This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Try Turkey Sweet Potato Chili for a new and delicious twist on the traditional chili recipe. The flavor is amazing in this healthy turkey chili recipe. Everyone will love it.
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is perfect to warm you up!
Once the weather gets cooler or rainy days, this Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is a must in our house. The black beans paired with the sweet potatoes make this chili so delicious.
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is cozy, comforting and just warms you up especially during fall and winter . We love this healthy twist on a classic chili. You can easily make this chili spicy or mild which gives it so much flavor.
The tender sweet potatoes, black beans and ground turkey make a delicious chili recipe that might just surprise you. If you are fans of traditional chili recipes, give this sweet potato and black bean chili a try. It is a new twist on chili.
Easy Turkey Chili Recipe:
This gluten free, dairy free sweet potato and chili recipe is really amazing. Even those with a big appetite will enjoy this recipe. Don’t let it fool you, this recipe is hearty, delicious and easy comfort food.
The ground turkey, black beans and sweet potatoes combined makes this recipe so flavorful. Your family will love it and you can easily feed a crowd with this meal. It is perfect for family dinner, gatherings and more.
Ingredients you need for Sweet Potato Chili:
- Ground Turkey
- Black Beans
- Minced Garlic
- Crushed Tomatoes
- Tomato Sauce
- Chicken Broth
- Chili Powder
- Sweet Potatoes
- Fresh Jalapeño (optional)
- Fresh Cilantro (to top – optional)
How to Make Turkey Sweet Potato Chili Recipe:
- Step 1 – In a large pot brown the ground turkey, breaking it up as you cook it.
- Step 2 – Once, the meat is browned, add in the onion and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Step 3 – Next, stir in the rotel, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, seasonings, and sweet potatoes.
- Step 4 – Cover and simmer over medium heat until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Step 5 – Serve with fresh jalapeños and fresh cilantro.
This is super easy! Keep reading for the full recipe.
Sweet Potato Chili Topping Ideas
The chili is amazing alone but we love a good topping bar around here. We like to load our chili with all sorts of yummy toppings and the kids enjoy it too.
- Shredded Cheese
- Sour Cream
- Hot Sauce
- Diced Jalapeno Peppers
- Saltine Crackers
- Corn Chips
- Tortilla Chips
What to Serve with Sweet Potato Turkey Chili:
under this- delete some of the cornbread lihnks and add a few links to biscuits, or rolls, or bread recipes
Here are a few delicious options that you can choose from.
- Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe – This cornbread recipe is super easy to make. We think it tastes much better than store bought cornbread and it will save you money. The perfect side to this tasty chili.
- Sweet Honey Cornbread Recipe – This sweet honey cornbread is moist and tender and comes out perfectly. The cornbread recipe comes out with the golden brown crusty edges.
- Corn Bread Muffins – Making cornbread muffins from scratch only takes a few minutes but the difference is amazing. Our family loved this cornbread recipe.
- Homemade Biscuits – These biscuits are delicious and made with simple ingredients. Make homemade biscuits from scratch make the best side to this delicious chili.
- Crackers and Cheese – Add your favorite slice cheese and crackers for a delicious side to this chili.
- Frito Chili Wrap – Add some fritos and top it with chili and wrap it in a tortilla.
Tips for Turkey Sweet Potato Chili:
- Ground Turkey – Cook turkey in the skillet before adding in the other ingredients.
- Adding in broth – Add the broth in small batches. If you prefer a thinner broth, you can always add in more towards the end of cooking time.
- Spicy – If you prefer to have your chili to be a bit more spicier, you can easily add in additional ingredients. We recommend Cayenne Pepper or slice jalapenos. A side of hot sauce is also an option.
- Make Ahead – Leftover chili is my favorite way to eat chili. We like to make ahead and then place in the refrigerator after it cools. The ingredients really marinate together to get the best chili flavor.
- Slow Cooker – You can easily make this chili in the slow cooker. Cook on low for 6 to 8 hours for an amazing chili to come home too. Also make in your instant pot.
- Change the Meat – Substitute ground beef for the ground turkey. You can also do have turkey and half ground beef.
- Squash – Use butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes or a combination of both. We love the flavor squash gives it.
- Adding Liquid – If you prefer the chili not as thick, add more diced tomatoes with juice. Add liquid in ½ cup intervals until you get the desired consistency.
- Add more Vegetables – Bell peppers add even more flavor and give a pop of color.
- Extra Spicy – Cayenne pepper adds extra heat if you prefer spicy.
- Onions and Garlic – Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for extra flavor with the chili powder cumin and other spices.
- Beans – We used black beans, but you can use any type of bean. Kidney Beans, Red beans, white beans or even pinto beans will work with this recipe.
- No Beans – You can easily make this chili with no beans. It still will be delicious and hearty.
- Make Ahead – We like to plan our meals for the week on Sunday. If I know I am going to make meals with ground beef, I like to make a big batch. This way I can easily add it to a recipe.
You can’t go wrong with this easy sweet potato chili recipe. It is the perfect gluten free and delicious meal the entire family will love.
How to Store Leftovers:
If you have leftovers, place in an air tight container and place in the refrigerator. This chili will stay fresh for up to 5 days. We like to place in individual containers for an easy lunch the next day.
How to Freeze and Reheat:
Once the chili has cooled to room temperature, place in a freezer safe container. If stored properly the chili will stay good for up to 3 months.
Allow chili to thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Place the chili in a large pot over medium heat or dutch oven and reheat on the stove top. Stirring occasionally until chili is heated thoroughly.
Print Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Chili Recipe below:
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 pound ground turkey
- 1 can black beans (drained and rinsed)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilis (10 oz Rotel)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes (15 oz)
- 2 can tomato sauce (8 oz)
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 medium sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh jalapeño seeded and diced (optional)
- fresh cilantro (for garnish)
- In a large pot or dutch oven brown the ground turkey, breaking it up.
- When the ground turkey is browned, add in the onion and cook for about 2 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Stir in the black beans, diced tomatoes with green chilies, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, seasonings, and sweet potatoes.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Then reduce the heat down to low. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Serve topped with fresh jalapeños and cilantro. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other Easy Chili Recipes:
- Crock Pot Chili Mac Recipe
- Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie Recipe
- Vegetable and Beef Chili Recipe
- Easy Keto Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Chipotle Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Taco Chili