Today I wanted to show you how we make this fun BBQ chicken quesadilla recipe using leftovers. It is so delicious and super easy for busy week days. Enjoy for lunch or dinner.
BBQ chicken quesadilla recipe
This recipe is one of our favorites and we enjoy it for school lunch, easy summer meals or any time of year. It is so good that we love to eat it all the time! I can’t wait for you to try it.
If you need an easy recipe, try making these BBQ chicken quesadillas. The kids are going to love it!
No one will even realize they they are eating leftovers. I love when I can cook once and eat twice.
The kids ask for this all the time in their lunch box and it is a nice change from sandwiches all the time.
- Cooked Chicken
- Barbecue Sauce – Use your favorite kind or try this easy homemade BBQ Sauce.
- Large Flour Tortillas – Burrito Size
- Monterey Jack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Green Onions
How to make bbq chicken quesadillas:
First, cut the chicken into small pieces. You can dice or shred it.
Second, add the bbq sauce and combine it with the chicken. Stir this together and set aside.
Next, get your skillet ready and spray with cooking spray. I actually like to use a griddle so I can do several at once. If you have a big family like I do, this is so handy and goes much faster.
Put one of the flour tortillas down and add the chicken mixture, chopped green onion and both types of shredded cheese on one side. Fold the tortilla over so that it makes a half moon shape.
Finally, cook the quesadillas for a few minutes on each side until the tortillas are slightly browned and the cheese is melted. Keep repeating the process until you have made all the quesadillas.
Let them cool and slice. Enjoy!
What type of chicken to use
- leftover Rotisserie chicken- shred and use for this easy recipe.
- BBQ Chicken – Cook this one night for dinner and use leftovers for quesadillas the next day. Since this chicken already has BBQ sauce, you can omit that in the recipe unless you just want extra or need some for dipping.
- BBQ Ranch Grilled Chicken – Try using this for ranch flavor. yum!
Filling Variation ideas
- Cheese- Any cheese will work. Pepper jack cheese and Colby make good substitutes.
- Beans- Black beans or even pinto beans taste amazing.
- Veggies – Corn, red onion, bell pepper, etc make great add ins.
- Rice- We keep rice in the freezer and it is so handy to add to recipes like this. It is also a great way to stretch the meat.
- pico de gallo – top the chicken with this. Yum!
- sour cream- I like to put a little bit of sour cream all over the chicken mixture.
- Spanish Rice
- Cilantro Lime Rice
- Refried beans in the crockpot
- Corn Salsa or Black bean corn salsa and tortilla chips
Easy Lunchbox idea for kids:
This is so easy to pack for school lunches. Try these tips:
1 Easy lunchbox containers– we love these bento style boxes
2. BBQ sauce for dipping (optional) – I just bought these mini dippers because they fit better in the lunchbox. If your children don’t need extra sauce for dipping, just omit this step.
2. Add Fresh fruit for an easy side – we did watermelon but any kind will do. Grapes are also a favorite around here.
3. A side – we did Gold Fish Crackers, but you could do chips, more fruit, carrots, or pretzels or even yogurt!
Print the recipe for The Best bbq chicken quesadillas:
BBQ Chicken Quesadillas
- 2 cups Cooked Chicken
- 1 cup Barbecue Sauce
- 6 Large Flour Tortillas Burrito Size
- 2 cups Monterey Jack Cheese shredded
- 2 cups Cheddar Cheese shredded
- 1/4 cup Green Onions diced
- Dice the chicken into smaller pieces. Stir together the chicken and the barbecue sauce into the chicken is thoroughly coated with the sauce.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle over medium high heat. Place down one flour tortilla. Place the chicken mixture, green onions and each of the two types of cheese on one side of the flour tortilla. Fold the tortilla over to make a half moon shape.
- Cook for 2-4 minutes on each side until the tortillas are browned slightly. Continue doing this process until all of the quesadillas are made.
- Let the quesadillas cool for 5 minutes, then slice and serve. Enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe