This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Follow these easy steps on How to Cut Asparagus. Asparagus is an easy side side that has many health benefits and is a delicious vegetable.
How to Cut Asparagus:
Asparagus is a tasty vegetable that we serve a lot because it is an easy side dish. But before cooking asparagus, you need to properly trim so that you get the best part of this tasty vegetable.
These simple step by step instructions will show you what you need and learn how to cut Asparagus. If the asparagus is not cut at the right part of the stem, you could be eating a tough part.
Some might think, just snapping the asparagus to remove the tough part is the best way. But we recommend using a knife to cut it. It is fast and you will be adding asparagus to recipes or enjoying as a easy side dish in no time.
What you Need:
How to Cut Asparagus:
- Gather Asparagus – Line the asparagus up on a cutting board. You may have to work in batches depending on how much asparagus you are cutting.
- Cut Asparagus – Use a large chef’s knife to slice off the bottom tough parts of the asparagus. Cut the asparagus where the green part of the asparagus turns to white. We call this tough and woody parts.
- Continue – Continue this process until all the asparagus stalks have been cut.
How Much to Cut off Asparagus:
When you are preparing your asparagus, gather a bundle of it together. Lay it on a cutting board. Right where the color turns from white to green, make a cut with a sharp knife. Trimmed asparagus spears are easy to store and easy to cook.
Continue cutting all the asparagus until all are cut and ready to cook.
How to Pick Asparagus:
When purchasing asparagus at the store should be firm and not limp. When choosing bunch of asparagus look for a bundle that is rich in green color and white asparagus at the bottom.
The tips of the asparagus should be tightly closed and compact and not starting sprout.
There are different size of asparagus – small, large and jumbo. As long as it is cooked properly then it doesn’t matter the size that you purchase.
How Long Does Asparagus Last:
Fresh asparagus last about 3 to 5 days. We recommend storing the asparagus after it has been trimmed in a glass of cold water. If you want more information about storing, we have all the tips and tricks here.
How to Use Asparagus in Recipes:
Asparagus is great as a side dish. You can air fry it, roast asparagus, grill it and even cook it in a skillet. We love to mix it in our stir fries or can easily be mixed in soups or casseroles.
As long as the asparagus is cooked properly, you can enjoy a tasty side dish many different ways.
Variation Seasoning for Asparagus:
- Season with Different Spices – Season with Italian Seasoning, smoked paprika, dried thyme, or lemon pepper. Grilled Asparagus is also great with some fresh herbs such as basil or dill.
- Add in other vegetables – Add in some sliced zucchini, red peppers, squash and red onions. The combination of these fresh ingredients turns out to be an amazing side dish.
- Squeeze Lemon – We love to squeeze lemon on Asparagus. Fresh lemon gives it so much flavor.
1. Oven Roasted Parmesan Asparagus:
Oven roasted parmesan asparagus is the perfect side dish that is ready in just minutes. It is so flavorful that even your kids will love it. Plus, we have the best tips and tricks to get the perfect asparagus that is not soggy.
2. Air Fryer Asparagus:
We love using the air fryer for easy side dishes. When I need something quick and have Asparagus, it is my go-to vegetable. It is easy, healthy and my family loves it.
3. Garlic Lime Steam Asparagus:
Whether is is cold or hot outside, you can make this delicious side dish because we cook it in the skillet. It literally takes minutes to make to enjoy delicious asparagus.
4. Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Recipe:
The bacon really gives the asparagus such a delicious flavor. We love adding the BBQ sauce as it gives it a extra flavor. Making this an easy side dish and a crowd pleaser.
Print Instructions here How to Cut Asparagus:
How to Cut Asparagus
- Line the asparagus up on a cutting board. You may have to work in batches depending on how much asparagus you are cutting.
- Use a large knife to slice off the bottom tough parts of the asparagus. Cut the asparagus where the green part of the asparagus turns to white.
- Continue this process until all the asparagus stalks have been cut.