This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
The Air Fryer makes this salmon crispy on the outside but still juicy on the inside. This Air Fryer Salmon Recipe cooks in the air fryer in only 7 minutes and only requires a few ingredients. It has quickly become my favorite way to cook salmon.
Easy Air Fryer Salmon Recipe:
Have you tried using an air fryer yet? I was hesitate to try it as I thought surely it can’t be as good as a traditional fryer but I think it might be even better. Now I love cooking in the air fryer. We have even made air fryer chicken.
Essentially, the air fryer moves air quickly over food similar to broiling it in an oven that it gives the food a similar tastes to food that has been fried in oil. Cooking Salmon in the Air Fryer is a quick and delicious to cook your salmon.
This gluten free, low carb, low calorie fish cooks up tender, succulent and delicious when cooked in the air fryer. Add an side of vegetables and rice and you can have dinner on the table in less than 20 minutes.
Can you Cook Fish in an Air Fryer?
When I first got my air fryer, I thought that I could only cook food in it that had a breading on it like normal fried food but that’s just not true.
Anything that can be cooked in the oven can generally be cooked in the air fryer and a breading is not required. Cooking in the air fryer is quick and easy. Even my kids can use it without any problems.
I love cooking fish in the air fryer as it gives the fish a nice crispy texture on the outside of the fish and it still tastes moist and juicy on the inside. This is now my preferred way to prepare fish.
Ingredients for Air Fryer Salmon
Like I mentioned before, you only need a few ingredients for this salmon in the air fryer recipe and I bet you already have most of them in your pantry.
- Salmon Filets, (skin on or skin off)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
Not much is needed to create this delicious salmon recipe for hot air fryer. The air fryer will do all the work and you’ll be left with moist and amazing salmon to enjoy.
How to Cook Salmon in Air Fryer:
- Prepare your Air Fryer – Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. If your air fryer does not have a preheat option, then run the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Oil the Salmon – Rub each salmon filet with the olive oil and lemon juice.
- Season the Salmon – Mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika together in a small bowl and season the salmon with this seasoning mixture.
- Cook until Flakey – Place the salmon in the air fryer and cook for 7-9 minutes at 400 degrees F until the salmon is cooked through and flakey. It will depend on the thickness.
- Continue cooking until done – If the salmon is not done, cook in 1-2 minute increments until cooked to your preference. You may have to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Squeeze and Serve – Squeeze the lemon juice on the salmon when serving and enjoy!
Can you put Foil in the Air Fryer?
The general rule for the air fryer is that if something is oven safe, it’s air fryer safe as well.
You CAN put foil in the air fryer. However, I recommend not covering up the complete bottom of the air fryer basket.
The holes in the bottom of the basket help the air move freely around the food in the basket so you don’t want to cover them all up or it will reduce the effectiveness of this cooking process.
Can you stack Food in the Air Fryer?
I do stack fries and vegetables when I cook in the air fryer. However, when I cook these, I mix them throughout the cooking time (by shaking the basket) so different parts are exposed while it’s cooking.
Remember, the air fryer works by moving air quickly over the food so in order for it to work correctly, you’ll want to keep as much part of the food exposed to the air as possible.
For this air fryer salmon recipe, I do not recommend stacking as you will want all of the outside of the salmon exposed to the hot air that moves through the air fryer.
How to Cook Frozen Salmon in the Air Fryer:
You can make air fryer fresh or frozen salmon fillets by putting the frozen salmon filets directly in the air fryer basket.
I recommend doubling the minutes of cooking time if you are cooking the salmon from frozen as it would need the additional time to defrost in the air fryer as well.
After the cooking time, if the salmon is not cooked perfectly, continue to cook in the air fryer in 2 minute increments until the fish flakes with a fork.
Seasoning Variation ideas
Once you master this recipe, you can change it up slightly for different variations of this air fryer salmon recipe.
- Season with Garlic Butter – You can create a garlic butter salmon air fry recipe by seasoning the salmon filets with butter and minced garlic instead of the olive oil and garlic salt.
- Asian Seasoning – Also, you can give it a more Asian flair by drizzling the salmon with a soy sauce and honey mixtures.
- Cajun Seasoning – A little Cajun Seasoning really adds so much flavor to the Salmon.
- Lemon Pepper Seasoning – Lemon pepper seasoning is one of my favorites to add to salmon. I like to squeeze fresh lime when the salmon is cooked.
- Steak Seasoning – You can even use a simple steak seasoning. Most of the steak seasoning blends indicates that it works great on fish.
What to serve air fryer salmon
- Serve with Rice – I enjoy serving this fryer salmon recipe with cilantro lime rice or brown rice made in my instant pot. It is even delicious with white rice. Use what you have.
- Fresh Vegetables – Also, this goes great with your favorite vegetable side dish. I love serving this with my easy microwave broccoli recipe for our busy weeknights.
- Salmon Side Dish – If you are looking for some easy side dish to serve with Salmon , check out Best Salmon Side Dishes.
Dinner can easily get on the table in no time at all with this salmon recipe and this quick broccoli recipe.
How to Store and Reheat:
Store leftover salmon in an air tight container for up to 3 days in the refrigerator. To reheat, we simply place the salmon back in the air fryer to reheat. We do not recommend reheating in the microwave.
Print this Air Fryer Salmon recipe below:
Air Fryer Salmon Recipe
- Preheat your air fryer to 400 degrees F. If your air fryer does not have a preheat option, then run the air fryer at 400 degrees F for 10 minutes.
- Rub each salmon filet with the olive oil.
- Mix the salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika together in a small bowl and season the salmon with this seasoning mixture.
- Place the salmon in the air fryer and cook for 7-9 minutes at 400 degrees F until the salmon is cooked through and flakey. If the salmon is not done, cook in 1-2 minute increments until cooked to your preference. You may have to cook in batches depending on the size of your air fryer.
- Squeeze the lemon juice on the salmon when serving and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe