Homemade chocolate ice cream has only 4 ingredients and the results are rich and creamy. The flavor is amazing in this no churn chocolate ice cream.
Homemade chocolate ice cream
There is something so special about homemade ice cream. It is always so soft and creamy. The flavor is delicious. We just love it!
I actually don’t have an ice cream maker but we make ice cream all the time. How? We use no churn ice cream recipes. They are so easy and do not require any special supplies or ice cream machines.
The results are so delicious and it is so quick and easy to make. The hardest part is just waiting for it to freeze. If you are just starting to make your own ice cream, this recipe is a great one to start with.
You won’t find any complicated ingredients or hard to find items in this recipe. They are all simple and readily available at the grocery store. There aren’t any excuses to delay making this homemade ice cream!
Let’s get started.
How do you make chocolate ice cream from scratch?
Just combine 4 simple ingredients to create the ice cream mixture. The sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder and vanilla come together to make the cocoa mixture. You beat the whipping cream until it forms peaks and then it all gets blended with the cocoa mixture. Yum!
Freeze for at least 6 hours and you have delicious homemade ice cream! It is really that simple.
Keep reading for all of the details.
Ingredients for chocolate ice cream
- sweetened condensed milk
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- Vanilla Extract
- heavy whipping cream – cold
How to make homemade chocolate ice cream:
First, mix together the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder and vanilla extract. You will need a large bowl to do this.
Second, get out a separate bowl and add the heavy whipping cream. Mix this until stiff peaks start to form. This normally takes about 2 or 3 minutes. It isn’t long.
Next, add the whipped cream into the cocoa mixture. Stir this together until it is all blended together but do not overmix.
Finally, put the ice cream mixture in a shallow pan. I used a 9 inch loaf pan. Cover with plastic wrap or foil and freeze for at least 6 hours.
Serve and enjoy!
How long will this last:
You can keep this in your freezer up to 3 months. Just make sure to keep it covered properly.
- Cherries- This is delicious if you like black cherry ice cream. You can use 2 cups of frozen cherries in the mixture.
- Chocolate Chips- Make this ice cream Double Chocolate by adding a cup of chocolate chips.
- Peanut Butter- Swirl a ½ cup to 1 cup of peanut butter in the ice cream mixture to make Chocolate Peanut Butter ice cream.
- Candy- Reese’s cups and M&M’s are yummy blended into the mixture before freezing. I usually just toss a handful in.
Topping ideas for no churn chocolate ice cream:
- Dark Chocolate- I like to cut up a candy bar into pieces.
- mini marshmallows
- Hot fudge –Homemade Hot fudge is easy and so decadent.
- Caramel sauce (This homemade caramel sauce is the best.)
- Peanut Butter Ice Cream Topping Peanut butter fans love mixing this with chocolate ice cream.
- Whipped Cream (Homemade is so easy. We love this homemade whipped cream.)
- Mini kit-kats
- Mini Reese’s cups
- Sour gummy worms (a big kid favorite)
- Gummy bears
- Mini oreo cookies
- Mini chocolate chip cookies
- Sprinkles (Everyone loves sprinkles!)
- Maraschino cherries
- Mini Marshmallows
- Mini Brownie Bites – These are delicious crumbed up or you can make a hot fudge brownie sundae.
- walnuts in syrup or any nuts you prefer
Try this No churn chocolate ice cream recipe for a great treat.
Print this easy homemade chocolate ice cream recipe:
Chocolate Ice Cream Recipe
- 14 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 3 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream (cold)
- Mix together the sweetened condensed milk, cocoa powder and vanilla extract in a large bowl.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream into a separate bowl and mix with a stand up mixer or hand held mixer for 2-3 minutes until it holds stiff peaks.
- Gently stir the whipped cream into the cocoa mixture until well combined and be careful not to overtax.
- Then spread the mixture in a 9 in loaf pan. Cover with foil and freeze for at least 6 hours.
- Then scoop out with an ice cream scoop and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe