This Easy Chicken Enchilada Foil Packet is perfect for busy nights. Cleanup is a breeze when everything is cooked in one of these handy foil packs. The chicken, cheese and rice combine together for a meal bursting with flavor! It’s sure to be a hit with the entire family!
Easy Chicken Foil Packet
My family loves enchiladas but they can be a lot of work to make. Sometimes I just don’t have time to make the filling, heat the tortillas, roll them and cook them. Thankfully, I can make this easy enchilada foil packet instead! You get all the flavor of traditional enchiladas without all the work!
The enchilada sauce and cheese is delicious on the rice and chicken in this meal. The beans add a ton of flavor. It truly is an amazing meal! If you love Mexican food, you must give this a try! We keep this on our regular menu plan rotation and it’s great for busy nights.
Life is so busy and this meal is just the recipe for crazy weeks! Another tip I have to make this meal even easier, is to use rice that is frozen. Do you know how to freeze rice? It’s so simple and really convenient to take out for busy nights.
Supplies needed for a Foil Pack Dinner:
Don’t take a chance on cheap aluminum foil. The heavy duty foil holds up great on the grill. This recipe has a lot of ingredients and you do not want the packet breaking! That defeats the purpose of easy cleanup.
- Chicken breasts
- Diced Tomatoes with Green Chiles
- Green Enchilada Sauce
- Black beans
- Minced garlic
- Salt and Pepper
- Cooked Rice
- Cheddar Cheese
How to make Chicken Enchilada Foil Packets
- Cut the chicken into bite size pieces and pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the cheddar cheese and mix together.
- Spoon chicken mixture between 4 large sheets heavy duty foil sprayed with non stick cooking spray then wrap the foil tightly around the contents to form your foil packs.
- Preheat the grill over medium high heat.
- Place the foil packets on the grill, close lid, heat over high heat for about 8 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through. If you are making multiple packets make sure to rotate them around the grill. Place the finished ones in an unlit area, cover and keep them wrapped to keep them warm while the other packets cook!
- Carefully open each foil packet and top each one with the cups shredded cheese.
- Re-close the packets and allow the heat from the meal and then enjoy!
How to Bake in the Oven:
If you don’t have a grill or want to make these in the Winter months, this recipe can also be made easily in the oven. To make in the oven, place the foil packets on a baking sheet.
Then bake in the oven at 425 degrees F for approximately 20-25 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F.
I used a meat thermometer to make sure that the chicken is cooked to a safe temperature before eating. It’s easy to use!
I love serving mine with topped with sour cream and cilantro. But you can easily top this foil packet with your favorite enchilada toppings.
Here are a few of my favorite toppings:
- homemade salsa
- red onions
- green onions
- any remaining enchilada sauce
What to serve with chicken enchilada foil pack?
This recipe is very filling. You can easily serve it by itself but it’s always great served with a delicious dip recipe too. Here are some of my favorite queso and other dip recipes that go great with this Chicken Enchilada meal!
- Mexican White Cheese Dip
- Crock Pot Rotel Dip
- Quick Salsa Verde Recipe
- Easy Guacamole Recipe
- 7 Layer Dip Recipe
You can easily switch up the ingredients in this recipe to make it your own!
Chicken – You can use diced beef instead of chicken if you prefer beef enchiladas instead of chicken. I would use diced steak of your choice or diced stew meat would be delicious too!
Bean – I love black beans in this recipe but any will work in this recipe. Pinto beans or white beans would be delicious. You also only stir in 1/4 cups refried beans in the chicken mixture as well.
Enchilada Sauce – Green enchilada sauce is my favorite in this recipe but red enchilada sauce would be delicious too!
Print this Easy Chicken Enchilada Foil Packet Recipe below:
This easy chicken enchilada foil packet meal will be a hit with the entire family! Easy chicken enchilada foil dinner is packed with yummy chicken, cheese, beans and more! Try Easy chicken enchilada foil packet recipe. Cleanup is a breeze!
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 can diced tomatoes with green chilies 10 oz. can, drained
- 1 can green enchilada sauce 10 oz. can
- 1 can black beans 15 oz. can, drained and rinsed
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 1 cup cheese cheddar – shredded
Cut the chicken into 1 inch pieces.
In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients except the cheddar cheese and mix together.
Divide the chicken mixture between four 12×12 inch sheets of foil, then wrap the foil tightly around the contents to form your foil packs.
Grill over high heat for about 8 minutes on each side or until the chicken is cooked through.
Carefully unwrap the foil packets. Top each one with the shredded cheddar cheese, gently wrap the foil back and allow the heat from the meal to melt the cheese.
Serve warm and enjoy!
These also can be baked on a baking sheet at 425 degrees F for about 20 minutes until cooked through and has reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
More foil packet dinners:
- Foil Packet Bacon Ranch Chicken recipe
- Foil Pack Santa Fe Chicken Dinner
- Parmesan Chicken Foil Pack
- Foil Pack Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe
- Foil Pack Italian Chicken and Veggies
- Mushroom Chicken Foil Packets
- Hobo Dinner Foil Packet Meal