This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Save time and oven space and make Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole. This classic side dish will be made quick and easy in the Instant Pot.
Instant Pot Fresh Green Bean Casserole Recipe:
Green Bean Casserole is a classic side dish that we make every year. The layers of cream of mushroom soup, the green beans and the French Onions make this side so delicious.
Making this Green Bean Casserole in the Instant Pot has saved me time and oven space. I no longer have to bake everything, thanks to the Instant Pot. The Pressure Cooker has been a game changer for my family and now I can use it for our favorite side dish.
Baking this side dish usually takes about 30 minutes, but making it in the Instant Pot takes less than 15 minutes. The flavor is amazing and you still get that crispy topping that everyone loves.
Can I use Canned Green Beans?
You can also use canned green beans in this recipe if you prefer. If you use canned, use approximately 3 cans, drain them and you do not need to pre-cook them before stirring them into the mixture.
They will cook on the sauté setting with the cream of mushroom soup mixture. You will follow the recipe as indicated. We prefer fresh or frozen green beans. But canned green beans will still make a delicious casserole.
- Frozen Green Beans, or fresh (trimmed)
- Cream of Mushroom Soup (10 oz each)
- French Fried Onions (6 oz)
How to Make Green Bean Casserole in the Instant Pot:
- Pressure Cook Green Beans – Place the ½ cup of water in the bottom of a 6 quart instant pot. Then add the fresh green beans. Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after the cooking time.
- Mix together other ingredients – In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper.
- Add in cream of mushroom mixture – After the green beans have cooked, switch the instant pot to the sauté setting with the lid off and stir in the cream of mushroom mixture.
- Heat ingredients – Heat on the sauté setting for 3-4 minutes to heat the mixture through and combine the ingredients. Then stir in half of the French fried onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Top with Remaining Fried Onion – Turn the instant pot off and let the mixture sit for 3-5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and then top the casserole with the remaining French fried onion right before serving.
- Serve and Enjoy – Serve and enjoy you favorite side dish.
What Size of Instant Pot do you need for this Recipe?
We used a 6 quart Instant Pot for this recipe. We love how consist the cooking time is when making a meal in the instant pot. If you have a larger batch that you are making you may need a bigger instant pot.
Green Bean Casserole Tips:
- Bake after cooking in the Instant Pot – If you want the top toasted for an added crunch on this casserole, transfer it to a baking dish. Then top with the French fried onions and broil OR bake at 450 degrees F for 3-5 minutes until the top is browned slightly.
- Transporting Green Bean Casserole – Since you are making this in the instant pot, I would transfer the cooked ingredients to a casserole dish. Then top with the remaining french fried onions right before serving so they stay crispy.
- Green Beans – We recommend using fresh or frozen green beans. But if you use canned, you can skip the initial step of cooking the green beans.
- Cheese – You can add in shredded cheddar cheese if you prefer. Mix a combination of parmesan, mozzarella, cheddar with the other ingredients. This combination makes extra cheesy.
- Mushrooms – We used cream of mushroom soup, but you easily use fresh mushrooms that have been sauteed a bit.
- Cream Soup – Instead of using cream of mushroom soup, you can use cream of chicken or cream of celery. Use what you prefer and what you have.
- Crushed Crackers – You can add a layer of crushed crackers for an extra crunch to the casserole. Use crushed crackers instead of the french fried onions for that crunchy layer on top.
- Fresh Onion – For added flavor, you can always add in some fresh onion.
- Slow Cooker – You can also make this casserole dish in the slow cooker. We like making it in the slow cooker to save space for the oven.
- Chicken Broth – Instead of using water to pour into the instant pot, using chicken broth.
What to Serve with Green Bean Casserole?
If you looking for some easy recipes to serve with your Green Bean Casserole, here are some of our favorites.
- 5 Ingredient Corn Casserole – You only need 5 ingredients and this casserole comes together with very little effort. The casserole is sweet and delicious.
- Crock Pot Broccoli Cheese Casserole – Slow Cooker Cheese Broccoli Casserole is a family favorite side dish. It is loaded with broccoli, cheese and easy seasoning.
- Sweet Potato and Apple Casserole – Everyone loves sweet potato casserole. Combining apple and mashed sweet potatoes in this Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe will quickly become a family favorite.
How to Store Leftovers:
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days.
What is a Healthy Substitute for Cream Soup?
We like to use canned cream of mushroom soup for the convenience of it. But you can make your own with simple ingredients.
Making homemade cream of soups for your recipes saves time and money. We also like to make them so we know the ingredients we are adding to our recipes. You can also make them gluten free.
Can you Freeze Green Bean Casserole?
Yes, you can freeze green bean casserole. Once it has cooled to room temperature, place in a freeze safe container. Wrap the casserole in a plastic wrap and then with foil.
Place in the freezer and if stored properly, it will last up to 6 months. When you are ready to serve, let the green bean casserole thaw overnight in the refrigerator. Then place in a baking dish and reheat in a preheated oven at 350 degrees.
Print Recipe here for Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole:
Instant Pot Green Bean Casserole
- Place the water in the bottom of a 6 quart instant pot. Then add the fresh green beans.
- Cook on high pressure for 2 minutes and do a quick release to release the pressure from the instant pot after the cooking time.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together the milk, cream of mushroom soup, salt and pepper.
- After the green beans have cooked, switch the instant pot to the sauté setting with the lid off and stir in the cream of mushroom mixture. Heat on the sauté setting for 3-4 minutes to heat the mixture through and combine the ingredients. Then stir in half of the French fried onions and cook for 1 minute.
- Turn the instant pot off and let the mixture sit for 3-5 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken and then top the casserole with the remaining French fried onion right before serving.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More Instant Pot Recipes:
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast Recipe
- Instant Pot Spiral Ham Recipe
- Instant Pot Candied Yams
- Pressure Cooker Mashed Sweet Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Recipe
- Instant Pot Chicken and Stuffing Casserole Recipe