This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Slow Cooker Sausage Potato Soup Recipe will satisfy even the pickiest of eaters. The sausage is so filling and the potatoes make the recipe creamy and delicious.
We love making Soup Recipes once the weather gets colder. But I have known to make it during the summer months. If you love sausage you might like Sausage Kale White Bean Soup and Crockpot Sausage Tortellini Soup.
What is the Best Potato to hold up in Soup?
We used russet potatoes in this recipe, but you can also use Yukon Gold Potatoes. I have even used red potatoes for an amazing soup idea.
- Ground Italian Sausage
- Minced Garlic
- Russet Potatoes
- Salt and Pepper
- Chicken Broth
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Parmesan Cheese for toppings
For the full list of ingredients and recipe, scroll to the bottom for the recipe card.
- Sausage Variations – Feel free to change the sausage to make this recipe. You can brown spicy italian sausage or turkey sausage. You can also use pork sausage or breakfast sausage for this soup.
- Add in Vegetables – Add color and flavor to this soup by mixing in some additional vegetables. We love to add in shredded carrots, spinach, and celery. You can even add potatoes and corn together for delicious flavor.
- Chicken Broth – We used low-sodium chicken broth in this recipe, but you can use chicken stock instead.
- Spices – The seasoning for this recipe is easy. But if you want an extra tastes extra spice add in red pepper flakes. We recommend starting with a teaspoon at a time.
- Change the Meat – If you prefer, you can change the meat in this soup. You can use diced ham or shredded chicken. You can even add in cooked ground beef.
How do you Make Potato Sausage Soup:
- Step 1 – Cook Sausage – Brown the ground sausage and drain the fat.
- Step 2 – Add ingredients to crock pot – Add everything else except the whipping cream to slow cooker. I like to cook it on low for several hours.
- Step 3 – Stir Ingredients – Stir to combine.
- Step 4 – Cook Soup – Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours on low or on high for 3 hours.
- Step 5 – Add in Heavy Cream – Stir in the heavy whipping cream. Cover and cook on low for 10-15 minutes until the cream is heated through.
- Step 6 – Serve and Enjoy – Serve warm topped with the parmesan cheese and enjoy! You can even top with cheddar cheese and green onions for delicious flavor.
What to Serve with Sausage Potato Soup?
This meal is a delicious one pot meal and you do not need much else. I usually keep things very simple.
- Crackers – Serve this soup with your favorite crackers. There are many options to choose from and all perfect for dipping.
- French Bread – Make a loaf of french bread have something to dip into the soup. This allows you to get every last bit of all that creamy and delicious broth.
- Simple Salad – Make a simple green salad or roasted vegetables for a delicious option. Because this soup is rich and hearty, a simple side salad is always a great option.
- Dinner Rolls – I have made these Easy Homemade Dinner Rolls and they were delicious.
- Cornbread – Another good idea is cornbread. It is perfect for dipping or crumbling into the soup.
These are our most favorite toppings but you can use whatever you like in your potato soup.
- Cheddar Cheese
- Bacon -cooked and crumbled
- Green Onions
- Sour Cream (greek yogurt works great too)
- Saltine Crackers
How to Thicken Potato Soup:
If you find your potato soup to be runnier than you’d like, you can easily thicken it. One of the easiest ways to thicken your soup is with flour.
To mix in flour to the soup. Mix in a small bowl add 1 tablespoon of flour to 2 tablespoons of the soup. Whisk together until completely combine.
Pour this mixture into the soup and heat for a few minutes. It may take up to 15 minutes to thicken the soup.
If you want the soup thicker, repeat this process. Also see How to Thicken Potato Soup for more easy ideas.
- Chopping Ingredients – Make sure to chop the vegetables about the same size. This makes sure that the ingredients cook evenly in the slow cooker.
- Cooking Soup – Cook the soup until the potatoes are tender. We like to cook on low for about 5 hours.
- Heavy Cream – Make sure to add the heavy cream towards the end of cooking the soup. Do not add with the other ingredients as the cream will break down.
- Stovetop – You can easily make this sausage potato soup on the stovetop. Cook the soup over medium heat in a saucepan or Dutch oven. Bring to a Boil the potatoes in water and then simmer over low heat.
- Serving – You can easily serve this soup with a slotted spoon. But we like use a ladle to get all the broth.
- Hand grate the cheese – If you are topping the soup shred the cheese instead of buying pre-shredded. The cheese will melt smoother. Pre shredded cheese will make the soup stringy.
- Thicken Soup – If you need to thicken the soup use cornstarch and water mixture to add to the soup. Cornstarch slurry is the best to add thickness to your soup.
Frequently Asked Questions:
Store your leftovers in the fridge. Make sure to cool your soup to room temperature before placing in storage. This soup will last up to 4 days.
Yes, you can freeze this soup. This is a great way to double the recipe and enjoy another time. Allow it to cool completely and then place in freezer containers or bags. It really is very simple to freeze soup and we have learned a lot of freezer tips along the way. This soup will stay fresh for up to 3 months.
This soup can be prepared ahead of time and stored in the fridge. We recommend making it no more than 2 days ahead of time. Place in an air tight container and place in the fridge.
Once ready to store, pour the soup in the slow cooker or sauce pan to reheat. Then serve with your favorite sides and toppings.
Try these Crock Pot Soup Recipes:
- Crock pot Cheeseburger Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Black Bean Cilantro Soup
- Easy Crock pot Lasagna Soup Recipe
- Crockpot Creamy Taco Soup
- Ham and Potato Soup Crock pot Recipe
We love hearing from you. If you make this Creamy Sausage Potato Soup, leave us a comment or a star review.
Crock Pot Sausage Potato Soup Recipe
- Brown the ground sausage and drain any remaining fat.
- Add the ground sausage to a crock pot.
- Place in the minced garlic, onion, potato, salt, pepper, and broth in the crock pot.
- Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 5-6 hours on low or on high for 3 hours.
- Stir in the heavy whipping cream. Cover and cook on low for 10-15 minutes until the cream is heated through.
- Serve warm topped with the parmesan cheese and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe