Try Turkey Sweet Potato Chili for a new and delicious twist on the traditional chili recipe. The flavor is amazing in this healthy turkey chili recipe. Everyone will love it!
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is perfect to warm you up!
Once the weather gets cooler or we have some rainy days, this Turkey Sweet Potato Chili is a must in our house. The black beans paired with the sweet potatoes make this chili so delicious.
We make this on the stove top in just minutes and the entire house smells amazing. You are going to love it!
If you love traditional chili recipes like this Easy Crock Pot Chili Recipe, give this sweet potato and black bean chili a try for a new and tasty twist on chili.
The flavor really is delicious and the best comfort food. This recipe is a must try!
You can easily double or even triple this recipe to feed a large crowd. It is so tasty and a great idea to serve if you are hosting a gathering.
Ingredients you need for sweet potato chili:
- ground turkey
- black beans
- minced garlic
- crushed tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chicken broth
- chili powder
- bay leaf
- sweet potatoes
- fresh jalapeno (optional)
- fresh cilantro (to top – optional)
How to make turkey sweet potato chili recipe:
In a large pot brown the ground turkey, breaking it up as you cook it.
Once, the meat is browned, add in the onion and cook for about 2 minutes.
Next, stir in the rotel, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, seasonings, and sweet potatoes.
Cover and simmer over medium heat until sweet potatoes are soft.
Remove the bay leaf and serve with fresh jalapenos and fresh cilantro.
This is super easy! Keep reading for the full recipe.
What to serve with turkey sweet potato chili?
The chili is amazing alone but we love a good topping bar around here. We like to load our chili with all sorts of yummy toppings and the kids enjoy it too.
- shredded cheese
- sour cream
- hot sauce
- diced jalapeno peppers
- saltine crackers
- corn chips
- tortilla chips
Cornbread is a must with this sweet potato chili recipe!
Here are a few delicious options that you can choose from.
- Easy Homemade Cornbread Recipe
- Sweet Honey Cornbread Recipe
- Corn Bread Muffins
- Cheddar Jalapeño Cornbread Recipe
- Gluten Free Jalapeño Cheddar Cornbread Recipe
Did you know that I also make my own homemade cornbread mix to make preparing cornbread even easier? I love having these cornbread mixes on hand so I can whip up some delicious cornbread in no time at all!
It is so yummy to crumble up the cornbread and mix it into the chili. It is a must try!
Tips for the best sweet potato chili:
Another time saving tip is to use a small food chopper or food processor to quickly and easily chop onions.
If you do not have one of these, I highly recommend them. They are such a time saver and you make cooking so fast and easy.
I usually just chop the entire vegetable and freeze what I don’t need. It’s so nice to be able to just take the diced onion out of the freezer for recipes.
This is how I meal prep. It’s so quick and easy and helps get dinner on the table fast.
Learn and how to freeze onions and also how to freeze peppers to save so much time in the kitchen! Lots of the recipes we cook call for onions and peppers so this is such a great time tip that we use frequently.
You will love having peppers and onions all ready to go! It is quick and easy.
This healthy turkey chili is budget friendly.
Ground turkey is less expensive and so tasty in this amazing recipe. Easy recipes like this keep my family happy and my grocery budget in good shape. This is how I keep our grocery budget reasonable.
I cut our grocery bill by 50% off by following these 8 Tips for for Saving Money on Groceries by Menu Planning! Save that money for something else!
This recipe is easy to modify for what you have on hand and this really helps your budget. By cooking like this, it really helps me to save money on groceries. It is a huge help to our budget.
You can easily add or omit ingredients in this chili recipe for what you have on hand or can get on sale. This is a great recipe to add to your meal plan!
We have even added diced tomatoes or rotel to the recipe and it was yummy. You can’t go wrong with this! Try the instant pot if you are short on time or the crock pot if you will be gone all day.
Our entire family enjoys this meal and that includes some picky eaters. The black beans and sweet potatoes really make this hearty and filling. They all blend so well with the ground turkey.
Your family will love it and you can easily feed a crowd with this meal. It is perfect for family dinner, gatherings and more!
We also love to make Crock Pot Sweet Potato Black Bean Chili Recipe. So good!
More delicious ideas for turkey sweet potato skillet:
- Substitute ground beef for the ground turkey.
- Use butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes or a combination of both. Yum!
- If you prefer the chili not as thick, add more diced tomatoes with juice. Add liquid in ½ cup intervals until you get the desired consistency.
- Bell peppers add even more flavor and give a pop of color.
- Cayenne pepper adds extra heat if you prefer spicy.
- Saute onions and garlic in olive oil for extra flavor with the chili powder cumin and other spices.
You can’t go wrong with this easy sweet potato chili recipe. It is the perfect gluten free and delicious meal the entire family will love.
Chili Recipes are definitely a family favorite for Fall and Winter!
I love making chili in the colder months. I hope you try this recipe soon! It is so tasty.
If you are following a low carb diet, I recommend our Keto Chili Recipe which is a great quick chili recipe no beans. Also, chili is perfect for hot dogs and the kids love it! Check out our quick chili recipe for hot dogs recipe.
Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili is the perfect recipe to enjoy any day of the week. It is the best vegetarian chili that the entire family will love.
From Game Day to family dinner, Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie Recipe is versatile and delicious for another great recipe!
Try Oven baked kale chips recipe for a crispy snack even the kids will enjoy.
Print this easy ground turkey sweet potato chili recipe below:
Turkey Sweet Potato Chili
- 2 pound ground turkey
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 can rotel 10 oz
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 15 oz
- 2 cans 8 oz tomato sauce
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 medium sweet potatoes peeled and diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 fresh jalapeno seeded and diced (optional)
- fresh cilantro to top – optional
- In a large pot brown the ground turkey, breaking it up.
- When meat is browned, add in the onion and cook for about 2 minutes.
- Stir in the rotel, crushed tomatoes, tomato sauce, chicken broth, seasonings, and sweet potatoes.
- Cover and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes or until sweet potatoes are soft.
- Remove the bay leaf and serve with fresh jalapenos and fresh cilantro.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Try these other easy chili recipes:
- Crock Pot Vegetarian Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Chili Mac Recipe
- One Pot Tex-Mex Chicken Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Frito Chili Pie Recipe
- Vegetable and Beef Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Vegetable and Beef Chili Recipe
- Easy Keto Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Chipotle Chili Recipe
- White Chicken Chili Recipe
- Crock Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Recipe
- Crock Pot Taco Chili