This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Teriyaki chicken kabobs are tangy and sweet with lots of veggies, pineapple and chicken. Make these for your next cookout for an easy and budget friendly meal.
Teriyaki chicken kabobs
I love making kabobs on the grill. It is a great way to stretch your meat because everything gets layered with vegetables. Plus, your kitchen stays cool and clean!
This new recipe for Teriyaki chicken kabobs is so easy but loaded with flavor. The teriyaki sauce is so yummy that even the kiddos will eat their veggies. The sauce makes everything amazing!
Let’s get grilling!
- chicken breasts – cut into cubes. You can also use chicken thighs. Both are delicious.
- brown sugar
- low sodium soy sauce (See The Best Soy Sauce Substitutes)
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Minced Garlic
- ground ginger
- ground pepper
- Fresh Pineapple – cut into 2″ pieces
- Green Bell Pepper – cut into 2″ pieces
- Red Bell Pepper – cut into 2″ pieces
- Red Onion – quartered
- Bamboo Skewers
- Sesame Seeds – this is optional but great for topping.
Feel free to omit veggies you do not like or add ones you do. I also like mushrooms and sometimes add those to a few. It is really easy to customize these based on preference.
I also like to make a few skewers with only vegetables. They make a good side and the marinate is so delicious on them.
How to make teriyaki chicken kabobs:
First, soak the bamboo skewers in water. I like to use a shallow pan filled with warm water and then I can just put the skewers right in that. They need to soak about 30 minutes. This is to prevent the wood from burning on the grill.
Another option is metal skewers and you do not need to soak those.
Second, get a large mixing bowl and add the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper. Whisk all this together really good. Take half of the mixture and put it in a seprate bowl.
Now, add the chicken, veggies and pineapple to the large bowl and mix with the teriyaki sauce to coat the chicken. It needs to marinate for at least 30 minutes but I like to do it overnight. Not only does it save time the next day with everything being cut up but the flavor is incredible when you let this marinate overnight.
Go ahead and preheat the grill on medium high heat.
Let’s make the kabobs. Just thread the chicken, bell peppers, pineapple, onion and another piece of chicken onto the skewer. Keep making kabobs until all the ingredients have been used.
Finally, put them on the grill for 15 minutes. You need to rotate often so they are cooked evenly.
Use the sauce you put in a separate bowl and baste the kabobs with it right before serving. Don’t skip this step because it really makes the kabobs even better.
You can top with sesame seeds if you prefer.
How to bake teriyaki chicken kabobs:
If you can’t grill, try baking chicken kabobs in the oven. Sometimes, the weather just does not allow for grilling so bake them instead!
Preheat the oven to 450 and bake for 20 to 30 minutes. The internal temperature of the chicken needs to be 165 degrees. Baking times will vary based on how thick you slice the chicken.
Try teriyaki chicken kabobs in oven.
This is a tasty and easy way to enjoy chicken kabobs all year round.
You can refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Ideas for side dishes:
- Grilled Asparagus Recipe
- Foil Pack Grilled Potatoes
- Parmesan Grilled Corn on the Cob
- How to Grill Corn on the Cob
Print the recipe for teriyaki chicken kabobs recipe:
Teriyaki chicken kabobs
- 3 chicken breasts cut into cubes
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1/4 cup Honey
- 2 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- Fresh Pineapple cut into 2? pieces
- Green Bell Pepper seeded and cut into 2? pieces
- Red Bell Pepper seeded and cut into 2? pieces
- Red Onion quartered
- Bamboo Skewers
- Sesame Seeds optional for toppings
- Soak bamboo skewers in a shallow pan filled with warm water. Let soak for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl add the brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, honey, garlic, ginger and pepper. Mix well. Reserve half of this mixture and move it to a separate bowl. Add the chicken, veggies and pineapple to the large bowl and stir well to coat. Let marinate for 30 minutes or overnight.
- Preheat grill on medium high heat.
- Thread chicken, bell peppers, pineapple, onion and another piece of chicken onto the skewer. Repeat until all ingredients are used.
- Cook on medium high heat for 15 minutes (rotating frequently so that they are cooked evenly). Baste the kabobs with the reserved sauce right before serving and top with the sesame seeds.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe