Enjoy Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe in just 20 minutes any day of the week thanks to this easy recipe. If you are craving soup and need a super fast and delicious recipe, this is the best chicken noodle soup!
Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe
Sometimes I am in the mood for homemade chicken noodle soup, but I simply don’t always have the time to make it. However, you really can have homemade chicken noodle soup recipe in 20 minutes or less.
All you need is the chicken already cooked. Now you can just shred up a rotisserie chicken or you can make your own.
Not only does it save time and money but it tastes amazing. We love tips like this because they make dinner so easy!
Chicken noodle soup ingredients:
- cooked shredded chicken – I usually use chicken breasts for this recipe but chicken thighs would work great too. You can use leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken or boil some chicken if you don’t have either of those on hand.
- chicken broth – or chicken stock would work great as well.
- carrots – whole carrots that have been peeled and diced. You can use baby carrots. If you use baby carrots, ensure that you dice them up so that they are easy to eat in this soup.
- onion – I usually dice them small
- celery – I usually dice them small so that they easily fit on a spoon for serving.
- bay leaf
- Minced Garlic– Garlic salt or garlic powder would work great too if you don’t have any minced garlic on hand.
- salt and black pepper to taste
- egg noodles – I prefer egg noodles but rotini would work great too. Check the cook time on the pasta that you use in this recipe as more time might be needed.
How to make homemade chicken noodle soup:
In a stock pot or large pot, drizzle olive oil. Add in the onions, carrots and celery and cook until they become soft.
Next, add chicken broth, chicken, water, and seasonings. Then bring to a boil.
Allow the vegetables to continue to cook and the chicken to thaw and heat up.
Finally, add pasta and cook on medium-high for about 10 minutes until the pasta is cooked to al dente.
Then you can top with fresh parsley when serving. The entire family will love this easy chicken noodle soup recipe.
How do you add flavor to chicken soup?
The chicken broth combined with the seasonings give this soup the best flavor. You will absolutely love how amazing this tastes. Make sure that you use a good quality broth as this is what adds flavor to this soup. I also prefer a low sodium broth as it has lower salt in it and then I can easily control the amount of salt in this soup.
Also, you’ll be surprised on what a little salt and pepper can add to a soup recipe. I usually taste test my soups as they are cooking and add more salt and pepper at the end if more is needed.
What to eat with chicken noodle soup:
We love to serve this soup with crackers or warm bread like Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls Recipe or these Homemade Hawaiian rolls. Bread is my favorite side dish to serve with this soup.
I love serving soups with homemade breads that I can easily dip into the flavorful broth in this recipe.
Check out What to Serve with Chicken Noodle Soup for more chicken noodle soup side dishes.
Can this soup be made ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this soup ahead of time and store it in an air tight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. If you make this soup ahead of time, I recommend waiting to add in the noodles until you are ready to serve. The noodles will soak up the broth as it sits and they may become soggy
Then when you’re ready to enjoy the soup, heat it up in a large pot on the stoveop and then add in the dried noodles and cook until the tenderness that you prefer.
Can this soup be frozen?
Yes, this soup can be frozen for up to 3 months in a freezer safe, air tight container. Again, I would wait to add the noodles if you are going to freeze this soup as they will soak up the broth.
When ready to serve, defrost the soup out in the refrigerator, reheat on the stovetop and add in the dried noodles to cook to your preference.
Save time and use Rotisserie Chicken:
We are all about keeping life simple and making dinner easier. You don’t have to use a rotisserie chicken but it sure makes life easier when you do!
I love to serve the rotisserie chicken for dinner one night and then shred the leftovers for soup the next day or later in the week. You can also freeze the chicken to have on hand for future use.
Tips for this Chicken Noodle Soup Recipe:
- Use a Food Processor to Dice Veggies – I love using a food processor to dice the veggies for my favorite soup recipes. A food process is easy to use to dice up all my veggies and makes them small enough to easily serve on a spoon.
- Dice up extra Vegetables – When I make this soup, I will dice up all the vegetables at one time and freeze the leftovers to use in other soup recipe. For example, I will dice up the entire bag of celery, use what I need for this recipe and then freezer the leftovers so they are easy to grab for when I’m ready to make another soup for my family.
- Use Leftover Chicken – This soup is great to make with leftover chicken. I will initially make extra chicken one night so that I can use the leftovers in this soup another night of the week!
- Use what Herbs you have – I love using thyme in this recipe but if you don’t have any on hand and don’t want to buy an entire bottle for this one recipe, use different herbs instead that you already have in pantry. The flavor will be a little different than in my recipe but will still be delicious! Rosemary, Oregano or Basil would all work great in this easy soup recipe.
Better than Store Bought:
Once you see just how simple this recipe is, you will never buy the canned soup again. It is so easy to make chicken noodle from scratch and the flavor is amazing.
It is the best comfort food and everyone will love this soup.
Variation Ideas for this Soup Recipe:
- Make it creamy – Add in a cup of heavy cream or whole milk into the soup for the last 5-10 minutes of the cook time to make a creamy chicken noodle soup.
- Add more veggies – This soup is a great way to get in some of those healthy veggies. You can add in your favorite type. Stirring in fresh spinach or kale toward the end of the cook time is an easy way to add in my nutritional vegetables to this recipe.
- Add a little bit of lemon – If you love lemon, add a small amount of lemon juice (½ a lemon) right before serving to give this soup a delicious and sweet lemon flavor.
- Use Potatoes or Rice – If you don’t love noodles or maybe your family cannot have gluten, this soup is delicious with diced up potatoes or cooked rice stirred into it instead of the noodles.
Can this soup be made in a crock pot?
Crock Pot Chicken Noodle Soup is easy to make as well. I use a different type of noodle in this recipe but either would work great in this soup.
This soup can also be made in the Instant Pot too.
Print this chicken noodle soup with chicken breast recipe below:
20 Minute Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 8 cups chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 celery stalks chopped
- 4 whole carrots chopped
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 cup Egg noodles
- 2 cup water
- In a stock post drizzle with olive oil.
- Cook the carrots/celery/onion mixture for 5-8 minutes until beginning to become soft.
- Add chicken broth, water, and seasonings. Bring to a boil. Allow the vegetables to continue to cook and the chicken to heat threw.
- Add pasta and cook on medium-high for about 10 minutes.
- Remove the bay leaves.
- Serve with your favorite rolls, like our Homemade Hawaiian rolls.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
Looks delicious. We always have grilled cheese with our chicken noodle soup!
My kids love this soup and in the cooler months they ask for it weekly. Their usually not a big fan of veggies but they love this soup.
Excited for soup weather! There’s something so comforting about warming up with a nice, hot bowl of soup! I serve it with a simple sliced Italian bread with butter.
I would serve homemade warm bead with butter. My mouth is drooling looking at this picture. I know whats for supper!
i love this recipe i am always serving it with crusty bread or grilled cheese sandwiches and the recipe is perfect the way it is
This soup looks amazing. I think a grilled cheese would go great with it!
I would add a small squeeze of fresh lemon at the end.
This soup sound delicious. Since it is thanksgiving this weekend in Canada will probably make this soup with leftover turkey with a side of fresh baked bisquits.
haven’t made it yet, but the recipe looks perfect. I would have a toasted slice of beer bread on the side just to have the crunch.
This looks great! I might add a little Velveeta cheese to thicken it up a bit and serve it with crusty garlic bread.
I would serve French Bread that is buttered and garlic added with this Chicken Noodle Soup.
The soup looks really good and I may have to try it. The only thing I would add would be whole button mushrooms. I love them in soups.
I would serve the soup with some crusty bread or crunchy crackers. And I would probably add button mushrooms.
Favorite soup served with crackers and bread, either biscuits or bread. Only thin to add is parmesan cheese to the top of the soup when serving.
I like to order some fresh ginger to the broth and serve with favorite homemade rolls.
Love that idea!
I’m going to make batches and freeze this for when I have our baby #2! I like to add making some quick biscuits from scratch for my hubby!
My family and i serve chicken noodle soup with homemade beer bread and we add homemade or a can of cream of chicken soup and onion.
Yes that would work. both are great.
I love do that too. I love reames noodles
See More Comments