This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
The Best Chicken Marinade for Grilling and baking is so easy to make but will result in the most flavorful chicken. This easy marinade comes together fast with pantry ingredients.
This is the best grilled chicken marinade for many cuts of meat. It taste amazing and allowing the chicken marinade for at least 30 minutes will turn bland chicken into an amazing dish.
Another delicious marinade that is a must try is this Greek Chicken Marinade Recipe.
Table of Contents
- Why do you use a Marinade?
- Chicken Marinade Ingredients
- Variations Ideas
- How to Make Best Chicken Marinade for Grilling
- How to Grill
- How to Bake
- Tips and Tricks
- Serving Suggestions
- What Kind of Chicken Can I Use?
- What Temperature does Chicken Need to Cook to?
- How to Use Leftover Grilled Chicken
- Frequently Asked Questions
- More Marinade Recipes
- Best Chicken Marinade for Grilling Recipe
Why do you use a Marinade?
It really enhances the flavor of the meat. It also helps to tenderize the meat while making each bite juicy.
The perfect marinade has several components to it. These include 3 components that will make your marinade amazing.
- Acidic. Vinegar, citrus or wine.
- Oil. Olive oil and sesame oil are commonly used.
- Flavoring agent. Herbs and spices.
Once combined, these 3 components come together for the perfect flavor combination. You can experiment and try new ingredients from each category to get more flavor options.
Each of these components come together to achieve different results. The acid helps to break down the protein. This helps the chicken absorb all of the flavor.
The oil helps to prevent dryness in your meat as it soaks into the chicken. Lastly, the flavoring again or seasonings, add all of that delicious flavor.
As you can see, each component is important. Together they work together to form the perfect marinade and ultimately the best chicken.
Chicken Marinade Ingredients
- Chicken Breasts, (approximately 4-5 breasts)
- Salt and pepper
- Garlic Powder
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Lemon, Juiced
Scroll to the bottom for the full list of ingredients and the recipe.
- Substitute balsamic vinegar instead of lemon juice.
- Lime juice can be used instead of lemon juice.
- Soy Sauce is another delicious flavor to try adding to marinade.
- Brown Sugar adds a hint of sweetness to marinade.
- You can even add in fresh herbs or change the seasoning.
How to Make Best Chicken Marinade for Grilling
- Combine the ingredients. Stir together all of the ingredients except for the chicken breasts in a bowl.
- Get out a plastic bag or bowl. Place the chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag or a bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to marinate. It needs to for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
How to Grill
- Preheat the grill. Then preheat the grill to 350 degrees or medium high heat. Gently brush the grates of the grill with the oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes per side until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Then remove the chicken from the grill. Let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. The chicken is ready to slice and enjoy.
How to Bake
- Preheat the oven. The oven needs to be set to 400 degrees.
- Place the chicken in a baking dish. We used a 9×13 pan.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cook the chicken until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees.
Tips and Tricks
- Marinating Chicken – The longer the meat can stay in the marinade, the better. It will enhance the flavor even more.
- Cooking Chicken – Don’t overcook the chicken. It will become dry and tough. Use a meat thermometer to make sure you know when it is fully cooked.
- Double the recipe – This is an easy way to meal prep and does not require any extra work since you have all of the ingredients out. You can have some for dinner tonight and some in the freezer for another easy meal.
- Try other cuts of chicken – The marinade is amazing with thighs and more. Just remember to adjust the cooking time accordingly for other types of meat.
- Rest Chicken – Give the chicken sufficient time to rest before serving and cutting. This helps to lock in flavor and keep the natural juices inside. Your chicken will stay moist and juicy when given ample time to rest.
- Toss Used Marinade – Don’t reuse marinade that has been in contact with raw meat. If you plan to use some to baste the chicken with, reserve some before placing the chicken in it.
- Frozen Chicken You can use frozen chicken in this recipe. I prefer to allow the chicken to thaw in the marinade to soak in flavor as it thaws.
- Easy Grilled Green Beans – This is so easy and really flavorful on the grill.
- Grilled Peaches – The flavor of peaches on the grill is the best.
- Parmesan Grilled Corn on the Cob – The butter and seasonings combine for the best corn on the cob recipe.
These are just a few of side dishes that we love with grilled chicken.
What Kind of Chicken Can I Use?
- Chicken Breasts
- Chicken Thighs
- Chicken Drumsticks
- Chicken Wings
- Bone-In Chicken
Any of these would be delicious options with this marinade recipe. Actually, this marinade isn’t just good on chicken. You can use it on pork chops, pork tenderloin and more.
What Temperature does Chicken Need to Cook to?
The internal temperature of chicken recipes needs to be at 165 degrees to safely eat. We use an instant read meat thermometer that is so easy to use.
It is one of my favorite kitchen gadgets. I never have to worry if the meat is fully cooked. We use our thermometer practically daily.
Make sure to insert the temperature into the thickest part of the meat to ensure accuracy.
How to Use Leftover Grilled Chicken
- Cut up leftover chicken and serve over cilantro lime rice for another meal or quick lunches during the week.
- Shred the chicken and mix with a pasta salad recipe.
- Make Chicken Fajitas. Shred the chicken and add your favorite toppings.
- Cut into strips and serve with honey mustard, ranch or BBQ sauce for dipping.
- See Leftover Grilled Chicken Recipes for more ideas
Frequently Asked Questions
Place leftover chicken inside an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will keep 4 to 5 days. When ready to eat, simply reheat. Place inside a microwave safe dish and heat in intervals until warmed through. I typically start with 30 to 40 second intervals.
Be careful that you do not heat the chicken for too long or you risk drying it out.
You can also use the oven to reheat the chicken. Place inside an oven safe baking dish and cover with foil. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until heated through.
Yes, this freezes perfectly. This is one of my favorite ways to meal prep.
The chicken can be frozen directly in the freezer bag with the marinade. Press the air out of the bag so it can lay flat and freeze chicken. This will save precious space in your freezer and allow you to stack several bags easily.
When ready to grill, thaw the meat and discard excess liquid. Cook as normal.
For the best flavor, it needs to marinate at least 30 minutes. However, it can be marinated overnight for even more flavor.
More Marinade Recipes
- Best bbq chicken marinade recipe
- Taco Chicken Marinade
- Balsamic Chicken Marinade
- Grilled Lemon Pepper Chicken
- Easy Italian Chicken Marinade
- Buttermilk Chicken Marinade
We use this Best Chicken Marinade for Grilling as a delicious way to add flavor. If you try, please leave us a comment. We love hearing from you.
Best Chicken Marinade for Grilling
- Stir together all the ingredients except for the chicken breasts in a bowl.
- Place the chicken breasts in a large ziplock bag or a bowl. Pour the marinade over the chicken.
- Allow the chicken to marinate for at least 30 minutes or overnight.
- Then preheat the grill to 350 degrees F. Gently brush the grates of the grill with the oil to prevent the chicken from sticking.
- Place the chicken on the grill. Cook for 5-7 minutes per size until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
- Then remove the chicken from the grill, let the chicken rest for 5 minutes. Then it’s ready to slice and enjoy.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe