This delicious skillet salsa chicken is a favorite around here! The salsa makes the chicken so flavorful and the melted cheese makes it even better! You will love this low carb recipe.
Skillet salsa chicken
Last night I was going to make Baked Mexican chicken, but I got lazy and decided to make an alternative instead. The results were fabulous!! I mean fabulous!
All you need is chicken, salsa and cheese! I did season the chicken breasts with salt and pepper, but that could be optional.
The key is to let the chicken brown really well before flipping it. The browning adds a TON of flavor.
You will be surprised at how easy this Salsa Chicken Keto recipe is. This was a hit with my entire family!
- Skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper (optional)
- Cheddar Cheese, shredded
How to make salsa chicken skillet
First, filet your chicken breasts so they are thinner. This helps the chicken to cook faster and the chicken is more flavorful as well.
Second, get out a skillet and drizzle some oil in it. Heat this to medium/high heat.
Next, place the chicken breasts in there and let them brown really well. It does not take long. usually about 3 minutes.
Once the chicken is brown, flip them so the other side can brown.
After the chicken as been browned, pour in the salsa and water. This needs to come to a boil and then reduce the heat.
Let this mixture cook for 10 minutes until the salsa has reduced and the chicken is cooked all the way through.
You can use chicken broth instead of water if you prefer. It is delicious either way but the broth does add a little more flavor.
Top with shredded cheese before serving. This is optional but I also love it served with sour cream as well.
If you like bell peppers, toss in some diced bell pepper when you add the salsa.
- This is so good served with Easy Grilled Broccoli Side Dish Recipe or Grilled Green Beans! Both are so simple and you can easily bake the side dishes instead of grilling if you prefer.
- Now for those in my family not eating low carb or keto, this dish is amazing served with Easy Spanish Rice Recipe. Once I learned how to cook brown rice in the microwave, I was amazed at how quick it was.
- This is also a tasty side dish option. Do you know how to freeze rice? I do this a lot so I can just take out a small portion for my kids or those not eating low carb. It keeps things simple and saves me a lot of time.
- If you just really want rice and don’t want to stray from your low carb plan, try this Cauliflower Rice Recipe. If you don’t want to chop up a fresh cauliflower, you can buy it pre-packaged in the freezer section. This might help for busy nights!
- I think this skillet chicken would also be yummy served with veggie noodles. Do you have one of the veggie spiralizers? These are great for making healthy noodles from vegetables.
- I use mine a lot when we are having spaghetti. You can see all the different spiralizers here. We like the noodles best with zucchini but you can try any type you prefer. I have also made a stir fry with this and didn’t even miss the rice.
There are so many yummy options! I love that it is easy to make for many different preferences. I can easily enjoy this low carb meal but add some rice for my kids.
This helps prepare dinner on busy nights and really takes the stress out of dinner time. Plus, everyone gets to enjoy a great meal.
- We use a cast iron skillet and it’s perfect for this recipe. I have the Lodge cast iron skillet but you can see all the different brands. Cast iron is amazing! If you are not already cooking with one, you should! They are amazing and the food cooks so evenly.
- I used a mild salsa but you could use something spicier or chunkier if you prefer. You could also use different types of salsa for a new twist on this recipe. Lime Salsa is really good with this or if you like spicy try Ghost Pepper Salsa! These are great ways to give some variety to this dish.
- We used cheddar cheese but you could easily use a Mexican cheese blend or Colby and it would be just as tasty! Sometimes, we just use what’s in the fridge. You can’t go wrong with cheese!
Give this easy salsa chicken recipe!
This recipe is so yummy that you will never miss the bread! The salsa and cheese combine for the best Skillet Chicken Recipe. It has an amazing flavor and the cheese makes it just delicious!
Sometimes it can get boring eating Keto or low carb but not with this new recipe to try! You will love it! The spiciness from the salsa layered with the melted cheese is just SO very delicious!
The flavor is delicious. I think you will really love it! You can also try using boneless chicken thighs instead of the chicken breasts.
This recipe is frugal!
Is this recipe frugal?? YES! We get salsa on sale all the time.
In fact, the jar I used I got for less than $1. Our dinner to feed our family of six cost us less than $5. Wow!
Give this a try for an easy weeknight dinner that everyone will enjoy. It is so simple and easy but really amazing.
You will love saving time and money while serving your family delicious meals. Gather around the table and enjoy precious family time!
Print this Skillet Salsa chicken recipe:
This Easy Salsa Chicken Skillet Recipe is the best low carb recipe! The salsa and cheese make such a yummy Skillet Chicken Recipe for your keto diet. Salsa Chicken Keto Recipe is so easy!
- 4 Boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup Salsa
- 1 tsp Pepper
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Cheddar Cheese (shredded)
Filet your chicken breasts so they are thinner. I like to do this because your chicken ends up with more flavor and they cook faster.
In skillet, drizzle some oil and heat over med/high heat.
Place the chicken breasts in there and let them brown really well. About 3 minutes.
Flip them and allow them to brown again. Another 3 minutes.
Once they are brown, poor in the salsa and water. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat.
Cook for 10 minutes until the salsa has reduced and the chicken is cooked through.
Serve with shredded cheese on top.
This recipe is extremely frugal. Our dinner to feed our family of six cost us less than $5!