the crock pot. Pour the enchilada sauce, salsa, green chilies, minced garlic, onion, and seasonings on top.
- Cover and cook on low for 8-10 hours. Shred the beef.
- Stir back in the crock pot.
- Stir in 1 cup cheese, and the corn tortillas.
- top with the remaining cheese.
- Cover and cook until cheese is melted.
- Top with your favorite toppings.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Enchilada Recipes:
- Easy Ground Beef Enchiladas Recipe
- The best Sour Cream Enchiladas Recipe
- Crockpot Chicken Enchilada Casserole
- Easy Chicken Enchilada Soup Recipe
- Easy Baked Enchilada Chicken Recipe
Try these other Crock Pot Beef Recipes:
- Crock Pot Beef Barbacoa Recipe
- Best CrockPot Cowboy Casserole Recipe
- Crock Pot Shredded Beef Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Beef Burgundy Recipe
- 4 Ingredient Crock Pot Beef Teriyaki Recipe
- Easy Crock Pot Beef Stroganoff Recipe
Can this be made ahead in a freezer meal?
I’m worried about mixing in the corn tortillas… Do they get soggy? If I know ahead of time that there will be leftovers, should I just have people add corn tortillas to their individual portions?
The corn tortillas do get soft but not soggy. I add them in with the cheese right before serving so they do not get overcooked. If you are nervous about it, I think that it would be fine to serve in the individual bowls instead of putting them into the crock pot.
This was great- everyone loved it! I did tweak it a bit. I added a can of drained diced tomatoes, and a can of drained and rinsed black beans. Half an hour before it was done, I scooped out a cup of the liquid, and stirred in two tsp of corn starch, and stirred it back into the crockpot.