This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Grilled salmon in foil takes about 20 minutes for a flavor packed meal. The salmon is tender and perfectly seasoned.
Salmon is one of my favorite things seafood recipes to eat and this grilled recipe does not disappoint. There isn’t any cleanup thinks to the foil and it turns out perfectly.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
Dinner is so fast and easy that you won’t even be tempted to get take out. I think you are going to love this fantastic recipe. The simple ingredients makes recipe always on the menu.
We love to use this flaky salmon with many different recipes. We have even made a pasta salad for a light and refreshing meal idea.
- Salmon Filets (skin on or skin off)
- Bunch of Fresh Dill
- Lemon, sliced
- Butter, melted
- Minced Garlic
- Salt and Black Pepper
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
Feel free to try other seasonings instead of lemon and herbs. It is so easy to modify this recipe to try new things.
- Lime Juice and Cilantro. Substitute this for lemon and dill for a delicious change in flavor.
- Brown Sugar and butter. Melt ½ cup butter and combine with ½ cup brown sugar. Brush this mixture on the salmon and grill as normal.
- Lemon Pepper. Coat the fish in olive oil and sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on top.
- BBQ Salmon – You can easily add BBQ sauce to the salmon for added flavor.
- Salmon Marinade – Make a marinade with simple spices and add in honey and mustard for a sweet and savory flavor.
- Fresh Herbs – Feel free to change or add fresh herbs or additional spices for a delicious variation. Add ¼ teaspoon of garlic powder, oregano or cumin for amazing taste.
- Vegetables – You can even add vegetables to the foil pack for a complete meal idea. Broccoli, asparagus, green beans are always a great option.
Step by Step Instructions
- Step 1 – Prepare the salmon. Let your salmon sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes on a baking sheet. Preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F).
- Step 2 – Spray the foil with cooking spray. Get a large piece of foil and spray the foil with a non-stick cooking spray. You can also use olive oil.
- Step 3 – Place Salmon – Place half of the dill in lemon slices on the bottom of the foil and place the salmon filets on top with tongs. Make sure to put the salmon skin side down if using fillets with skin.
- Step 4 – Add the seasonings. Then drizzle the melted butter on top of the salmon fillet and top with more lemon slices and fresh dill. Then season the top of the filets with the minced garlic, salt and pepper. The garlic butter is so delicious with this this grilled salmon recipe.
- Step 5 – Enclose the salmon. Wrap the piece of foil around the salmon filets and seal it. Make sure it’s fully enclosed.
- Step 6 – Grill the salmon. Place the foil packet directly on the grill grates. Cover the grill and cook for 14 to 18 minutes.
- Step 7 – Unwrap the salmon. Then carefully unwrap the salmon on the grill so the top of the salmon is exposed. Cover the grill again and cook for 3-5 minutes until the top of the color is a darker pink color. Make sure that the salmon has a safe internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Step 8 – Remove from the grill. Carefully remove the foil packet from the grill and then the salmon is ready to serve and enjoy! Let it rest a couple of minutes and then serve right away.
- When the salmon cooks in the foil packet, it remains a light pink color so this is why we unwrap the foil packet. It allows it to cook with the salmon exposed.
- The salmon is best served immediately as leftover salmon dries out.
- Grilling fish takes very little time so be careful that you do not over cook the salmon.
- You can make this recipe dairy free by using olive oil instead of butter.
- Use a baking sheet to carry the foil packets to the grill. This will prevent any spills. Then when you take it off the grill, place the foil packets on that and carry inside.
- Easy Grilled Broccoli – The texture of broccoli once grilled is so delicious. This is a must try with grilled salmon.
- Parmesan Grilled Zucchini – With a few simple ingredients, this come together fast.
- Foil Pack Grilled Potatoes – Clean up is so easy with these foil pack potatoes.
- Grilled Corn on the Cob– The flavor of the grill makes corn on the cob even better.
Any of these would make a wonderful side dish to serve with grilled salmon. You will love having everything for a great meal on the grill. We have even added brown rice or quinoa for delicious complete meal idea.
This will keep the kitchen cool and cleanup a breeze. Dinner is so easy with these simple side dishes to complete the meal.
How long does it take to Grill Salmon
It takes about 20 minutes. I used an instant read meat thermometer to make sure that the salmon was cooked to a safe internal temperature.
It should have an internal temperature of 145 degrees. You will need to insert the thermometer into the thickest part of the salmon to ensure accuracy.
Salmon easily flakes when it is fully cooked and turns a pinkish color.
Ways to Leftover Salmon
- Salad. Grilled salmon leftovers is delicious served with a salad for a quick lunch.
- Tacos. Cut the salmon into small bite size pieces and enjoy as a taco. Add your favorite toppings for an easy meal.
- Wraps. Enjoy a healthy lunch or dinner with leftover salmon and salad greens.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can refrigerate the leftovers in an airtight container for up to 3 days. Leftover salmon is delicious and is easy for meal prep.
Be careful reheating and only cook until heated through. You do not want to dry the salmon out. We like to reheat in the oven on a baking dish, but you can also reheat in the microwave.
Either is fine to use in this recipe. It is very easy to remove skin from salmon once cooked.
If you are concerned with the salmon drying out, fillets with skin often retain more moisture. It also helps to prevent overcooking.
More Grilled Seafood Recipes
- Grilled shrimp foil packet
- Grilled Mahi Mahi Recipe
- Easy Grilled Shrimp Kabobs
- The Best Grilled tilapia Recipe
We love to hear from you. If you make this Grilled Salmon in Foil Recipe, please leave us a comment or a star review.
Grilled Salmon in Foil
- Let your salmon sit at room temperature for 10-15 minutes and preheat your grill over medium high heat (approximately 400 degrees F).
- Get a large piece of heavy duty foil and spray the foil with a non-stick cooking spray. Place half of the dill in lemon slices on the bottom of the foil and place the salmon filets on top.
- Then drizzle the melted butter on top of the salmon filets and top with more lemon slices and fresh dill. Then season the top of the filets with the minced garlic, salt and pepper.
- Wrap the foil around the salmon filets and seal it. Make sure it’s fully enclosed.
- Place the foil packet directly on the grill grates. Cover the grill and cook for 14-18 minutes.
- Then carefully unwrap the salmon so the top of the salmon is exposed. Cover the grill again and cook for 3-5 minutes until the top of the color is a darker pink color. Make sure that the salmon has a safe internal temperature of 145 degrees F.
- Carefully remove the foil packet from the grill and then the salmon is ready to serve and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe