This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Creamy cucumber Salad is the perfect side dish for your next cookout. It is creamy, tangy and budget friendly. Serve it with grilled hot dogs and parmesan grilled corn for an easy and delicious dinner.
I love cucumbers and we almost always have some in the fridge. We often make this easy Cucumber Salad and it’s always a hit. However, I was in the mood for something creamy one day and this Creamy Cucumber salad was born!
The next time you need to bring an easy side dish, sign up to bring this for your next barbecue or potluck. It is a guaranteed hit and won’t blow your grocery budget. If you like the idea of a creamy salad, then try this Creamy cucumber tomato salad.
Table of Contents
Why This Recipe Works
This creamy cucumber salad is the ultimate side dish. It is light, creamy and full of fresh ingredients. The ingredients are simple and easily combine in a bowl for very little prep work.
This is my summertime go-to recipe as the ingredients are the freshest and always a crowd favorite.
- Long English Cucumbers
- Red Onion, Sliced
- Sour Cream
- Fresh Dill Weed (chopped) (See The Best Fresh Dill Substitutes)
- White Vinegar
- Kosher Salt
- Garlic Powder
Scroll to the bottom for the full recipe and ingredients in the recipe card.
- Cucumbers – We prefer English cucumbers but you can use regular cucumbers instead. I suggest scooping out the seeds if using regular cucumbers because it will water down the salad and make it soggy.
- Onions– Red onions give this salad a pretty pop of color. Other good options include: white onions and sweet Vidalia onions.
- Skip the Sour Cream – Not in the mood for something creamy? Omit the sour cream and make this Cucumber Onion Salad. It is just as simple but all vinegar based instead of the creamy version.
- Seasoning – Feel free to change the seasoning for added flavor. Add in fresh herbs such as parsley, chives, basil or black pepper. Fresh lemon juice is always a great addition.
- Sour Cream – You can also substitute the sour cream for mayo or Greek Yogurt.
Step by Step Instructions
Step 1 – Peel the cucumbers. I like to use a fork to score the edges. It is so easy and the cucumbers look so pretty. Just run a fork down the side of the cucumbers to do this.
Step 2 – Slice the cucumbers into 1/4″ slices. This is not necessary but I like to use a mandoline slicer to slice the cucumbers. It is so handy and you definitely will get a lot of use out of this.
Step 3 – Combine the sour cream, dill, vinegar and other seasonings together in a small mixing bowl.
Step 4 – Finally, add the cucumbers and red onions with the dressing.
- Prepare Ingredients – Prepare the ingredients ahead of time but chopping them. We like to chop them about the same size pieces and to make them easier to eat.
- Combine the Dressing – Mix the dressing easily in a bowl until everything is fully combined.
- Refrigerate – Before serving the cucumber salad, make sure to chill for at least an hour.
Frequently Asked Questions
Cucumber salad will last 3-4 days in the fridge if stored inside an airtight container. However, it is best fresh.
Yes, it actually tastes best if it is made at least 2 hours in advance and refrigerated to let the flavors combine. You can easily make this ahead to save time and then just grab and go when you are ready to serve.
Plus, it gives all the flavors time to combine and tastes amazing.
More Easy Salad Recipes
- Easy Macaroni Salad Recipe
- Paula Deen’s Broccoli Salad Recipe
- Easy Pasta Salad Recipe
- Easy Ramen Noodle Salad Recipe
- Easy Creamy Greek Salad Recipe
- Easy Creamy Greek Salad Recipe
We love to hear from you. If you make this Creamy Cucumber Salad Recipe, please leave a message or a star review.
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- Peel the cucumbers and score the edge with a fork by running a fork down the side of the cucumbers.
- Slice the cucumbers into 1/4″ slices.
- Combine the sour cream, fresh dill, vinegar, sugar, salt and garlic powder together in small bowl.
- Toss the cucumbers and red onions together with the dressing.
- Refrigerate for 1 hour and then serve cold.
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe