This post may contain affiliate links. If you make a purchase through links on our site, we may earn a commission.
Make creamy Instant pot mashed sweet potatoes in less than 15 minutes from start to finish. This no fuss side dish option is fluffy and delicious.
Instant pot mashed sweet potatoes
If you need an alternative to traditional mashed potatoes, try making Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes. The pressure cooker makes them incredibly tender and so easy to mash.
There is just a hint of garlic but it is not overpowering at all. It enhances the flavor perfectly. From instant pot to the dinner table, this side dish is super fast.
I love that it uses the pressure cooker so it is one less thing on the stove taking up space. Plus, you can literally whip these up right before guests arrive ensuring they are still warm.
These creamy mashed sweet potatoes come together quickly for a flavor packed side dish everyone will enjoy.
- Large Sweet Potatoes – peeled and cut into approximately 1 inch pieces. Try to cut them the same size so they cook evenly.
- Minced Garlic – Garlic powder can be substituted if that is all you have.
- Milk – I would use at least 2% milk in this dish. Use whole milk for richer mashed sweet potatoes.
- Butter – Real butter is best and not margarine.
- Salt and Pepper
How to make instant pot mashed sweet potatoes
First, you need to put 1 cup of water in the bottom of the instant pot. Then place the steam basket into the instant pot.
Second, peel and dice the sweet potatoes and add to the steam basket.
Next, seal and lock the lid. Cook on high pressure for 8 minutes with a quick release to release the pressure. The cook time is minimum making this super easy to make.
Once the potatoes have finished cooking, take the steam basket with the potatoes out of the instant pot. Drain the liquid from the instant pot.
Now that all of the liquid is out, put the cooked sweet potatoes back in the instant pot. Sprinkle the garlic, salt and pepper.
Pour in the milk and add the butter.
Finally, beat the potatoes with a hand held mixer on medium speed. Mix just until all of the ingredients are combined and the desired consistency. Don’t overmix.
I like to do a taste test and make sure the mashed sweet potatoes don’t need extra salt and pepper.
The instant pot sweet potatoes are best served right away while warm.
Jump to recipe below.
- Pressure Cooker – I typically use an 8 quart but a 6 quart instant pot would work too.
- Electric Mixer – You can use a potato masher but an electric mixer is so much faster.
Tips for pressure cooking
- It is important to use the steamer basket so the potatoes are elevated. This will allow the steam in the electric pressure cooker to more evenly cook the potatoes.
- You need 1 cup of water for about 2 pounds potatoes. Keep this in mind if you use a different amount of potatoes so you can adjust the water accordingly.
Tips for creamy mashed sweet potatoes
- Don’t over mix the sweet potatoes so they stay light and fluffy. Once they get to the right texture, just leave them alone. Resist the urge to keep beating them because the more you mix the more starch is released.
- Mix the potatoes while they are hot. Once potatoes cool, you run into the issue of starches being released. Then you will have potatoes that are not fluffy.
- Make sure that you have added the butter before you start mixing the potatoes. The fat helps the texture of the potatoes stay fluffy in the sweet potato mash.
Can you leave the peeling on?
- Yes, you can and it will add extra fiber. We prefer it without the peelings but you do what you like.
Ways to flavor mashed sweet potatoes:
- Honey or Maple syrup make great add-ins for a sweet taste. It does not take much and a drizzle will do the trick.
- Cinnamon – Sprinkle about a ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon when mashed the potatoes.
- Brown sugar – If you like sweetness to your mashed potatoes, then add in brown sugar. I would start with a ¼ cup fo brown sugar and add more if needed.
- Chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans.
- Kids love to top the mashed sweet potatoes with mini marshmallows.
- Sprinkle bacon and green onion on top.
- Replace water with chicken stock.
How to make ahead:
These can be made a day in advance if needed. Just make sure to keep them well covered in the fridge.
When you are ready to serve, reheat on the stovetop or microwave until heated all the way through.
You may need to add a splash of milk if they are too dry or too thick.
How to store leftovers:
Allow the leftover mashed sweet potatoes to cool completely. Then refrigerate the leftovers in an air tight container for up to 3 to 4 days.
Vegan mashed sweet potatoes instant pot recipe:
Substitute coconut milk or almond for the regular milk, and ghee for the butter to make this vegan mashed sweet potatoes
What to serve with mashed sweet potatoes:
- Oven Roasted Turkey Breast – So tender and juicy. It is seasoned to perfection and perfect for any holiday dinner.
- Instant Pot Turkey Breast – This is a game changer. Learn how to cook turkey in a fraction of the time and it is so tender and flavorful.
- Instant Pot Spiral Ham – Make tender ham in minutes thanks to the pressure cooker. The ham is tender and flavorful for a great meal.
Print this instant pot mashed sweet potatoes recipe:
Instant Pot Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Place 1 cup of water to the bottom of an instant pot. Place the steam basket into the instant pot and then put the diced up sweet potatoes into the steam basket.
- Seal and cook on high pressure for 8 minutes with a quick release.
- Remove the steam basket with the potatoes and drain the excess liquid from the instant pot.
- Add the potatoes back to the instant pot. Then add in the garlic, milk, butter, salt and pepper.
- Beat the potatoes with a hand held mixer on medium speed until all the ingredients are combined and are the desired consistency (be careful not to over mix).
- Taste test the mashed sweet potatoes and add in more slat and pepper if needed.
- Serve immediately while warm and enjoy!
Pin This Now to Remember It LaterPin Recipe
More sweet potato recipes:
- how to bake sweet potatoes
- Easy Sweet Potato Casserole Recipe with Apples
- Sweet Potato Casserole
- Crock Pot Sweet Potatoes
- Grilled Sweet Potatoes
- Homemade Mashed Sweet Potatoes
- Crock Pot Sweet Potato Casserole