This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Enjoy everything you love about meatloaf in these tasty Meatloaf Burgers. It is quick and easy while being the best comfort food.
What is a meatloaf burger?
All of the flavor of meatloaf is packed into these easy to eat burgers. It is the best combination of burgers and tender meatloaf. The meatloaf patties are perfect to sandwich between 2 hamburger buns.
What is the difference between meatloaf and a burger?
Meatloaf is typically a meat mixture of ground beef, bread crumbs, eggs, seasoning and more. Whereas a burger is just ground beef formed into a patty.
This tasty recipe combines both of these into an amazing meal everyone will go crazy for.
FOR THE PATTIES:
- Ground Beef
- Quick Oats
- Small Chopped Onion (diced into small pieces)
- Worcestershire sauce
- Dried Oregano
- Garlic Powder
- Salt and pepper
- Hamburger Buns
- Lettuce Leaves
- Tomato (sliced)
- Red Onion (sliced)
How to make meatloaf burgers:
- Step 1. Combine the meat mixture. Mix the patty ingredients together in a large bowl. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the ketchup for the patty toppings. Mix the ingredients together with your hands and form into 4 even patties.
- Step 2. Cook the patties. Heat in a large cast iron skillet over medium heat. Place the patties in the heated skillet. Brown each side for approximately 5-7 minutes (do not smash the patties down when you flip them).
- Step 3. Add the water. Then add 1 cup of water to the skillet and continue cooking the patties until the juices run clear. Spoon the reserved ketchup on top of each patty (approximately ½ tablespoon on each patty).
- Step 4. Heat the bread until toasted. Place the buns on a baking sheet and toast the buns. Serve the patties on the buns with the lettuce, tomatoes and sliced onions.
- Step 5. Serve warm and enjoy! They are delicious.
What to serve with meatloaf burgers?
- Homemade french fries. It is super easy to make homemade fries and they are the perfect pairing for a hearty meatloaf sandwich.
- Bacon Wrapped Corn on the Cob. Corn on the cob is always a hit and even better with bacon.
- Easy baked beans recipe. The flavor of baked beans is perfect to serve with meatloaf burgers and this recipe is super easy.
- Onion. Red onion or sweet Vidalia onion taste great on meatloaf burgers. It is also really good with sauteed onions.
- Tomatoes. Thinly sliced tomatoes make the perfect topping.
- Lettuce. Butter leaf lettuce is so tender and delicious on meatloaf burgers.
- BBQ Sauce. Add your favorite brand of barbeque sauce on top.
- Mustard. Regular, honey mustard or Dijon mustard all make great options.
- Pickles. Sweet or dill pickles provide a crispy taste with lots of flavor.
- Sriracha Sauce. This is great alone or try mixing with mayo for a creamy spread.
The options are endless for toppings on these delicious meatloaf burgers. You can add these or try some of your favorite toppings.
Sometimes, we make a small topping bar and everyone can customize their meatloaf burger according to how they like it. It is fun and easy without much expense.
How to store:
Refrigerate any leftover patties in an airtight container for up to 5 days. You can also serve the leftovers on sandwich bread and they taste like amazing meatloaf sandwiches.
Reheat in the microwave until heated through. These burger patties make a great lunch or dinner and taste good reheated. You can go ahead and package the burgers individually to make it easy to grab and go.
Just do not place them on the bread or it will get soggy.
Recipe Substitutions and Additions:
- Brown Sugar. Add 1- 2 tablespoons of brown sugar to the ketchup that goes on top of the burgers. This adds a sweet and salty combination some people love in meatloaf.
- Cheese. Place a slice of cheese on top of the patties. Cheddar, Mozzarella and Pepper Jack make great choices.
- Hot Sauce. If you like things spicy, add your favorite hot sauce to the meat mixture. It is really yummy and you can add as much or as little as you prefer.
- Ground turkey. Substitute ground turkey for the ground beef in this recipe.
Tips for Meatloaf burger recipes:
- Cooking the patties. The meat should reach an internal temperature of 160 to 165 degrees. We use an instant read meat thermometer and it is so convenient.
- Don’t repeatedly keep flipping the burgers. Try not to continuously flip the burgers. This will result in burgers that are not as tender or juicy.
- Same size patties. Try to form the meat mixture into 4 same sized patties. This will make for even cooking.
- Lean meat. We prefer to use lean ground beef so each patty will shrink less. Ground beef with a higher fat content will shrink significantly.
- Low carb option. Trying to reduce carbs? Skip the bun and wrap the patty in lettuce to make a yummy wrap. You still get all the flavor of meatloaf that you love.
Can you make meatloaf burger recipe in advance?
Yes, it is a very easy to meal prep. Combine everything as instructed and form the patties. Cover and store inside an airtight container.
Refrigerate until you are ready to cook. This is a great way to save time during busy weeknights packed with lots of activities.
Make these burgers for dinner.
If you are tired of the same old stuff, try this burger recipe for a great change. It is so wonderful and loaded with the best flavor. This recipe is the best combination of meatloaf and burgers packed into one meal.
The ingredients are simple and most of them are pantry staples. It is an easy weeknight meal that tastes really special without the work.
Print the recipe for Meatloaf burgers below:
FOR THE PATTIES:
- Mix the patty ingredients together in a small bowl. Reserve 2 Tablespoons of the ketchup for the patty toppings. Mix the ingredients together with your hands and form into 4 even patties.
- Heat in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the patties in the heated skillet. Brown each side for approximately 5-7 minutes (do not smash the patties down when you flip them). Then add 1 cup of water to the skillet and continue cooking the patties until the juices run clear. Spoon the reserved ketchup on top of each Pattie (approximately ½ tablespoon on each patty).
- Toast the buns and serve the patties on the buns with the lettuce, tomatoes and sliced onions.
- Serve warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More easy burger recipes:
- Smash Burger Recipe
- Grilled Taco Burger Recipe
- Chorizo Burger
- Peanut Butter Burger Recipe
- Bacon Blue Cheese Burger
- Jalapeno popper burger sliders
- Air fryer hamburgers